chilly enough?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by vexed_uk, Dec 9, 2005.

1. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    unfortunatly my pipefitting friend wassnt as much help as i hoped, so i had to do all the bending by my slef lol

2. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    right i made a little mix of probably %50(windscreen stuff) 25%(water) 25%(antifreeze) and i got down to -10.

[​IMG]

humm frost?...no...ice? yes.

3. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Awsome!!! :)

4. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

that looks pretty cool! I wonder how much heat that thing can handle...

5. dmak

dmak Master Guru

GPU:
    zotac 770
    dont really have much to contribute in knowledge, but it might pay of to sticky this? if possible... I am definatly interested, and I am assuming a few others are with the same lack of experience as me and would like to keep up with following this thread... or start a work log section :)

6. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    too keep ypu guys up to date, earlier today i decided that before i put it on a cpu i need to get it colder...-10 issnt going to cut it. so off i went down to the pound shop and got me some "Concentrated Screen Wash" its includes anti-freeze and should be perfect. i also put a bottle of diliuted antifreeze in the freezer, so i could freeze the water inside and just get the antifreeze out..will run the system soon again see if i can get below -10.

[​IMG]

just £1 thats $1.25 too you yanks out there :)

7. phrozin

phrozin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    Run ethanol or denatured alcohol or don’t know what they call it in uk but here mentholated spirits it won’t freeze up on you, windscreen wiper fluid contains methanol but same stuff and will go lower temps watch for condensation but all in all nice job you can also run water and glycol to stop it freezing up just add more glycol

Forgot get that res insulated you be losing some of that nice cooooooool!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  8. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    ah..lol this stuff is made of ethanol and antifreeze, which is a bonus however i need to make my res air tight to stop any evap of the alcohol (ethanol)..i have now got my res insualted, havnt posted anypics tho lol...thats how i got down to minus ten, also an interesting fact after i ran it too -10 i turned it all off and left it alone, 6 hours later..still at -1.3 by the time i woke up the next moring it was still 4 degrees below the room temp. (good insulation :D) lmao.

9. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    right guys, im starting to get abit stressed with this thing. at first i added 100% antifreeze and that bottle of stuff i showed you, that tuned into a icy slime at around -3.5 and wouldnt get anycolder. i put a drop of water in and it the temp droped down to -10 and stayed there. then the next day i added more water and this happened. went to -8 then..
    [​IMG]
    ok am i doing something wrong..there issnt enought water in there to effect it this much. i think the antifrezze is freezing?

10. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    right guys, for those who didnt read my other post, heres what i spent doing this afternoon

Stage one,
    as those of you know, i brought all my watercooling bits for my "chiller" and mostly i havnt paid much attention to them as well...i had other things to worry about, but now i decided too as my mate pointed out the rubbishnuss of the waterblock i got....

[​IMG]

as you can see from this image...NOT very shiny, and shiny is good :) so this is bad lol

so i got out the sand paper...most people will tell you to start with a low grain like 320 and work all the way down too, well as low as you can find. i argree with this lol. so i started with P320>P500>P600>P1200 only beacuse this is all i could find in the garage..and this is what i got.

[​IMG]

which is better..not good enought tho, but i didnt have anything lower than P1200, so i had a brain wave.

Stage 2,

having recently buffed my car, i decided maby i could do the same with the block..

so..i started with this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

off i went doing that

[​IMG]

and look how much i removed from the copper.

[​IMG]

now after i finished with that paste, this is how it looked...still alot better but i can still see the scratches and well thats not good enought

Stage 3

T-CUT, yes the stuff you send the kids out to use on your car..which then then pour on, and remove and massive patch of paint. but i used it right, and it was good :) lol

[​IMG]

after applying to a damp cloth :p , i started rubbing and removed a fair amount more of the copper..

[​IMG]

after 20mins the finished item..

[​IMG]

just like a mirror.

11. dmak

dmak Master Guru

GPU:
    zotac 770
    bloody amazing... good sanding

12. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 Ultra 425/1120
    Very very VERY informative thread, thank you!

I think the problem you had using neat antifreeze might be down to volume of th liquid doing wacky things around freezing point - water does rather strange things around freezing point volume wise, so that could be why it didn't work without any water at all.

Could be dead wrong on that one... and do bear in mind that condensation effects inside the computer case are a big no-no. You don't water dripping onto your motherboard.

I think you'll have to be careful when actualy testing the thing on a computer - if you start at too low a temp you'll get condensation (CPU etc won't produce enough heat to stay above freezing) and if you start too high then the CPU will get too hot before the cooling really matches it.

I'm sure with your skills, you'll find it real quick - but I seem to remember compressor kits having an ideal "pre-start" phase measured in minutes.

13. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    well, today was interesting..i used a mix of water and antifreeze. strange thing when i hit -5, bubbles. lots and lots of bubbles lol

regarding the insulation...sorted it basicly lol. sorry for being vaigue..ill post some more info on it later with pictures and stuff :)

14. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    So any progress? I've read that pure alchohol is the way to go if you want to stop your res from icing up...

15. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    pure alcohol is good, it requiers an air tight res tho :(.....about 4 weeks ago when i upgraded to this pc..i used it on my 2500+ with very little sucess. i couldnt even keep contract with the cpu die..so i decided ide rather sell it (2500+) than break it...£60 richer now lol
    so until i get an old mobo and cpu to test on, its just going to sit in the garage.

16. Nerm

Nerm Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Evga 7900gt Signature Series
    Another thing I don't think anyone has mentioned yet. When you actually hook this up to a processor use AS Ceramique as your thermal compound not AS5 or anything else. The reason for this is that AS Ceramique does the best at transfering heat when block temps are under 0*C.

17. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    Kinda been missing your so excellent progress!!! Nice polishing! I suggested that idea along with Mustang to someone else months ago and lots of guys said we were crazy??? ... nice job! GL, Pat et. al. have some real good points on liquids/solutions and Phrozen ... well the name says it all ... airtight/sealing (hence bubbles) is critical and as you already discovered almost no solution works well without some "purified" form of H2o ... very nice progress Vex!:) ...

18. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
  19. irfdude

irfdude Guest

GPU:
    8800 gts 320
    top notch thread!!!! keep it going

20. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    if i wanted a non conductive liquid i suppose i could try deionised water..got aload down stairs so i might giv it a shot. only problem is i havnt got anything to test it on , even if i actaully get it working well :(