Choosing between the GIGABYTE 990X-GAMING SLI/GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 R5/ASUS M5A99FX PRO

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Strike105X, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Strike105X

Strike105X Member Guru

GPU:
    RX480Nitro+@4Gb
    GIGABYTE 990X-GAMING SLI

or

GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 R5

or

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

The main things i'm interested are:

-proper windows 10 driver support
    -overclocking above 4.6 Ghz (maybe i'm gonna get an FX83XX CPU in the future atm i have a FX4300)
    -XMP profile support for RAM.
    -decent vrm cooling.

2. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2050
    Since i made a mistake once and read tons of bullcr*p about vrm cooling if i were
    to make another choice at picking a board for 4.6ghz+ then i'd go with asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0
    everything else is straight up cr*p in terms of vrm cooling.

3. Strike105X

Strike105X Member Guru

GPU:
    RX480Nitro+@4Gb
    Unfortunately that one is unavailable from where i can get it, those are my only options.

4. Strike105X

Strike105X Member Guru

GPU:
    RX480Nitro+@4Gb
    Decided on the Gigabyte 990X gaming motherboard in the end, it actually has an 11 phase design so i doubt it wouldn't be able to get me to 4.6 Ghz, the extra features and awesome price makes it just to good to pass up.

5. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2050
    Everything from here can get you to 4.6 easily, problem is anything beyond that is pretty much off limits. Its a pretty bad loop actually, to get more than 4.6
    you need liquid cooling but for the vrms to be cool you need air cooling on the
    cpu so that it makes some kind of flow in the case. Having liquid makes the vrms
    overheat faster than ever. Speaking from personal experience here.

6. Strike105X

Strike105X Member Guru

GPU:
    RX480Nitro+@4Gb
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up, 4.6 is really all i need for the tasks i'm interested in, its good that i can relly on that, the G990X has some pretty cool features and its much cheaper then the other two, that's why i wanted to go for it, i also plan on going on air, with my 212 hyper evo, no water cooling, though i plan to have a decent ventilated case.

EDIT: in the end i went with the ASUS board, the vrm solution on the 990X doesn't seem reliable and i don't want to risk it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016