Civilization V

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JC[UK], Feb 18, 2010.

1. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    That was my thought as well, especially since the upper layers [city names and mini map] are not affected. Smells of VRAM.

2. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I've also encountered that corruption, only in Civilization V...The same card has played games like Crysis 2 and BF3 beta and other demanding games without being affected however

3. Ji1986

Ji1986 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670 OC SLI
    Just make sure it is only in Civ5, if so then you probably dont have any issues with the GPU.

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690

5. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    Been meaning to resurrect this thread. Glad someone beat me to it. I've been playing this a lot lately. Here's my mod list:

[​IMG]

Only non-self explanatory one above is LRDT, which is Extra Diplomacy Text.

I play YnAEMP almost exclusively, the giant variant. 22 civilizations. I set 45 city-states, but of course not all of them live past the first turn (nearby start points for some - I set the distance to "minimum" and have "Only TSL" selected).

Also about to incorporate VEM and CiVUP (previously didn't want VEM, now I'm interested - I've tried CivUP before and I ended up removing it because the time between turns got absurdly long), along with Foreign Trade Routes. I'll do it once I'm done with my current America game.

Also, here's a post on Reddit where I listed the links to all of my mods:

http://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/sn3rt/what_v_mods_do_you_use/c4i62ev

Also, as my games are usually massive and system-intensive...anyone know how to let the game use up more RAM? I don't think it ever exceeds 1.8GB, and it could certainly benefit from proper use of the large RAM capacity I have.

- PR-0927

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  6. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    It wouldn't benefit from more ram. It's very CPU intensive and having more ram doesn't help there.

7. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

Ah, damn, I see.

- PR-0927

8. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    Lol, you're welcome.
    Have you tried it? Otherwise, time to go shopping. ;)

9. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    After convincing myself it wasn't important enough to spend hours trying to fix, I just got done with a million and one combos of under/overclocks, video settings, game type/ size/ number of civs, city states, etc... (hours and hours worth, lmao)

I have no answer. It happens randomly, no way to recreate the issue regularly. The only thing that I can find that "seems" to influence it is the number of actual units on the screen at any given time - the more there are visible, the higher the chance.

Having said that, I give up and chalk it up to a game glitch. Batman, Skyrim,
    L4D2, and Resident Evil 5 haven't given me issues... so I feel pretty confident it's just one of those goofy glitches that started day one with this game.

Thanks for the ideas, but I have to go spank a few naughty world leaders now.

10. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Do you have any spare GPU lying around? Or maybe borrow one from a friend to test if you get any corruption then.

11. MfA

MfA Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    sure cpu is important but that doesnt mean more ram doesnt help.. both vram and system memory are critical if you tend to play huge maps with many nations and city states.. my system crables if i try large maps with 30 city states and 10 nations let alone huge maps and more nations..

[​IMG]

12. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Really? I haven't crashed with max amount of players at all :\
    Sure I have 16 GB ram but the executable can only use 4 GB or so.

13. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    Nah, I sold my gtx 260 to upgrade to the 460. I had to steal childrens' bikes in front of their grammas to afford the difference, which coincedentally, leaves one with few friends.

14. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    I'm assuming the game isn't compiled as Large Address Aware, so that puts a hard cap of just under 2GB of Address Space usage. Even if the application was compiled as LAA, there is a hard limit of 4GB for Win32 processes running under win64.

Personally, I don't even play with city states anymore, as they are functionally broken. As I envision them, they should play exactly like normal civs, but without the inherent civ bonuses or UU's, and without win conditions, putting them at a major disadvantage. THAT would make them interesting. As they are implemented, they are just giant money pits.

15. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    I ended up selling a kidney and buying a new card (sad ain't it?). It wasn't a huge upgrade technically, but the bug and my curiousity got the best of me.

I was able to recreate the corruption with new card. Was really hoping that it was the limited amount of ram on the gtx 460 (768mb) that was causing the corruptions and slowdowns - but nope.

The only real performance boosts I've seen since this games major patches came out were reinstalling the game on an SSD (nice boost) and overclocking my cpu from 2.8Ghz to 3.8 Ghz. The cpu oc had a pretty dramatic effect in responsiveness, load times, and computer turn times.

16. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    Steam workshop is now available for Civ 5.

17. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    :banana:

And off I go...

I hate the in-game mod browser.

18. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I bought the game today. Are there any tutorials or guides for it?

19. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    In your steam client (online mode), select the library tab, civ 5, and then look on the right hand side under "links" -- there's a .pdf manual.

[​IMG]

20. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    There are also in game tutorials. Can't remember if you access them from the main menu or from the single player sub-menu.