Check if your PC is compatible with the Microsoft Windows 11 tool

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 25, 2021.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It won't. The TPM is just a storage mechanism for keys.
    To me it looks that Windows 11 is an attempt to enforce a new hardware baseline.

I don't think that their TPM requirement is artificial nor excessive, just that most people don't even know where it is in their bios and they panic.

It's the same for UEFI/GPT, and to an extension for systems using pre-DX12 GPUs, non-NVMe drives, and CPUs without hardware mitigations.

Windows 10 is perfectly fine for the next four and a half years.

I'm worried that Microsoft is stupid and they will actually back off.

Mineria, HandR and itpro like this.
  2. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    It is an actual golden opportunity to clear the users base. That's for sure. :D

Especially windows insiders distribution. Like me for example. Despite I am insider for six years, if I don't upgrade my rig, I'm out. It's kinda hardcore though. :p

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Famous last words before we'll be required to jailbreak our PCs in the future to be able to use them the way we want...

toyo and itpro like this.
  4. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    But, we do not own neither hardware nor software though. So...what we had and what we lost anyway.

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    TPMs don't work this way. If you have the time and the patience, I recommend this video from an open source conference. The TPM is just a hardware "folder" where you store your (or your application's) encryption keys. It's nothing more or less than that.
    Check out these nerds here:
    This is also a misconception. For most software we own at least the rights of use, and depending on your exact jurisdiction, disassembling the software is also under your rights. We definitely do own our hardware, and the rights to repair/change it.

6. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    If we did own it we would be allowed to modify it. But there are legal limitations.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    So what exactly is this then:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5283799

"Compared with other DRM solutions, TBDRM can prevent replay attack and improper access enforced through cracked software."

8. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Tested 2 of my PCs seems like it is not going to be a problem i will check my laptops later.

Main PC Msi Z370 sli plus 8700k RTX 2080super enabled tpm in bios app says 100% compatible with window11 and it will let me know when upgrade in available.

Office PC Z390 A-PRO i5-9400F 1080ti enabled tpm in bios app says 100% compatible with window11 and it will let me know when upgrade in available.

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    They are if you want to keep your warranty, but you are not forbidden to modify the actual hardware you purchase. Although it depends on where you live, I guess. I'm not a lawyer.
    I bet you didn't even check the video I sent, right?

Yes, the TPM is a SECURE STORAGE FOR ENCRYPTION KEYS. Of course software can use it. Guess what, software does the same now, just with files on your computer, instead of a hardware enclave. The whole point of this is that software (including your software) has a "safe" space where its access keys can be stored without tampering. This is great against most types of viruses, worms, or sideloading attacks, but of course if you want to crack a game, it won't be that great, if the game enforces its usage.

I would like to say here that if you have any objections regarding software usage, the correct path of action is voting, not compromising computer systems.

10. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Gaming OC
    SO TPM needs secure boot enabled too? But on my mobo secure boot needs to be disabled for REBAR to work properly..

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    MS is using Windows11 as an attempt to drive PC sales up, to increase their own profits. There's no actual need for TPM. It's entirely artificial. The requirement only exists because MS wants it to exist. Requiring TPM for Windows11, results in hardware sales for people that want Windows11 but don't currently own a "compatible" system.

12. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    I don't really care, my main rig can support Win11, so I'll install Win11 on it. I'm perfectly fine with both my i7 3960X and i7 4770K rigs running Win10 as they are right now.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Related, is there a practical reason why only Core 8th gen and Ryzen 2nd gen and up are supported?

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Because there are more people running Core 7th gen and older than there are people running Core 8th gen and newer..... MS only charges for new Windows licenses, not for upgrades. If they allowed everyone with a capable system to upgrade to Windows11, their profits would be cut significantly. They make more money by forcing people to buy new computers to get Windows 11....
    As for Ryzen, there is no practical reason. Ryzen 1000 series supports the same features as Ryzen 2000 series.
    I'm actually surprised at this point that MS isn't restricting users to the upcoming or current range only since they're blocking capable processors....

alanm and itpro like this.
  15. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT

I'll take a pound of whatever this guy is smoking if he seriously thinks his system failed the check because his monitors aren't HDR.

Undying likes this.

16. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    The new UPDATED app has a new warning message now.....(TPM 2.0 must be enabled)...

enabled on BIOS and ran the checker tool....GOOD NOW

Lily GFX likes this.
  17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I don't have TPM on my Mobo but my PC is 6 years old so by the time 2025 comes around i will have upgraded it, but i am in no hurry as of yet, still a few years left in auld Bessie yet.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    MS update tool again?

I know tool on GIT that actual tells what is support and not support unlike MS tool

Lily GFX likes this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    according to whynotwin11

Attached Files:

Lily GFX likes this.
  20. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium