Civilization V

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JC[UK], Feb 18, 2010.

1. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    using your freedom and widecap enable me to decrypt the file now. Have a few crashed tho.

If this work, i'm not connecting to steam server until friday!

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    pretty sure they just don't work, since our product key is already tied to out country, but if you make it work (not that they've released the exes) let me know

guess ill play the demo

3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    downloading the demo as fast as it will gooooo

4. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    doesn't work not because of key but steam crashes every time with widecap. can't get pass the EULA screen to accept it...

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    try using proxifier or proxycap

http://www.your-freedom.net/index.php?id=145

i tried widecap but found it was crap

also, I think with your freedom you don't even need to use one of these programs, not sure though

also, try using hotspot shield instead of your freedom, i could get steam working with that, but it still said 2 days 10 hours

6. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Hotspot shield doesn't work with steam i think.

http://www.your-freedom.net/index.php?id=111
    Your freedom suggest to use widecap / proxycap with steam. But widecap crashed everytime.

Using proxycap now. It say completing installation. (not sure what to complete tho as i already pre-load it and i finished the decrypt thinggie).

75%

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  7. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    It works!

Your freedom + Proxycap works fine. I'm in the da game now!

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    you're right, it's working, decrypting very slowly now

9. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    Good to hear guys! Now you can join in on the excellence!

10. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Damn it, I ordered a box copy. So I could be playing now? I think I might cancel the order and get it from Steam.

?Box <......> Play Now?

11. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    just played 91 turns!!!! Game is great! Need to get used to the UI.

12. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    I just cancelled the Amazon order and bought it on Steam. Downloading now.

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    took it a while, but I just got it working, went into offline mode and i'm gonna piss around with settings

pretty sweet, doesnt run terribly on full, might just take off tessellation and lower a shadow notch and that'll be me

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  14. Incognito5000

Incognito5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    Got up to 200 turns earlier today but had the AI's gang up on me and it was over :(.

Fantastic game though!

15. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Build more military units :p

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Try changing your region on Steam to somewhere in North America,then restart steam and try.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Proxy does work as some users describe but it's a risk so I'm undecided.

Normally the deal is that it's a offense if it's used to bypass the region pricing to purchase cheap but it's one of the few things that can lead to a disabled account if detected, unsure how this is classified though but it's something to keep in mind at least though again I don't know how this classifies.
    (And there is no other way to get it to decrypt and thus waiting until Friday or whenever it was aside from sharing the decrypted NCF files directly that Steam uses and replacing the preload/encrypted ones so the game redownloads all data but decrypted this time.)

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    even if you decrypt the game files, you still have to be in the american region to play it, steam checks the release date itself when starting up

decrypt, go online, get the game to play once, quit, go offline

I got it working a while ago

19. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Alright, I've logged 23 hours according to steam. First day I hurt my back at work and came home. Stayed up late and unfortunately (even though I wanted to play) I got sick and stayed home the next. I slept in today being sicker and all sleeping from about 930 or 10pm until just about 1145am. I also watched a few shows off the fall season, but other than that I've been pretty much glued to my game.

My thoughts thus far, I played maybe 100 turns with Babaylon and now 600+ with Greek on Earth, Large, Marathon, difficulty 4, raging barbarians (1680x1050 4XAA 2nd GPU disabled [glitches textures prolly due to no driver] everything on high DX10/11)

Bugs:

1) cannot receive more than 5 gold per turn from AI during trade (you can say 6-100 and it will only give you 5).

2) cannot skip through beginning cut scene, will always play at least partway through until menu opens (could be that it is loading in the background)

3) DX9 version crashes (I've only used 10/11 but friends tried 9 and it crashed alot)

4) MEMORY LEAK, not sure where or when it occurs but I think it does it around when you load the game. If you load it more than 5 times the game and the whole system begins slow down, even exiting game engine and starting again doesn't solve the issue. Only cure I've found is to restart system. You can play hours on end if you only save and it won't slow down, but soon as you load it several times in a row for example when something isn't going your way, or you are testing something out, this occurs.

5) UNGODLY LOAD TIMES, don't know if it is all linked to the memory leak but when the game first starts you only have a few minutes at most to wait, but I'm 600 turns into a marathon game, and loads now take 5 to 10 mins. Could be 4GB of ram is not enough, could be an issue with memory leak, don't know but might as well go grab a drink, take a dump, or find something else to do while you load. Problem compounds if you load multiple times.

6) Late game turn times take exceptionally long (could just be natural)

User Interface/Graphics/etc

1) GFX is beautiful, consider I have 10.6 hotfix or something old and no CFX profile it is under stable it would only run on 1 of my GPU, but everything on high and the game looks fantastic and runs great

2) UI is cleaned up and for the most part easy to read

3) the new Civilopedia string search is fantastic, however a few entries are sort of ambiguous, there is an social policy for Honor "Great General something something outside Capital", I was unable to figure out what it meant without actually clicking on it, it actually spawns a great general for you to use outside your capital.

4) UI while cleaned up, many more advanced information doesn't exist, especially tool tips when you hold your mouse over something, before you could see the Unit information (even your own) the strength, health, traits, etc and with exception to a few minor things you can see as long as they haven't used up their movement it lacks all that information. It is like this with many parts of the UI, the gameplay is streamlined and less clunky, but it misses some underlying critical information to the mechanics of things.

Gameplay, combat, tactics, etc

1) LOVE the new hex tile system, much easier to move, calculate spaces, tactics, everything

2) combat is easier to figure out (even without the missing tool tips), each unit has 10 HP, based on the strength of each unit, can do anywhere from 0 to 10 HP to each other. If unit has 8 HP, it fights at reduced strength (except Japan special ability), before each battle it will give you an approximation outcome of the battle with also the strength of each, HP, and approximate damage done to each. Variation only occurs by 0 to 2 HP of damage, rarely 2, usually 0, sometimes 1 (would say bell curve).

3) NO MORE tanks getting killed by spearmen, at least I assume. Even 600+ turns in and I'm only in the medieval era on Marathon, but ruins upgraded knight (now Calvary with guns) has not ever lost.

4) I'm getting tired of typing this out and not playing, but generally its a great game, I'll fill out more info later.

TIP, no more transports over water, once you get skill from technology (2nd water one at top of tree) you units can embark from land into sea, make sure no enemies are around including barbarian triems, your unit will die instantly. In order to get the embark skill on your unit, they must go back into friendly territory (I couldnt figure out why some didnt have it and others did at first), could not see this explained anywhere (could be in the manual but havent downloaded it yet and it should be in the civilopedia).

20. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    ...my huge empire has 400 gold maintenance costs for buildings plus 200 gold for units. I'm barely breaking even :|