Check out the beautiful demo of Unity Lion - runs at 4K @ 30FPS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. ulyxon

ulyxon Member

GPU:
    1030 2GB
    This is amazing. How is working on a game in Unity compared to Unreal 5?

3. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    meh 30 FPS. It does look good at least.

4. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    I haven't touched unreal since early v3 so I can't compare but Unity keeps spending money on acquiring this kind of tech that only a very small handful of game would use and instead is lagging really hard in terms of editor usability, performance and polish..... my project is on the small-medium size but I have to wait more than a minute to start play-testing after changing a single line of code......

5. ulyxon

ulyxon Member

GPU:
    1030 2GB
    Does this demo run with ray tracing? Does Unity support it? I haven't played any game on Unity with RT on.

6. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Every once in a while Unity publishes some amazing looking demo. But real games that use Unity, never look like anything close.
    Asides from a couple of games, all games that use Unity look very basic. Even on PC, most look like mobile ports.
    UE tech demos also look better than games, but the difference is not as huge as with Unity.

ulyxon likes this.
  7. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    It's nice to know that we'll still have realistic looking lions after we kill off all the wildlife in our effort to make computers that can run this type of complex graphical imaging available to the masses.

8. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    Just continues to prove that eye candy is a bigger draw than actual content. Games used to be about the story line. For the last 20 years or more story lines have been sacrificed for the choice of visual graphics. Worse is that these tech demos are supposed to show what's possible and yet we don't have actual running games that look anything like the tech demos from 10+ years ago... so they are just very expensive gimmicks that suck in the developers because at the end of the day that is what the zombie public will part with their cash for...

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Missing the little details, like dust on the cubs fur when it rolls over, and dust kicking up.

10. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Dude, it's running on a PS5. The GPU in that has very roughly the same power as a 2070.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    long way away from seeing anything close to in an actual game in real time with 60 fps, unitiy demos do tend extreme nice to look at

12. Unity is mainly used on mobile platforms. These next-gen demos are nice, they might even bring some attention, but they are utterly pointless. Their forward renderer, which is mainly used on mobiles, is terribly outdated and badly maintained. I really like Unity, but they should focus on stuff that matters.

13. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I’d rather turn down some settings to get at least 60FPS

14. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Not sure I’m that interested in what Unity is up to these days after they announced a merger with IronSource, best known for its malware delivery system and monetisation software which will probably be shoehorned into every Unity game available.

15. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Right. Not sure you get the whole point of this demo. https://www.siggraph.org/

TheDeeGee likes this.