1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clearing up Confusion on 9800GX2 driver support

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by nerdface, Nov 20, 2008.

1. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    Still not a valid excuse. I don't know why you are defending what nvidia has done, it's not a good business practice and the end result is a loss in customers. Not to mention there isn't a single thing wrong with the videocard other than it competes very well with the current top dog they have, which is exactly why they've ditched support. Why pay $450 for a videocard that can be outperformed in some cases by a $270 one? That is the only logical reason I can see in dropping support for the 9800 GX2.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. mattymaxima

mattymaxima Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI
    Im not defending Nvidia. I too think it is very bad business but I never plan to hold on to ANY video card more than 5-6 months anyways so I guess it doesnt affect me as much. I know most cant afford to go out and buy a new GFX card every few months and I would hate to be put in the same situation but I mean think of it this way. The only way Nvidia can stick around is by selling new video cards no matter how they run and what not. If the older one is sufficient than Nvidia has no real way of making any more money and THEN there would be NO support for ANY card for the future.

I almost bought a 9800GX2 awhile back but then starting hearing horror stories and I was comfortable buying 2 $200 cards to equal the same performance with no issues.

I would consider moving to ATI or something too if I were you but overall I think Nvidia does a better job with its drivers for all products than ATI, unfortunately not for one or 2 products (9800GX2 and 7950GX2)

I personally think they are kinda bad designs from the start. Cheaper and quick way to make better performance when true sli should be used or a better single solution.

3. nicklesss

nicklesss Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 / EK-FC480
    Have someone tried to run 9800 GX2 under Windows 7 x64?
    When I run games or benchmarks PC get freeze. After many attempts with drivers I decide to disable SLI in CP and all games and benchmarks get start to work perfect but only with one core and slowly of course:( When I enable SLI problems start again.
    I've found information by google that Windows 7 will not support Hybrid SLI and Cross fire (which is very stupid I think), but in my case this isn't Hybrid SLI, am I right or it's the same.

4. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    Matey, this OS is over a year away from release, it does not support these functions YET! When Vista came out, it didn't even have support for the latest Nvidia cards because the drivers weren't ready yet. So give it some time, I'm sure these functions will work just fine in the final build.

5. Surfa

Surfa Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi Sapphire HD5870
    I dont know who lied to you, but the GX2 is not in the same class as the GTX280 / 260. The 280 / 260 are much better cards simply because of the 1GB and 868mb video memory that allows them very high AA at high resolutions.

One example is.. GRID, at 1920x1200 my GX2 OC'd heavily would chug at 4xAA. my GTX280 OC'd to specs in the sig, runs it at 16xAA and 16xAF.

The GX2 was a great card with bad limiting factors (512mb vRAM and 256bit buffer) Its not in the same class, and definately isnt beating a GTX280 / 260. Its not even CLOSE to a 280 / 260 SLi.

6. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Do some research before making yourself look ignorant.

It does beat the 280 and the 260 in some cases. So get over it. It doesnt scratch the 280 or 260 SLI - obviously.

It is also flawed and not properly supported by Nividia, as the 280 will be before long, no doubt. The only way to win in the PC graphics game is to buy new kit every 6 months or so (which most of us do).

E

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  7. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    Yes, us nerdy hardware whores. But what I don't understand is that Nvidia is letting all the people down who really shell out for a great (and seriously expensive) video card for their new rig which they plan to keep for 2 years. If halfway into the first year your card starts losing driver support, chances are you'll buy something else next time around.

8. r3pent

r3pent Member Guru

GPU:
    4980 XFIRE
    well, my GX2 works great, it really does, and there is driver support aint there? im using the 180.48's, and they work, they score me 16556 in 3dmark 06, and 77000 in 03, theres proof that they work, in games i can have everything maxed almost, and play smoothly.
    reading all this has made me think about whether i made the right choice with this card, but as soon as i start a game i know i made the right choice.

can someone explain the reasons it keeps being said there is no support??

9. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Because there are problems with certain games that are very specific to the GX2.

Far Cry 2 and Crysis:WH are the best recent examples.

E

10. r3pent

r3pent Member Guru

GPU:
    4980 XFIRE
    what problems? i was playing farcry 2 just last night, not tried warhead with this new card yet, but i will right now, the only problem ive come up against is the new need for speed wont start, but i aint even looked for a solution but im guessing there is a simple one.

11. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    FC2 is apparently better since 180.48 (1+ months after the game was released) but go install 180.43, put everything on Ultra and turn on AA.

Enjoy the (slide) show.

I think Warhead is better as well ... but again, months after release.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  12. r3pent

r3pent Member Guru

GPU:
    4980 XFIRE
    ah ok, thanks for clearing that up ethne.

13. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X SC
    Love my GX2. I don't have any problems with any of my games that weren't due to an issue with the game itself. :)

14. weebeast

weebeast Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 9800GX2
    * Average Framerate: 53.67
    * Max. Framerate: 83.30
    * Min. Framerate: 36.40

No aa everything ulta high and 1680*1050.Its DX9

* Average Framerate: 36.50
    * Max. Framerate: 56.54
    * Min. Framerate: 25.95
    4 AA everything ulta high and 1680*1050.Its DX10

CPU running 2,67 ghz
    9800GX2 running http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/zrdas/

Is this bad with far cry 2?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  15. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Nothing wrong with those with that processor.

E