CLEANING 'Fluffy' HD 4870

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by IPW, Jun 28, 2011.

1. IPW

IPW Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire HD 3870
    Hey Folks,

After the recent 'death' of my HD 3870, I bought a used HD 4870.

It goes very well but it is almost filled with fluff and dust.

Please can I have some guidance on how to get the top off so I can access the heatsink and fan for cleaning?

I note that there are only 5 black screws on the base of the Card. They seem to be all that is holding the top on. Am I right? If so, can I just unscrew them and get on with it?

Thanks

Ian

2. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    Sorry to not spoon-feed, but it would take you less time to find a guide to disassemble a 4870 using google than it would to post this.

3. IPW

IPW Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire HD 3870
    Thank you for your good intentions....................

BUT, I had already tried the AMD/ATI and Sapphire Sites, and the manual.

Please point me in the right direction if you know it.

Thank you

4. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, I stand corrected. I've actually been searching for a guide for your for the past ten minutes and it does seem to be challenging. I even found the thread you posted on another forum.
    I've found various partial guides/posted by people that installed aftermarket coolers (like this :http://forum.xcpus.com/f45/aftermarket-cooler-ati-4770-pictures-18067.html it's a 4770 though) but haven't found anything clear yet.

I'll post if I come by anything.

5. IPW

IPW Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire HD 3870
    Thank you. I'm still looking also...

Ian

6. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Your other option is just to use compressed air w/o disassembling the card.
    You could also take the card to a gas station where they have an air pump to fill up tires or to a mechanic with an air compressor and nicely ask to use it for a second.

7. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 ULTR/HYBR
    I know this sounds a little crazy, but I use a leaf blower when I do my monthly preventive maintenance on my rig. I set it up in the garage and its done in no time. Cpu cooler, all the fans, etc... Got to use your common sense though. If you have a powerful industrial type blower you don't want it full blast, dial it in. If its a one speed on/off type then stand back aways and gauge it from there. I do take the video cards out and use canned air though.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    hey that´s my post there...lol
    cleaning dust and fluff is a must for a second hand vga card,it might make a difference in card´s lifespan

well i don´t have pictures to show you exact what to do ,but i will try to explain it in details
    unscrew the 5 screws ,gently pull up the fan´s cable .gently move the cooler to sides like rocking it,to totally displace the cooler from the vga board ..
    diassemble the cooler plastic shroud,there are like 8 tiny screws ..
    when you have the copper heatsink ,clean it with a brush,also clean the turbine fan...reassemble the cooler ,clean the contact surface with the chip ,it might have residual thermal paste

vga board must be cleaned well,i use contact cleaner for board and Artic Cleaner for vga chip....
    apply a small amount of thermal paste of your choice,a rice grain amount of it,place the cooler on its position,carefully not to overtighten the screws
    reconect the fan´s cable to the board...put the card in your computer ,enjoy !

9. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    I had a similar problem with a NV Silencer. The manual suggested using a vacuum cleaner but that did nothing.
    Then I just used a hairdryer.
    Make sure to lock the cards fan in place though. If it rotates too fast it can get damaged.

10. IPW

IPW Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire HD 3870
    Thanks to all of you for useful and interesting guidance.

Here is what I did.

My wife's powerfull hairdrier on full cold and very narrow outlet. First 30 second blast. Careful not to allow any actual contact.

Then, without taking anything apart, used cotton tipped earbuds VERY softly to clean in and around what I could see of the fan, fan mounting and heatsink. Hairdrier used frequently. Lots and lots of dust but decreasing each blow.

To say that the buds dislodged enough fluff to stuff a pillow would be more than a fib. But, and I kid you not, there was plenty enough to line a sparrow's nest!

Has it helped? We will find out when I have a local expert install it tomorrow.

Thanks again. :)

Ian

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    this might do as well
    but when i see something dusty i feel an urge to disassemble it an clean it *my style*

12. mstcobra

mstcobra Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    BAD IDEA the reason being that compressed air from a gas station or any other source that uses a normal compressor is filled with moisture. Moisture + Computer chips = BAD
    (Before I moved to Germany I was a mechanic in America, and the air from any compressor has a very high moisture content. In fact the moisture content is so high that at the end of the work day it was common practice for me and many other mechanics in other garages to open a petcock valve at the bottom of the compressor to release the pressure and drain water from the air tank before closing up for the night)

Your best bet and the way mostly everyone does it, is to buy a can of compressed dry air. It can be found for a few bucks in any reputable computer store, including places like bust buy, micro center etc for a few bucks. It has more than enough pressure to clean even the most dusty components, its 100% free of moisture and it has a little tube attached to the cap so you can focus the spray in tight areas.

Here is a pic of what you are looking for:
    [​IMG]

*edit*
    You had mentioned that you wanted to take it apart and do it your way. So I doubt this will be an issue but I'll say it anyway. Always be sure to disconnect the cable that connects the fan to the board before spraying the compressed air. Reason being that when the air blows threw the fan it will naturally spin the fan basically creating a small current going threw the fan's motor back into your card. In other words an electric motor can also act as a generator, granted a very poor one because the magnets and coils are reversed. The end effect is basically the same as giving your card a static shock, which is not good :nerd:

13. faust1200

faust1200 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC
    I own this thing and it freakin rules for cleaning computers and other stuff. No more wasting money on air cans.

[​IMG]

14. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 ULTR/HYBR
    I really like that. Gonna order one now. Thx for sharin'.

15. asingh

asingh Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4890 (X-Fire)
    Basically you would have to:

1. Remove the HSF bracket tiny screws. They have springs within, so carefully remove them and keep them in tray 1.

2. Then remove the odd 10-12 screws from the PCB and place in tray 2.

3. Try to pry the shroud from the PCB. If it does not smoothly come off, you have forgotten a screw. Do not force it.

4. Once the shroud is off, it will automatically "fall apart".

5. Clean the vRAM pads using a light cloth, not roughly or the adherence will come off. And clean the heat sink thoroughly, and the shroud.

6. Clean the GPU surface and HSF contact area using Isopropyl Alcohol. It is called Doctor's Spirit in my country.

7. RE-TIM (very very less). Put it back.

I cleaned my HD4890's some time back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    You sir win the internet

17. faust1200

faust1200 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC
    I promise i will keep the shiny tubes dust-free.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Those images look like a reference HD4870 cooler. Sapphire appears to have used 3-4 different GPU coolers on their HD4870 line.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Faust, i have that thing too. IT is f***ing BEAST. Makes cleaning out PCs that i repair SOOOO much easier and less time consuming. Its like a freaking leaf blower.

20. faust1200

faust1200 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC

Indeed. I like how you can feel the torque when the motor kicks on.