1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

check engine light code...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by theworldisover, Oct 9, 2009.

1. theworldisover

theworldisover Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi 960 gamer 2gb
    I got a check engine light on today and the code just says heater circuit.

Is it safe to drive the car for 2 more days? i have to wait intill monday so i can bring it to a shop and get it checked from them.

i was reading online that heater circuit is something to do with 02 sensor....can carbon monoxide now be getting in the car or something?

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Yeah what kind of car ?

3. theworldisover

theworldisover Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi 960 gamer 2gb
    hyundia elantra gt 2003

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Yeah i'm sure you will be fine then.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It measures the amount of unburnt fuel/ Co2 in the Exhaust in order to fine tune the injectors iitc. It'll be fine.

6. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    lol on my lexus it was b/c i didnt turn the nob on the gas can 3 times or something, good thing they did it for free =/

7. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Correct. It's fine, if it's an O2 sensor your car may be less fuel efficent & have less power. They are easy to replace, the sensors usually run $50-200. Do it yourself & you'll save some cash.

8. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    +1 it takes 5 mins to do, the hard part is finding it.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Make sure you do a tune up on your car like changing the spark plugs, air filter, pcv valve etc... There are a lot of things that can trigger an 02 sensor problem and simply replacing it may not solve your issue.

For example, my car was burning oil which ended up contaminating the catalytic converter. Yet the error code was 02 sensor. Fixed the oil leak and everything is fine now.

10. theworldisover

theworldisover Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi 960 gamer 2gb
    the code is.

p0030 h02s bank 1 sensor 1 heater circuit.

wtf is that?

11. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    O2 sensor heater circuit means that the heating coil built into it isn't working, that could mean a broken wire but it's most likely a bad sensor.

nhlkoho: In this case it's just the sensor, in your case burnt oil contaminated the O2 sensor.

Be prepared to pay at least $150 for that one sensor.

EDIT: That's the O2 sensor right on the exhaust manifold. You should be able to see it if you look down between the radiator and engine unless there's some plastic cover there.

You're so lucky you have a 4 cylinder motor, I actually had to lift my car up and spend a solid hour just go get both sensors out.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  12. theworldisover

theworldisover Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi 960 gamer 2gb
    So its safe to drive right? atleast for 2 more days.

i noticed sometimes the car will bog down to 20mph and wont go above that and it chugs. is that because of the sensor not getting hot anough and readig the oxygen or something?

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Like I said, lots of things can trigger an O2 sensor code. And if your car is not going above 20mph, you have another problem. Could be something simple like a vacuum leak, or it could be something a lot more serious.

I would highly recommend having it checked out and not just assuming its the O2 sensor. Most electrical parts cannot be returned once installed and I'm pretty sure it won't be cheap for a Hyundai. I used to work at an auto parts store.

14. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    That is the heated O2 sensor. I had a problem with one of my O2 sensors, the heater on the sensor failed. The sensor is located near the catalytic converter. You'll notice(if its your O2 sensor) when using a OBDII code reader that one of you O2 sensors voltage will drop a few seconds after starting the engine. That would be the bad sensor. I googled the sensor any it's under $100 for your model/make of car. This is fairly cheap, mine cost $160 with discount. See link for sensor info. http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  15. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i got once the light on for forging my Cupra to much while being on crappy 95 fuel, which in Romania had a lower RON than advertised to be,
    an injector was clogged with impure fuel...

16. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I would rather have to do that then take my car into the shop just to change out the starter because you need to lift the engine to swap it out
    EDIT: theworldisover definitly take it into the shop if its boging down to 20 mph cause at least the mechanics can tell what is wrong.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009