Chernobyl/Nuclear/Japan?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Jeremy, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremy

Jeremy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Ive always had an interest in the Chernobyl disaster, even before the stalker games but I had never really watched any documentaries on it until the other day. I had no idea how close we came to a full world-wide nuclear disaster, apparently had the soldiers not drained out the water underneath the nuclear plant, an explosion between 3-5 megatons would have resulted in Europe being completely uninhabitable!

The work that the 500,000 or so people risk their lives to do does not get enough recognition, these people are true heroes - many of whom are now either dead or disabled because of the effects of radiation.

Coming from a country with a ban against nuclear activity I feel quite lucky, but with the recent earthquake in Japan I am concerned whether there could potentially be a disaster with the nuclear power plants after some were affected by the earthquake..

Thoughts??

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Exactly what Ive been thinking the past few days, I hope and pray that is not the case, but theres not much you can do with reactors once they start to meltdown

3. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    My only wish about nuclear power is that people would learn that a meltdown doesn't produce a gigantic nuclear explosion.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Typically it's the media that blow it out of proportion, but you can't help feel worried when an earthquake of 8.1 or whatever hits an area near a nuclear power plant.

Does anyone know how safe it is to visit Chernobyl, I would like to visit it one day. I know it's possible, but how risky do you think it would be in terms of radiation exposure?

5. zinjin

zinjin Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga
    But, but, but, but, it does on the movie screen and on TV, so its gotta be that way, right? LOL

Leave it to Hollywood to embellish such notions.

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Chernobyl used different type of rector than what they use in Japan. Accident that huge was not really possible there.

And tbh, banning nuclear power is not that smart thing to do, there simply is no alternative to it atm. We need electricity and nuclear power is quite clean, enviromentally friendly, safe and effective.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This is why in the UK we bury our reactors 30m underground, under many hundreds of tons of steel, to prevent this kind of thing from happening. What people don't realise is that pumping water with the right chemical compounds in (name boron, and a few other metals) kills the nuclear reaction dead, end of. Thats what the japanese are doing as I understand, so no real meltdown. Nowhere near as bad as Chenobyl anyway.

8. MrDaniel

MrDaniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 660 Ti Jetstrea
    Yeah, Boric acid is being pumped in I believe. It absorbs a very high percentage of the neutrons emitted, whereas the water used when energy is being produced absorbs very little (although I believe it does slow them to a speed where more fissions occur).

Control rods are the key difference between Chernobyl and here though. In Chernobyl they were below the fissile material, so that had to be raised which was impossible when there's no power.

Modern reactors don't use that design. I recall reading somewhere that they hang above, and are held in place by electromagnets so that if there's a power cut they will simply fall and isolate the rods from each other, making a chain reaction impossible. I'm not definitely right on this though, so don't quote me on it.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Some retards have been hoarding iodine tablets, here in Finland?!? I can't believe this!

10. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    no nothing will happen, the media is clueless and spamming untrue bull****.

11. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
  12. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Aye.

[​IMG]

13. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Not quite, the rods that are inserted from the bottom are power distribution rods, they are designed to ensure that power creation across the reactor is even. The emergency control rods are inserted from the top.

The Chernobyl disaster was caused by a combination of incompetence and poor reactor design.

The workers were carrying out an experiment to see if the reactor control systems would work correctly on run down power. Power was shut down to the turbines which supplied the reactor cooling pumps, as these coasted down emergency diesel generators kicked in however during this run down phase the decreased load on the cooling pumps lead to an increase build up of steam in the cooling systems. This in turn leads to one of the main issues issue with the RMBK reactors and that's the positive void co-efficient, in essence this means the more steam in the water cooling system the less effective the coolant is at absorbing neutrons, this in turns leads to an increase in reactor output. Just about every reactor on the planet is designed with a negative void coefficient.

The experiment they were running lead to the this positive void coefficient which meant that the reactor started to increase output as the turbines ran down and steam started to build up in the cooling system. This lead to a situation where an emergency SCRAM was initiated. This brings up the second major issue with the RMB design, the poor design of the reactor control rods. They were made of two materials and consisted of a rod tip made of graphite and the control surface part of the rod made of boron carbide. Graphite has no neutron absorbing properties which meant that on initial insertion of the rods no reaction control occurs until the boron carbide part of the rod enters the coolant channel. This mean that upon insertion of the rod in to the coolant channel the rod tip, the graphite tip part, actually displaces the reactor coolant in the channel. Basically the control rods initial insertion actually causes the reaction to increase until the boron carbide part of the rod goes in. In the case of Chernobyl the issue with the positive void coefficient combined with the flaw in the rod design meant that when the reactor was SCRAMed the insertion of the rods caused a massive increase in pressure and heat (reactor power output) which lead to the explosion of some of the fuel rods which in turn jammed the control rods in place at only one third insertion.

14. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
  15. Jeremy

Jeremy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I watched another one before too, playing STALKER is surreal after watching all this stuff. Have nearly finished the game too, very happy that I still have 2 games (possibly 3 with STALKER 2) to play after this one!

16. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I do not know the geographical layout of japan but if you know you are prone to tsunamis..couldnt you put these nuclear plants as far away from the water as possible?

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    It's not that simple. Japan is extremely crowded, and nobody wants to live anywhere near a nuclear plant. So not only is there limited space to place them, it's even more limited due to public opinion.

18. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    ty that makes sense now..they stilkl need to find a better solution...could they build these facilities underground..contained so water could not get in..i know its far fetched but its just a thought

19. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    They need water to cool down those plants, if there is no cooling, core will melt.

I think that they use sea water and then remove the crap from it. Also they release water they used back to sea.

20. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.