Christmas tech bad luck (does it come in 3's?).

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Major Melchett, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Had a great Christmas so far tech wise (2 big breaks out of 3 - so lord help me).
    ---
    Lost my job a month or so back and since then all has been decent (got a few good deals or Christmas so I could save some cash, got BT to cut my contract package down to a nice amount I could afford), all seemed well for an OK but cut back Christmas - but now it seems the evil Gremlins are coming at me.

Last week my laptop got broken after it got knocked of a shelf (screen smashed) - dam CAT!!!, and yesterday my GTX 480 finally bit the dust (no idea what's up with it as on any PC is just won't work any more - lasted 4 years mind) and I'm now relegated to a GT 210 (I had to trade my game pad/wireless adapter for it at CEX) just so I can surf the net/watch Netflix.

So what's next for me?, can I expect the actual PC to just blow up any time soon? :)D).
    -----
    So anyone else had any bad tech luck over the Christmas period via those pesky Gremlins?.

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Truth be told.. I fucn hated 2013, worked my arse off and saved saved and saved, only to be broke and out of work two weeks before xmas.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What a bummer! Christmas was fine but one of my 460's artifacted in May. It got repaired in warranty but I got a 780 to replace my old SLI setup :D

4. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Try cleaning the GTX 480's cooler and reapplying thermal paste. I've just revived my HD6950 this way a couple of months ago. Turns out it wasn't starting up due to thermal failure.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Its.. like you know me..

6. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Strip the 480 down, give it a good cleaning then bake it.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Damn that sounds hot.

8. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    even better when a 580 does it.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    *qivers*
    giggady..

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    My sound just randomly stopped working. Does that count? :p

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ear_drum.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

12. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    It was the 1st thing I tried with it, I stripped it down (it had a Shaman cooler on it along with a big VRM heat sink) and cleaned it and put on some new noctua paste, put it all back together and the same results, with the card installed the system would go into an endless reboot loop (start to boot up, hit windows and then restart over and over) - I even did a full reinstall of the OS at 1st just in case it was corrupt somehow.

The card was tried in 3 systems in the end (mine, my daughter new Christmas PC her mum got her and a friends) and as soon as it was put in any of them the same reboot issue happened.

I've had it nearly 4 years and it was running at a hefty OC (due to the monster cooler I put on it), and as such I just think it was its time to go.
    ---
    Time to start saving I recon as the cheapest I can see that would get similar performance is around £130 (a GTX 660 - I prefer NVidia cards), with being unemployed right now, it'll be a while :bang:.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  13. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Wow, I thought this to be a joke post (baking a GPU = LOL), but after spotting the same suggestion on another board I read up on it.

It only went and bloomin worked!, I stripped it down and cooked it for 10 minutes at 200c, then let it cool. When I put it back together it with some new paste etc, it booted up and installed the drivers perfectly - and its just now completed a 45minute heaven benchmark run.

So kudos to you my good guru, you just saved me £55 (as I was quite literally in the process of buying a cheap GTX 570.

14. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Yeah, I got a 9800GT here thats about to be baked for its 4th time.

The time between needing to bake it is getting shorter and shorter. :(

15. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    I'm not sure how long it'll last, but if it lasts a few months I'll be happy.

I'm not really in the position to just use £50/60 on a new (well 2nd hand) GPU right now, and the fact this one now works is just WOWZORS!.