Choosing a case. Is PSU dust filter necessary

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by lgmcben, Mar 29, 2010.

1. lgmcben

lgmcben Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5900XT
    Is PSU dust filter necessary?

I'm asking this because I wonder why many popular cases don't have it. (eg. Coolermaster CM690, Thermaltake element T, ...)

If yes, please recommend me cases that have the filter. The budget is around $100

Thank you in advance !

2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Mmm well the PSU is more of an exhaust than an intake. It doesnt collect as much dust as you would think because its not near the front of the case. You could just simply tape some mesh over the fan grill and when it comes time to clean, just shake it off.

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    So you are looking for case which has PSU at the bottom and PSU gets cool air under the case ?

4. lgmcben

lgmcben Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5900XT
    Hi. Thank you for your replies.

Yes. =)

5. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    if you want a case that has the psu inverted so it sucks air in from under the case then you will want a dust filter for sure. most cases ive seen with that config have filters of some kind buiilt in.

6. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    The most recent case Ive worked on that was like that was the Thermaltake V3. A VERY inexpensive case, but it does the job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The PSU goes on the bottom and it has this plastic mesh thingy that you can take out and clean if you need to.

7. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    rofl. that plastic mesh thingy is a filter...:)

8. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    You can't see it very well but yeah. Look at the light going threw to the floor on the vent next to it.

That's the same style filter my Lancool uses. You just shake them on or wash them off. Other wiser you have the sponge style that are harder to clean and dry.

I have that same case on my back up rig. Looks nicer in person then in the pictures.