Choice of CPU for HTPC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xKrNMBoYx, Nov 26, 2011.

1. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    It's been a while since I posted here, but I need help.

I bought a motherboard so I could transition from DDR2 to DDR3 memory

The particular motherboard may need to upgrade it's BIOS in order to use my 1055T processor. So I purchased a cheap Sempron 130 along with it. After I flash the BIOS I intend on to make a spare computer out of the remaining parts and the Sempron processor.

The deal is I have a computer upstairs that is being used as a HTPC setup. Currently it is running a Athlon X2 4050e. It's a 2.1GHz Dual Core with a TDP of 45W and a 65nm design. Lately the computer is lacking power to get the HSF spinning at start up. There is a old 300w Antec Power Supply being used in it. In my memory I believe the problem may be the HSF because when i put a different fan in there was no problems with the fan not spinning at start up.

Do you think that a Sempron 130 would be a better CPU for a HTPC setup.

Sempron 130, Single Core, 2.6GHz, 45nm, 45W TDP
    Athlon X2 4050e, Dual Core, 2.1GHz, 65nm, 45W TDP

That's the only difference I can think of currently.

Will there be any difference in power usage? Will the 2.6GHz clock speed be better than the 2.1GHz in the Dual-Core? (I wont be Overclocking)

At the end I'm not going to buy another HSF or a Power Supply for this problem.

What would help would be if the 2.6GHz clock of the Single Core Sempron will be better with HTPC than the 2.1GHz clock of the Dual Core Athlon.

Thanks

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It depends on the applications the "htpc" is using. The Athlon X2 4050e will be faster in any multi-threaded applications, while the Sempron would be faster in single-threaded applications. The power usage between the processors won't be noticable.

3. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    Thanks for the reply.

I basically set up so that my mother could watch videos over the internet.
    99% of the videos are from online/streamed/not downloaded. Is Adobe Flash/Google Chrome multi-threaded?

What about Office 2010 applications, do they work better with a multi-core setup?