Civilization V

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JC[UK], Feb 18, 2010.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Played every version of Civ in one form or another and have loved them all. Civ 5, well hmmm. My thoughts so far are;

Not being able to stack units is a refreshing change of pace for both the combat offensive as well as the city defensive aspect. It will be interesting to see how having to fortify units around the city and using the city as a long range attacker will change the overall combat. From my point of view it has changed the early game considerably. I was fortunate enough to get an early unit promotion giving me a Pikeman this then allowed me to use this one unit to capture the Indian capital near the start of the game. Oh and loving the clear cut yes you will win or no you wont win battle stats, a great change over the previous games my stats say I should win but random chance lost me the battle.

The game pacing itself is very different, in previous Civ games early game turns flew by very quickly and your Civ would usually expand quite rapidly at the start, via settler and worker improvements until you hit a point where you were powerful enough to expand using military might. This games pacing seems very very slow. In previous Civ games, especially 3 and 4 I found I would quite often expand too quickly and hit a point where the cost of corruption would kill my monetary income. I would then stall until I discovered currency. This doesn't look like it will be an issue in this game.

The diplomacy screen seems to have a lot more potential but for some reason decides not to explain what halve the various diplomatic pacts and options can do for you. I have signed up to a tech agreement and covert agreement to work against another civ, both of these options are new but neither of them actually explain what you get by signing up to them. Before anyone asks I signed up because they at least look like positive agreements.

The game does have some annoyances.

- The new city states are a potentially good idea but having to keep feeding them gold to keep them in favour will get real old real quick, to the point where they will just become another enemy to quickly kill.
    - The barbarians are better managed than previous Civ games but clearing one encampment only to find another pop up a few turns later... great for making money but tedious.
    - Why can I only buy complete units, why can I not use gold to complete construction of unit that I have already started?
    - City micromanagment seems to have been simplified. Previous civ games allowed to to select exactly what areas around the city workers would work on, this seems to have been dumped in favour of the quick button focus option.
    - Buying additional areas around the city using gold... another tedious task.
    - Why can I not change my graphics settings in game any more, why do I need to exit the game, change the graphics and then reboot the game?

Finally the biggest issue so far is the sudden slow down the game seems to have hit at around 700BC. Everything was running fine and then bam, stutter, unresponsive. Is this a memory leak.

This is a difficult one, they have taken a lot of the things from the old Civ game that were quite annoying, i.e the often random combat encounters, the mass unit stacking and the potential for your empire to become to unmanageable too quickly and resolved them, but in doing so they have added quite a few new things that are annoying. The thing is they are just that annoying, not game breakers, if they get the technical stuff patched i.e the sudden slow down and the fact that the ai turns take longer than either civ 3 or 4 to run through, then yeah it's got the potential to be a great game.

2. SaNTaCRuZ77

SaNTaCRuZ77 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3450 512MB
    Why don't you guys just download the game instantly off Steam? ROFL

You guys should follow up in a week and tell me how fun it really is building the same armies and pillaging cities and barbarians. There just isn't enough substance here for me.

3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Just started playing it today and so far I like it. Ive played civ4,2 and the olddd school one way back when it was still 2d.
    So far I find it to be similar to civ4 which is not a bad thing.
    The interface is changed a bit so it takes a bit to refamiliarize yourself.. once you get it all set though its every bit as addicting as any other civ.
    It does bog down the larger your civ gets, but it remains fairly smooth.. if it does get a bit choppy at times there are plenty of video options to change..

4. Incognito5000

Incognito5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    That thought had crossed my mind at some points, but so far not an issue (only put 25 hours in so far which in the grand scheme of things isn't that much). Will return in one week! :p

5. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    You can still do that in Civ 5.

http://apolyton.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=166957

On that photo, you see the little green head icon? You can unselect them and then lock it on another tile. (The screen was showing how to buy a tile, so ignore the gold icon) Can't be bother to upload my own screenshot.

6. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    You just described the Civilization series.

Maybe this one's not for you :)

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I like how it made economics just as important as a good military again, since they are in real life mutually inclusive.

8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    On another note, this has to be the most non-optimized game engine I have come across lately.

In DX10/11 mode, 1024X768, everything on lowest or off, the game uses 460MB of graphics memory, 998mb of RAM, and about 20% of my CPU. That's a whole lot for a strategy game of this kind.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    sorry mate, but you're running a P4 rig with 9400gt and 1gb ram?

10. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I'm a bit disappointed, Civ V seems a bit dumbed down. It feels much more like Civilization Revolution than a Civ PC successor.

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    3GB!!! Please don't dumb me down anymore :pc1:

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Your rig is "old-tech".

Won't run any modern games.

You should buy new rig asap if you are planning playing any modern games.

13. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    While there are some things streamlined, I wouldnt say this is dumbed down. Everything is there that was there before far as game play (if you can find it), only thing missing in my opinion are some data screens that would give you more detailed information.

14. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Is there anyway to turn off the auto unit selection? Damn annoying to be concentrating in one area of the globe to suddenly be whisked off to a completely different map location because it insists on selecting the next unit to be moved.

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    They said they fixed that, but they only fixed that in relation to asking what needs to be built, you are still annoying forced to deal with whatever unit it brings up first.

16. SaNTaCRuZ77

SaNTaCRuZ77 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3450 512MB
    Yeah having the camera refocus 10 times per turn is annoying as hell. I can't believe that's not an option to turn off. I wish the mini map would display the highlighted unit. I also wish units actually moved through several turns as you originally instructed them. :bang:

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    moving through multiple turns seems to work as long as you long right click and its over two turns

also, in addition to skipping the intro video, you can skip the legal crap at the start by moving/deleting legalscreen.lua and xml in C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\UI\FrontEnd to somewhere else

18. Incognito5000

Incognito5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    Gah!!! I know eh!?!? It's been driving me nuts having it shift all over the place.

I mean sometimes I'm trying to tactically move a group of units into position for a battle but no the game has to shift to a worker in the middle of no where first...and then another worker...and then another...and then back to where my epic battle was supposed to take place.

I hope a patch comes out soon to give the option to disable this.

19. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    They also need to allow you to end a turn without having to give an order to every unit!

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just right click to bypass the notifications and get to the next turn button.

But yeah, they should have had a separate small button to the right of the end turn button which would change colors depending on if you had any moves left, and if you did it and clicked the button it would automatically toggle between the units.