Civilization V

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JC[UK], Feb 18, 2010.

1. wisitor

wisitor Master Guru

GPU:
    9800GT 713/1728/1000
    "Oh, and one last note--although Civ IV's religion system (which was met with mixed reactions) won't be making a comeback, we're assured by Firaxis that the feature wasn't simply cut without any plans for other new features to replace it"

that was one of my favorite parts of the game, being the first 1 to discover Buddhism and then make monks and spread it around to everyone, even to my enemys citys and building all kind of religious monuments.... so much funn
    all of the sudden im not looking forward to the game anymore,i cant see how any new feature can replace that... :(

2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    your post makes no sense, if graphics weren't important even in Civilization then why make CIV 4 or 5? might as well play CIV 1 with pixellated graphics.

with the advent of stuff like "Tessellation" which opens up possibilities, i believe more detailed seas and terrain would improve this game further (if implemented properly).

but i don't want any of the graphics enhancement if they're going to ruin the gameplay, gameplay in CIV comes first.

damn now that's annoying :bang:

3. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    No, it makes perfect sense.

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    btw i'm with you when you say "who cares about the graphics"..

but my question is, do you want or more precisely would you like improved graphics in Civ? ;)

5. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    As I replied to KingDazza, better graphics are a nice bonus. But the amount of gameplay changes in Civ 5 are so big that it leaves the gfx changes in the shadow. In my opinion that is.

6. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    ok thanks for clarifying :)

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I have not really enjoyed any of the games that you have made apart from Flood and Populous 1,Dungeon keeper was ok as well.

8. Smellbow

Smellbow Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    ok... i have NEVER played a CIV game... how the learning curve? any tutorials? just curious before i consider giving it a go.

9. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I must say, I'm getting really excited about this game. I can't wait! :)

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    it's very easy you won't even need a tutorial actually but there are hints or tips every now and then but the combat and management might require some planning but it's not as hard as something like Age Of Empire.

and you can win in 5 ways, Conquest, be the first to reach Alpha Centauri (by building technology and winning the space race), Domination, Diplomatic or Cultural.

for instance Jesus and Elvis (and many other important characters) might be born in one of your cities, those are considered superhumans who add extra bonus to your culture, religion or technology.

11. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090 G9 240Hz
    Yep, it's quite easy to pick up :)

12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    gameplay video arrived, looks good! while i'm not happy about the loss of religion in the game, i think the gameplay will offer a great experience regardless.

video
    http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6265591/?hd=1

13. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Looks great. The bigger formations (ie more men per unit) look so much better than three guys.

14. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    The game is looking good. As far as Firaxis removing religion from the game, I guess we'll see if the reason they gives us for removing it holds water once the game is released or if it's seemingly the sign of the times. Then again I may be looking too much into into the decision. Either way I will buy Civ 5 & most likely enjoy it. Thanks for posting the vid.

15. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i really love Sid Meier he's my favorite developer ever, awesome person (i met him back in 2006 and exchanged a couple of words too) and i always liked his games they just ooze with class, how can anyone forget Pirates!, f-15 strike eagle, f19, Gunship etc.

i can't wait for CIV5! :banana:

16. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Someone's in looooooove :kind:

:p

17. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    [​IMG]

you're welcome, i'm sure we're going to enjoy the game.. also i'm sure i'mma gonna lose a few pounds, the one more turn is going to keep me awake for days. :eyebrows:

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Game is out in two weeks!

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    All those games you mentioned apart from Pirates were more or less "Wild Bill Stealeys" creations,not Sid meiers(just pointing out mate)they just worked and founded the same company,the Legendary Microprose,i dont think Sid has contributed a great deal to games as a whole except for the Civilization and Colonization series,i think he is a very overated games designer although those games you did mention were the best games in there field in there day except for F15 strike eagle which was an arcade fest flight sim,Pirates has to be one of my all time favourite games which i bought on every computer and console i ever owned,not to mention all the history that i learned from the Microprose games manual(remember those)i was able to put my knowledge of The real Pirates of the Carribean to the test in August 2010 when i went to the Carribean on my honeymoon,alot of things i read in the Microprose Pirate manual were true regarding the treasure fleet and silver train among other things, according to the locals,good old Microprose manuals were educational to say the least(sorry to waffle on):)

20. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    You can preload Civ 5 now!