Chris Taylor (Supreme Commander) talks about PC piracy and bringing RTS to consoles

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Merton, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    "
    IGN: There are a lot of RTS games being brought over to the console this year. Do you ever see the RTS being as big on the console as it is now on the PC?

Chris Taylor: Well one of the key things that is really affecting the economics and the success of gaming in general is piracy on the PC. So one of the reasons we'll see RTSs on the console is because people can't pirate it. That's why we're going to see a lot more of everything on the console. When you look at the sales of really hardcore games like Crysis and you think, "Wow, those games should have sold a lot more," you realize that's probably due in large part to piracy. And you realize that a game like Crysis would have done its true numbers if it had launched on console first.

It's just a good business decision to have your game of any kind on a console where you can't pirate it. When you start to refine the control system and you start to take away the barrier of the control system and you start to make that a non-issue, just like we did with first-person shooters, and it becomes more about the game experience and less about the interface, you start to go to the platform where the economics of where the gaming base is.

IGN: Recently there have been many attempts to bring the RTS genre over to the console. Do you think what people learn from that will affect how the PC RTS is made in the future?

Chris Taylor: Well, yeah, because if there's success on the console, people are going to stop making them on the PC because of my earlier point, what's happened on the PC with piracy. The economics are ugly right now on the PC. You're not going to see these gigantic, epic investments of dollars on the PC when it just doesn't work. The economics have to work. You're going to see those investments made on the console side and it's going to become a more console-centric investment. And then you're going to see them ported back over to the PC and that creates a different experience on the PC.

That's just wild, that's just some talking. That's not really any deep thinking on my part. That's kind of like wild speculation, but if I were to guess I don't see RTS games going away at all. People love them too much. They're too much fun. They're like first-person shooters. First-person shooters are obviously doing extraordinarily well on the console and they're not doing very well on the PC. I'm offering now a parallel to that for RTS games.

Right now, if you're a big shooter developer, you're going to lead on a console and you're going to do a PC SKU after. You're not going to be your projections and thinking about your market as your PC. You're going to be thinking about your market on the console. So you're going to focus all of your creativity around your control scheme of your console, your audience of your console, the age group that you're going after on your console and what features they want. You're going to cater to that audienceā€¦It's going to be market driven.

Right now it's up in the air, but right now the PC market is kind of voting with its dollars, if you will.
    "

2. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    where did he get his info that a console can't be pirated?

XBOX has it's pirated copies here.
    PS3 would soon follow once availability and popularity of the console heightens up some more.

3. Armoured

Armoured Ancient Guru

edit

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. pmanipole

pmanipole Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    i guess that means my pirated xbox games dont exist so i have broken no laws

5. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Crysis would have sold more copies if it didn't suck. I regret being one of the few who bought it.

6. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    The funny part is how he says FPS are doing well on the console and not on the PC. 2 reasons... Untill now you could not play good FPS like COD4 on a console, so people are now just enjoying the FPS genre and can't get enough just as it was in the past on the PC. Most of the PC crowd has been there and done that so most end up playing WOW or pirating the new FPS. What will happen when a game like WOW makes it to consoles? I bet you would see it on Dateline about how half the world is consumed by it, lol.

The other is piracy. I bet there are over 5 million copys of Crysis being played right now, but only 1/5th were actually purchased:3eyes: So to say Crysis did not do well is wronge, it did very well, it's just most of the world didn't pay for it. I bet if you took COD4 on PC and included the pirate copys it out sold the 360.

What needs to be done is Microsoft has to make a operating system built into Vista and XP (by means of a update) that 'takes over' the primary operating system and runs it only to allow signed code when playing a game. When you are done playing the 'gaming operating system' shuts down and is reverted back to the standard XP or Vista. Then it would be much like a console for piracy protection.

7. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    the other reason Crysis didn't do as well, is most people(the majority) cannot play Crysis the way it looks in pictures & magazines. LOTS of people I know want to play Crysis, but their pc,s cannot run it.

8. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    TRUTH = 90+% of people who have a PC capable of playing Crysis (and other modern PC games) know how to pirate. And often you can pirate the game weeks before it comes out. On the 360 or other console, that number is closer (statistically) to 5%. It doesn't make financial sense to release a game on the PC any more.

9. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    Sup com had a lot of hype from the group of gamers I talk to. Then they came out with an open beta/public test/demo, something along those lines. I think out of 10+ guys only 1 liked it. They lost money on a bad game not because of piracy. Face it, computer gamers are more picky than console gamers because the average age of PC gamers are in their 20s. Console gamers have a huge fanbase that is at the age where mommy and daddy pays for everything and they want every game ever released. They are looking for quantity not quality, and don't mind paying $50 to play a game for a few hours. I only buy games that I know will last me months or even years.

10. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    The thing with pirating console games is a lot of the time it requires PHYSICALLY modifying the hardware (mod chip).

When it comes to PC pirating, ANYONE can download a torrent, install a game, go into the cd rom directory and copy crack.exe into the game folder.

However, not everyone is willing to buy a mod chip and sodder their xbox.

The thing is, if microsoft comes out with an xbox live patch that can disable/detect your new piece of hardware, you are ****ed.

Didn't something like that happen on xbox live? I thought I remember a ton of people getting banned for modding their xbox with a mod chip, and there is no way they can get back on xbox live unless they buy a new console.

(I could have totally made that up, but i swore I read it somewhere.

It could be one of those things though, where I have a dream, and wake up and think it is real. I honestly was telling someone the other day about something, and then I realized that what I was talking about never really happened. It was embarassing.)

The solution for modders is don't get xbox live. But honestly, a lot of people want to play multiplayer. Knowing you can get banned from xbox live permanetly for modding is a serious consequence. You don't get banned from just one game, you get banned from the ENTIRE service.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008

11. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    The problem isn't the piracy, it's the development costs. Witcher recently sold 600,000 copies, and both the publisher and the developer were thrilled about it (and I am farily sure that Witcher was widely pirated). That's because the game was made by small team for minimum cost, so their return profit is huge. Crysis on the other hand, sold over 1Mil. copies, and EA and Crytek are still not happy about it. It's their own fault for pumping money in Crysis like it was going to be cure for cancer. They helped Crytek to make the ultimate "shinny graphix" game and are paying for their mistake. Publishers need to balance out the costs more, and especially spend less on graphics, which is where most of the money is going. Not only would that increase profit by making piracy a much smaller issue, but it would also give us better games.

12. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    I was going to post this but I didn't want to be accused of posting another 'PC Piracy' thread!

Back on topic!
    I think Chris Taylor and all these other companies are just too greedy! They just want more and more money...

...and if that means dumbing down thir games for console users then so be it!

13. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    why is it always dumbing down if a game gets released for the console ? because you dont control a console with a keyboard or something ? :rolleyes:

and companies are greedy you say ? you think its completely cost free to develop these games and run the studios ? with the development costs growing bigger and bigger each year, it makes perfect sense to release console versions of games since as the man says, theres just more money to be made there and that money keeps the studios running and people employed.

I personally wouldnt blame the lack of success of some pc games solely on piratism though, while its true that it bites a huge chunk of the income, im sure more people would buy the games if they were thoroughly polished and properly supported and well optimized to run nicely on various different hardware configurations. im not saying the latest games should run smooth and playable on ancient rigs like mine but they shouldnt really require the absolute latest hardware either.

14. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)
    Stopped reading after this, completely discredits anything he has to say about piracy.

15. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That paragraph made my laugh out laud. I showed it to my co-workers and they almost fell to the floor laughing.

p.s.

We are software developers.

16. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tsk Tsk, you cant play pirated MP games on PC either.

17. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Witcher was also about 10x more fun then Crysis.

18. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    @Merton

i'd care less if i get banned from going to online MP games. i still have my SP or play with my friends. and also, if i want to play online MP games, i think my PC does that better.

19. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    What a load of bull, this guy thinks he's a (demi)god or something. He clearly has no understanding of the subject and doesn't even think for himself. He just says what others feed him without asking questions.

20. Quicks

Quicks Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    and then people wonder why pc gaming is going backwards and most games get design for consoles, its because of people like him and that guy from call of duty that goes on how bad piracy is on computers and stuff and everybody just follows.

I think if everybody just drops the subject of how crappy pc games are and how bad piracy is on pc, we might see better games and stuff designed for computers.