Chris Robert's "Star Citizen" to use Vulkan exclusively - for best interoperability!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by vase, Mar 19, 2017.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    People have been able to play different modules for a few years now.... I think the newest one is a first person shooter game called Star Marine.

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'm super happy about this news.

I'm only in it for Squadron 42, couldn't give a monkey's about the Online bit personally.

If its cross platform, then its available to a much larger userbase, and it shows that gaming on other than Windows is possible.

Demonstrate a good engine, and other Devs may follow.

Frankly, the Way Win10 is going, I'm only too happy to move over to Linux/Unix for gaming.

3. Mtom

Mtom Member

GPU:
    290X lightning
    I wish people use your brains sometime before commenting.
    They said they will support low level API in the past yes, when they first said it was Mantle, but the API tech moved on, first came DX12 which seemed like a good idea, but Vulkan is better.
    The game is on DX11 as of now, so they will only port it to Vulkan.

They haven't ported it to Mantle, then DX12 then Vulkan. Nothing happened so far, they only said what they will do, and some of you crying like if they said they need to scrap all work and start again.
    No all that happened they said: We wanted to port to DX12 in the future, but instead we will port to Vulkan in the future.

Also you guys do realize that usually games low level API patches doesn't take too much time right? If they want to switch over in a basic way they can put 2-3 programmers to do it, and when its done 1-2 months later, they can just change to that, and from then on optimize for Vulkan.

Also on the "it will never come out" "just a tech demo" boring part

They are in the 5th year of development, making a big single player game, and an MMO, and they needed to build up the studios, teams, infrastructure from nothing.
    Bioware with the established studio/team and ready funding managed to finish ME:A in 5 years which is just a single player game.

I don't get people who cry "it's been development for ages" "and they should do it this and that way"

If they manage to finish a complex MMO, and a big single player in 5 years while building up the company itself that would have been a miracle like walking on water.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Elite dangerous -

Kickstarter: November 2012
    Pre-release to backers: December 2013
    Final game release: December 2014
    Total development time: 2 years and one month.
    Expansions since launch: 2

Initial fund requirement to launch via Kickstarter = $2 million

Once hit, Frontier stopped taking kickstarter funds.

Before completion, David Braben refunded funds to those who requested it, money given for features which would not make it into the final game.

Additionally, instead of endlessly developing a game, they have released the game and released expansions separately. This gives consumers the option of having additional features and game modes, should they wish to, instead of funding additional game elements and not releasing a game until one person decides. The consumer decides.

And then we come full circle about technology - Frontier Developments use their own engine; Cobra. So, they have total and utter control over the engine, because they wrote it. Because it's theirs'. It is on PC, XBox and soon PS4. It also support all VR variations; Occlus, Vive, Steam VR and other peripheral connections from Thrustmaster and TrackIR, for those who want the full experience. And it is their game engine. Them. No one else.

AND THIS TOOK TWO YEARS.

And if that wasn't enough for you, to cap off this small miracle, Frontier Developments also released "Planet Coaster" (85% Metacritic) during this period, and sold 400,000 units in the first month. Again, using their own game engine.

My overriding point and response to your comment is this: Frontier Developments have proven two things. Firstly, that a space game with zero-G dogfighting does not take longer than 12 months to release an alpha and secondly, that you can use your own engine to do it. Expanding that, it also does not take longer than 25 months to fully release a game, and any additional content can be developed in accordance with the desires of the community, and released as DLC/Expansions.

So ANY argument stating contrary to that is a falsity, as proven by another game company.

---
    Citations:
    ---

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/
    https://www.frontier.co.uk/our_technology/

---
    Reviews:
    ---

8/10
    Edge Magazine
    "Satisfying handling that sets a new standard for any cockpit-based genre."

4/5
    The Guardian
    "Vast, Beautiful and Intimidating."

86%
    PC Gamer
    "Capable of delivering some of the best stories about spaceships you've ever taken part in."

8/10
    Eurogamer
    "I fell in love with Elite all over again."
    ---

I dare , I double dare SC to get reviews of their final game to be anywhere near that.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    I used to care about the project, checking it on a daily basis. Following all the posts / videos / being active on the forums. All the way to having several ships all together worth approximately 150$.

Now I just wait when they finally release something, all the deadlines have long past.

6. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Does anyone remember that episode of BoJack horseman where Todd and a quentin tarantino parody try to make a film, but instead of making a film they keep changing what they are doing and eventually make a bi annual fruit snackbox subscription ...

Can't wait for my first box of chocolates and nuts to come through.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Vulkan cool, Star Citizen would be cool if it was finally released :)

8. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac mini
    DSOG posted up that ubisoft was reluctant to use DX12 due to optimisations getting closer to the metal.
    Perhaps Vulcan is a little more developer friendly?

