Clock throttling misbehaving on latest drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Tyrchlis, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti
    I'm having to stick to the 381.89 WHQL set because when I update to anything later than that, everything will run fine for about a day and then GPU clocks will stick at 1568mhz on the desktop and will not return to the idle clocks of 240mhz. It might be a movie, or Facebook messenger, or any number of daily regular applications that suddenly cause it, but out of the blue it will just stop dropping to idle clocks.

If I keep the driver version on 381.89, I can usually go a week or so before having the clocks stick. Going into a game or benchmark can sometimes break it free on exiting and allows it to go back to idle clocks, but if not, then it stays stuck and I have to reinstall the driver again and it all starts working fine again.

This is CLEARLY a driver issue when a simple reinstall fixes it, but the issues with later driver versions causing this to happen quicker is concerning as I don't want to update drivers if my idle clocks are always gonna keep my GPU warmer then it should be at idle.

This is not a catastrophic issue, obviously. Not even any kind of emergency, I have at least a work around in place to hold me over until I figure out what's going on. Any hints though of where I can look, be it bios or elsewhere to dig this problem out and fix it would be appreciated though :p

Edit: Specs listed in specs section to the right

2. evgenim

evgenim Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 OC
    Try to add "explorer.exe" into nvidia profile and force there adaptive power consuming.

3. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    Are you running 1440p 144hz or ubove? Its been an nvidia bug for a very long time now , gsync seems to fix it (due to another bug which makes gsync stick in desktop mode :D )