1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chromium powered Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Carfax, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Has anyone tried it yet? I'm using it right now, and so far, I really like it. It's like a combination of the best of Google Chrome and the old Microsoft Edge. For instance, Chrome's scrolling speed and smoothness has always been a sore point for me, and that's one of the reasons why I used Microsoft Edge in the past because of how smooth and fluid it was.

However, it appears that Microsoft has fully transferred that capability over to the new Microsft Edge, because the scroll speed on this new browser is incredibly smooth and fluid. As for rendering speed, it seems to be equivalent to the latest version of Chrome (if not a bit quicker), and that's saying a lot. Also, it should automatically import your favorites, passwords and bookmarks from Chrome, and log into your Microsoft account if you have one.

I was really a bit hesitant about Microsoft abandoning EdgeHTML in favor of Chromium, but now after actually using the new browser, I think they made the right decision.

If anyone wants to try the new browser, you can download version 75.0.111.0 from Softpedia HERE.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Benched it with basemark, it came out faster than Chrome / Firefox.

Susahamat likes this.
  3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Yeah it wouldn't surprise me. It is awfully snappy! I can't wait to see the final product. It really needs a dark mode, and the cache cleaning doesn't work. Other than that, it's very fast and very stable.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    MS chaps are also working to improve Chromium scrolling performance which is a nice thing to see. It could very well end up being better than Chrome.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Do extensions still require GFWL 2.0?

If so i stick with Chrome.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    No.

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I been using this 24/7 now. my chrome browser decided to hang on downloads. so been using this instead of fixing chrome...

8. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I've tried the dev version and I must say that I'm pleased with how snappy it is. I would like to get rid of the newsfeed, or get a custom screen like Speed Dial for Chrom/Firefox, though. Time will tell, if this manages to improve more (and get more extensions).

cryohellinc likes this.
  9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I'm using the Canary build and it's lightning fast; faster than Chrome! Combines the best of both Chrome and the old Edge browser.

Microsoft is really onto something here, I highly recommend trying it out.

cryohellinc likes this.
  10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Just install a blank new tab extension.

Also to enable Dark Theme, a quote from another thread:

emperorsfist likes this.

11. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Thanks, I've done some digging yesterday after work, and I was pleased to see that I can use some extensions from Chrome on Edge as well (in my case it's Speed Dial, Iridium for Youtube, Ghostery and Tampermonkey). AdBlock was already available for Edge, so it doesn't count. I'll continue using it for now, and see how it does in the future.

cryohellinc likes this.
  12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Additional flags I would recommend enabling:
    Smooth Scrolling
    Enable lazy image loading
    Enable lazy frame loading

That was the main selling point for me, however, I was sincerely pleasantly surprised by how much faster it is in comparison to Chrome. Besides, it consumes less RAM and overall has better memory management. I'm working with a lot of web development tools, and I see significant improvement across the board. Fewer crashes / less hangs in comparison to Chrome.

Carfax and emperorsfist like this.
  13. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Will do! I did try smooth scrolling, but felt that the difference was only slight. I haven't tried the other two, though.

I like the lower RAM consumption as well, Chrome did become more and more of a hog as time went on. The speed and responsiveness is really nice for a beta as well. With imported settings for Speed Dial, I have started off where I've left, and all it took me was under 15 minutes! It's nice to see M$ being onto something good for once.

cryohellinc likes this.
  14. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Indeed, I do hope they keep performance and optimization as their priorities. Additionally, if they provide a high degree of customization any potential feature creep won't impact the end user in case you don't need some of them.

emperorsfist likes this.
  15. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Yeah, agree. Here's to a potential good&reliable product form Microsoft.

cryohellinc likes this.

16. gpiddock

gpiddock New Member

GPU:
    1080i
    it is pretty fast (than FF and Chrome) and consumes less CPU. good move, M$

cryohellinc likes this.