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    No, Vulkan is more difficult because the toolset/resources for Vulkan are minimal compared to what Microsoft provides for DX12. Star Citizen employs the majority of the CryEngine team now, so I imagine it's not a problem for them.

10. Nedum

Nedum New Member

GPU:
    ATI R9 290X
    The genome difference between humans and chimpanzee is 1.23%.
    Ok, not so fair, this is about 40 million differences in our DNA, but I want to show you that if you try to go into percent’s, you easily can run in huge problems.
    A 5% difference may sound not so much, but with each new variable, each % point can change things completely.
    95% of the same is not by 100% the same.
    You all shouldn't "eat" all the s*it a developer is telling you and that's the point CIG is doing the whole long day; telling Stories.
    Till today the things they have delivered are lightyears away from the promises. That's a fact and facts are the things which should matter!
    I am a day one backer and till today there is only one rule for this project: if there is chance there could be a reason for a delay, CIG will pick this chance like a dog the bone. This new announcement smells like a new reason for a delay. For sure something they can "use" for "later the day".
    Wanna bet?

11. Mtom

Mtom Member

GPU:
    290X lightning
    You are comparing apples to oranges here.
    Elite has its own engine yes, it was ready long before even their Kickstarter .
    So they had at least 1-2 years headstart on star citizen. They had an established studio already, whereas CIG had 10-12 people at the start of 2013.
    Also because they made the game "you are the ship" style they had like a few thousand times less work to do than at SC. They didn't need internal physics grid for the ships, they didn't need ship interiors, station interiors, any objects you can interact with.
    The two games are following a different path, and because SC was originally started as an FPS universe, where you run around in FPS mode and interact with everything get in and out of your ship, and stations, etc, they couldn't start the game without the FPS element.

Also yeah Elite is launched and then you get expansions, all of them at the cost of an individual game. Where did i hear that before, yeah i know in the countless "bash the publisher because of DLCs"

TLDR you proved two points:

Firstly, that a space game with zero-G dogfighting - and no FPS view/fight, no interiors, no hand weapons, no localized physics, no real content, no character models/animations, and only a few ship models - does not take longer than 12 months to release - if you started the development way before the kickstarter and you have your already established studio - an alpha and secondly, that you can use your own engine to do it - if you have your own studio which works on said engine for devades before the games kickstarter even start -> "COBRA has been carefully planned, developed and evolved since 1988. " https://www.frontier.co.uk/our_technology/

So basically you proved only that SC is not at all late given the much bigger scope compared to Elite, and that they needed to build the studios/teams/etc.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    It does make sense.

Since the article says they are dropping DirectX altogether, are they dropping it for things other than rendering as well?

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Probably because... ubisoft.

14. SharkyUK

SharkyUK New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1080 TI
    Someone let me know when the 3dfx Glide build is ready...

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I think people are being a little too dismissive. This decision makes sense. The game is intended to be released for more than just Windows 10, which is what DX12 is strictly limited by. They're on a time crunch and their funding is running short. Maintaining 2 APIs will just get too expensive, especially when DX12 doesn't really offer any significant benefits over Vulkan. As for Mantle, supporting that made sense at the time, when DX12 and Vulkan weren't really a thing. Mantle was nothing more than a proof-of-concept; it fulfilled its purpose but to my knowledge, nobody supports it anymore, not even AMD. So, Vulkan is the next best thing.

I like that they're restricting it to Vulkan-only too, because that really limits what hardware can play the game. Intentionally not supporting old tech ought to make the game look and perform its best.

Anyway, I think the game will be released, I just wish they'd stop focusing on adding features like ships, guns, and different game modes, and just focus on making it playable. I'd much rather play the game's core be complete and get additional content as time goes by. My biggest gripe with this game is their priorities.

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    yup, and Elite Dangerous lost the Offline capability a short while before launch, and my money.

Nearly all of the Voice acting has been done in SC/S42, and the cost to pay those actors had to come from somewhere.

Most of us backers are happy to wait, its not like we are continually pumping money into it (some are, but they are their own problem....).

Are you a Star Citizen backer ? (Just wondering...no probs if you are)

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    Mantle is dead end as all ressource are in Vulkan (that work on any GPU)...

18. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    Vulkan is the son of GL and Mantle... :)

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Yeah, like that would nullify any fact about what I copied into my post!

The facts are the facts, 'sir - and I look forward to the reviews...in 2056.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Yeah, we know you're looking forward to reviews. You only write the same exact thing, multiple times, in every single Star Citizen thread. You might as well just change your name to "IHateSetTopBoxes&StarCitizen" because it's basically your only contribution to this forum.