Choppy downloading packets

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Clerity, Aug 13, 2013.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    From what I can find, page faults on those 2 processes aren't an issue because they're low priority processes.

Any change in network performance after updating your AMD drivers?

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Dont worry about the page fualts as they will happen any time anything is pulled from the HHD and will alwas have the highest us. Unless you getting sound clipping/popping from your audio it not an issue.

Though I would turn off Windows search. I think those exe are part of windows search which i never used it even when I used HDD. Long as you not get 1000+us spikes on the other indicators your should have no issues with latency

Realtec nic arent the best but if u have them I recommend 7053 drivers as driver past that had issue with cause dpc spikes ever few seconds, No clue if it was ever fixed in recent drivers, as i never switched nic drivers again.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  3. Clerity

Clerity Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    To acknowledge you both, I am still having the same problem but is has lessened from that. Drop outs are less drastic but they still happen frequently. If there's anymore information I can post let me know. I will still consider the Intel NIC, but wouldn't that only be for a wired connection? Wireless is my preference, but not necessary otherwise.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wireless is not good for gaming, and never will be to many things can and will interfere with it imo. there is always the possibilty that the nic gone bad only way to find out is get new nic

And what exaclty you mean by drop outs.. As wifi will always have drop outs in some way.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

5. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Exactly. If you're going to continue to try and game online wireless, expect problems. Wireless and gaming don't mix and its not worth it. Get a hardwired connection, enjoy the improved performance and stability and save yourself the headache.

6. Clerity

Clerity Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    I guess I'm struggling to explain it without an example.

I can run Borderlands 2 On maximum settings including physx on high, 60fps (max)

When I switch over to Tera(MMO), I will go from 60 -> 4-5 fps in spikes. Like I can take two steps on my character when suddenly the game freezes, then it's back to normal, then it freezes again, and on and on. I am certain it is not my graphics card, rather something with my network, that's why I'm trying to figure out the deal just with wireless, because I believe there must be a common factor when my wireless and wired connections have the same result in connection with Tera.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    your network is gona kill fps in any game like that not even a mmo.

8. Clerity

Clerity Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    I'm assuming you meant isn't. And the fps drops because the game freezes, it does this with all online games, but not offline ones.

Edit:
    Thanks to those who took the time to try and help me troubleshoot this, unfortunately I'm giving up. Gonna end up just taking it in to get looked at and be done with it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  9. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    hi there, i advice you to buy a pci of any kind of network interface that is not wireless, so you can keep testing, please choose a chipset brand like intel, like some of the users here said, its the moust reliable, dont be spending too much tho, because we are just ruling out the if its a driver chipset issue with the inboard network component.

trust me a 15 usd network card, is much better thant to fiddle with the infinite causes that might be linked to the packet loss.

Oh and btw dont feed the trolls friend, just ignore and respond to the ppl that are trully being helpful and not to the ones that come tired, bored of their jobs and taking some steam off with you just because they have this illusion of entitlement to ridicule other beacuse of their ''skilled'' pc knowledge.

Trust me man, some ppl take their guru title too serious =)

10. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    ohh by the way, i remember a clients inboard network card having an option, in the driver settings, (that you can accsess through the windows DEVICE MANNAGER) there was an option called Green Switch or somthing to save power, can you check to see if you have that option?

if so turn it off, beacuse is a power saving feature on some realtek network devices that some drivers execute by default. I remember my client having some lag and latency issues because of it.

Do that before buying anything.

11. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti