CLEANING 'Fluffy' HD 4870

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by IPW, Jun 28, 2011.

1. asingh

asingh Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4890 (X-Fire)
    @sykozis:
    4890, Powercolor. But yes, reference.

2. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    I learn something new evertime I start browsing here reading that is quite excellent advise I am shocked I never thought about it untill I read your post.:nerd:

3. Raven166

Raven166 Active Member

GPU:
    Palit Gtx460 1gb
    Sadly I somehow damaged my 4870 While doing this procedure. I've cleaned loads of cards. And everything went well until I put it back in the computer and turned it on and lines were all through the screen ;(

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    oven time.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sorry to hear that but the next time just use a can of compressed air every few months. Oven time or RMA it is then. DON'T NECRO :p

6. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    I gotta buy that electric duster, I'm using like 20€ a month on air dusters atm...

7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

Don't use oven to bake your graphic card, there is less than 50% chance for procedure to work and you can damage capacitors (most of them are 105 Celsius rated, and you must use temperatures above 200 Celsius!) or plastic parts on graphic card.
    Instead use this procedure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by4yJ4fpJig ...with few modifications:

1). Instead HotAir station you can use Heat Gun with good temperature and airflow controll like Skill 8004 AA: http://www.skileurope.com/general/en/diyocs/Tools/1199/1023/heat-guns/heat-gun/ ...and use hot air reduction nozzle with tool like that.

2). Isolate all parts around graphic chip with 2 layers of alu-foil

3). Don't warm up PCB or any other part od graphic card around GPU

4). Don't use temperatures above 350 Celsius, guy on video uses 420 Celsius but there is no need for that, 350 Celsius @ max will be quite enough. So, on part of video where he is using 420 Celsius I recomend you to use maximum 350 Celsius. Air from HotAir station or Heat gun nozzle is always hoter than chip below, that's why you need to use a bit higher temperature of air to be sure that tin ball solders between GPU and PCB are melted propperly.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  9. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
  10. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Sadly none who sell that electric duster will ship to Finland. Guess I'm stuck with air dusters.

11. Xman01

Xman01 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Mini
    I may be able to find my 4870 that I used a few years back if you are interested. Let me know and I will look.