1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clean re-install of Win 7 on HP Laptop???

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Pigchild, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 Ti 2Gb X2 SLI
    For free I acquired a 4 year old HP Laptop with Windows 7 Home. It has the i3 CPU, 8Gb Ram, and a 500Gb hard drive. (Unfortunately not solid state HD.) I have a question... I'm a custom Desktop guy and if I ever need to re-install my Windows 7 64 bit OP system it's easy because I have the OEM disk, key code, and all the key hardware drivers on disk to load after install. Problem: I only have the key code for this HP laptop so how do I perform a 100% clean Win 7 system install? I do not have the important driver disks to load after the install therefore I'm very sure it will not even be able to connect to the internet after OP install so that I can go online and download the needed HP drivers.

I'm also not even sure how to prompt this Laptop to perform a 100% wipe and fresh install. Of course I will use manual install because I don't want all that HP add on crap loaded. Just the OP system and a way to get my vital hardware drivers after install.

2. CoMmAnDrX2

CoMmAnDrX2 Member

GPU:
    MSIGTX680 Lightning
    You can grab the Windows 7 Home Premium x64 installer from Microsoft as for your drivers I use this Snappy Driver Installer. Download the whole 15GB package for SDI so you won't need a Internet connection later.

To reload OS/Drivers/Software it's usually F11 to access the System Recovery on a HP.

Now if you only want to install the OS then grab the ISO from Microsoft HERE, from here you can either create a DVD using whatever burning app of your choosing or a create Flash Boot Device with Rufus

To boot from a device... For HP it's ESC then choose F9, then select Boot Device you wish to boot from. If that does not work try hitting F9 instead of ESC during bootup (Logo Spash Screen)

airbud7 likes this.
  3. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 Ti 2Gb X2 SLI
    Thanks... So stupid they sell Laptops without the OS disk and all hardware driver disks. That's why I like custom desktop. If I want to re-install I've got all OEM & driver disks on hand and can be done with no fuss at all.

4. CoMmAnDrX2

CoMmAnDrX2 Member

GPU:
    MSIGTX680 Lightning
    Correct no disks are given, only a recovery partition which is useless if your HDD takes a crap and you never created the recovery disks.