chilly enough?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by vexed_uk, Dec 9, 2005.

1. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    right, hi guys

my dads humidifyer just died today :) which is bad for him but should make for an interesting project for me over the christmas period. its just my cooling knowledge is more, water and air based...and i dnt even know what i can make with what ive got? help? lol

http://www.vexed.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/IMG_5193.jpg - overall view

http://www.vexed.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/IMG_5194.jpg - rad

thats what ive got to play with, what can i make?

btw its an electrical problem, which is why its broke.

2. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    Hell if i know :bugeye:

3. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    It looks pretty much like a larger version of what vapochill use to power their units, but i have no idea what you could do to attempt to use that thing!!

4. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    Hmmm ... classic quote candidate!!!??? ^^:dave:

Looks like it's more than a humidifier! Google the model/serial #'s ... if the motor is fried it's cheaper to replace than you might think, if your into that sort of thing ... also if there are no refrigerant leaks you could be on your way to a pretty fun project ... but if the system isn't still sealed, that can become more time/$$$ than it's worth ...

5. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    atm im having problems, getting the compressor to actually run. at first i thought it was an electrics problem, which is all good and well apart from...how do i fix that? is there anyway i can make my own powersupply for the compressor just to test it? it says 220-240V 50hz on it...so just a plug in the wall job then?

6. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    Well this could be a little more time than ... 220v typically won't plug into std 110v typical house current ... take a look at the plug? ... if there isn't one ...Do not just wire a std plug on there! really your best bet for simplicity/appliction you should match horsepowers to a simple single phase 110v motor as a replacement ... ask around at the local supplier ... bring the motor to them, they can even test it and/or give you trade-in value ... you'll have to also match pully's/motor mounts etc. ... it's not as hard as you might think ... but you will need some tools ... STD Safety Disclaimer ... take your time be carefull, don't do anything electrically until your comfortable with what your objective is ... hope that helps a bit ...

7. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    110v? umm uk mate lol 240v from what i can tell from the small wire diagram theres only a small fuse inbetween the plug and the compressor

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  8. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    Ya if we're going to rehab this into a super cooler for the computer box and the motor is bad ... in the long run it's easier to convert to 110v now as oppossed to rewiring the house current or worse yet having to possibly unplug the household dryer or whatever:nerd: and set up in the laundry room ... look into what I said previously ... it's not that hard, and for sure can be a lot o fun if the rest of the system is Tight ...

9. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    this is whats on the back
    [​IMG]

this is the wireing diragram
    [​IMG]

10. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    TomCatV , so with that wireing diagram and stuff about the voltages...u still think i should get the power thing like u said?

11. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    OK ... lets back up here a bit ... from that diagram I'd say your located here in the states possibly our neighbors to the North ... and hopefully your not steeling my wireless ... as I don't have any ... Hee hee ...

Time for a little detective work ... why was the unit being replaced as opposed to being repaired? ... this may end the project sooner depending on the research/effort/$$$ you want to do ... ?

Is there a plug on it? ... does it go into a "control?" box with wires leading to the motor? black cylindical thingy with a pully and fanbelt going to the compressor? ... I hope so cause if it's "integrated" unit, it may be more than we should tackle in "text"? Google the model #/manufacturer and find out the horsepower spec if you can't see it in plain site? as a single phase replacement may be more than you want to spend?

Or ...If there's a plug on it we can do a simple shakedown of why it's being replaced, but it would be easier to know beforehand "History" from the ?service guy who replaced it? ... maybe? ... paper trail ...?
    You need to find a 220v outlet! ... where the new unit is?/ electric clothes dryer/kitchen range(stove)/the garage for 220v power tools? even sometimes a "hot-tub" although many of those unit's are more simplified these days ... we're going to get in trouble? ... maybe? ... with you know who? ... well hope not ... and the more I think about it ... why wasn't it repaired? ... unless you have a somewhat shady "Maytag" repairman? ...

12. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    ok, im over in the uk :) lol and not stealing ur wireless, i hate that stuff. eitherway i live with my parents still, and only 2day the thing stopped working. now, ill get some pics to show u just how it all works, as for the motor...there issnt one, well unless its hiding in the big black thing lol. regarding the power, the leads go from a plug in the wall to a switch inside the machine, thu a pcb board and down into the compressor..as far as i can tell. the pcb is dead, as i multimeterd the wires connecting the pcb to the compressor to find no feed. this was before i blew my multimeter up testing another section of the circuit...that did have a feed lol.

13. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    honestly, you have your work cut out for you indeed.

might be easier to buy a working compressor that runs off 110/120v.

Do you want to build a single stage or build a chilled water setup?

I mean think about all the stuff you need here for phase change...the evaporator is definitely the hardest part, and do you have the equipment to braze?

This is a huge project!

14. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
  15. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    i think im after doing the water chiller, my friend is an gas fitter so he should have all the brazing kit? honsitly i know very little about either, are there any sites with something i can read about making either one?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005

16. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    Well that's not what I was hoping to see and I'm further detered by the fact you're in the UK and I'm not familiar with a lot of the standards there:

www.vexed.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/two.jpg - power cable and compressor

You'll need to get into the Black unit pictured above and determine the relationship between the motor/compressor ... and follow up on a lot of my previous suggestions ... I'm not sure what a "gas fitter" is in the UK but if he's a "pipe-fitter" he'll certainly be handy ... brazing, later on ... but as Hanshotsaid this could very well be a huge exercise in frustration ... not that you won't learn alot ... but you may look at it as a "waste" of time ... depends on your personality I guess ... ???

Anyway checkout some of the mods right here @G3D it'll give you a better picture where you could possibly be headed ... I'd link it but not quite sure where it is and I'm presently 56k'in ... the Big D n all ...

17. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    thanks for your help so far, its been muchly appriciated...if i can get anything below 10 degrees ill be happy lol. i know an electrician who ill ask about the power stuff, and ive got my "gas fitter" mate who im sure does gas pipeng lol comeing round tomorrow show ill show it him and see what he thinks..as for opening the big black thing, i dnt raelly know what im doing so ill look at it but if it was to leak or anything would that be hazordus? but i have to say it looks sealed tight, makes me wanna open it more! lol :)

18. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    Do not open it until your sure of the relationship with regards to the seals relateing to the closed part of the system! (refrigerant) ... I find it hard to believe the "motor" isn't more accessible ... but it sounds like the proper help/advise is on the way ... sorry I couldn't be more help ... this is very challenging doing these sort of projects in text/Jpeg ... hope it works out and keep us advised!

It will also greatly help if you have an "exploded" parts list view ... and potetially will the proper future mods you can see will below -0c temps depending how far you want to go ...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  19. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    i checked the compressor out, its deffinatly NOT accsessable. its sealed tight and i fear ill do more damage attempting to open it than anything else..could u tell me what kind of things ill need to create a waterchiller setup? like i said im a complete noob to this and leanrt a great deal alone today..but i could do with some sort of outline? to follow...dont know if u could point me in the right direction? idealy i want this to be able to run 24/7 as quietly as possible lol

20. Nerm

Nerm Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Evga 7900gt Signature Series
    It uses r134a refrigerant so that is a good thing. Does it say anywhere what HP the compressor is?