Cheapest way to have a car moved?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by IcE, Sep 11, 2016.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I'm trying to buy a non driving project car in Columbus and have it moved here to me. What's the least expensive option to get it here? I don't have the luxury of a friend to drive my car back, which makes it even more annoying. I looked into renting a trailer from Uhaul, but the mileage rates are retarded. Has anyone had to do this before? And if so, what method did you use?

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What is your budget? I checked Uship and it was a bit over $200.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  3. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Ideally as cheap as I can get, as it's just a beater project Taurus SHO. The less I can spend on it, the better. With that said, I'd prefer not to spend more than $300 given the relatively short distance between Columbus and Toledo.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Using Uship's calculator from Columbus to Toledo was $202.09
    https://www.uship.com/

5. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    About a decade ago I towed a car back to western NY from the DC area. We rented a Uhaul tow dolly for somewhere around $90 iirc.

*Just checked renting a UHaul tow dolly from my zip code (Columbus suburb) to Toledo... shows up as $86 + insurance and fees. Is the vehicle you're getting able to be on a tow dolly? A full trailer was only $103 + insurance etc... UHaul doesn't charge a per mile fee for trailers.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Usually the problem in urban areas is having a vehicle that has the towing capacity and is wired for lighting. I'm in a very rural area so I know at least a dozen that would do it for a case of beer. :)

7. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I checked quotes. The cheapest was Tropical at $260, which isn't horrible. The problem is, the rate gets literally doubled when I select "non operable". The car will start and move under its own power just fine, but the alternator is bad and won't charge the battery, so it will need a jump. It also needs new brake lines. Not sure if that counts as non operable or not.

They do charge a per mile fee for the truck, which I would need to tow it. My sedan isn't equipped for towing, unfortunately. And I don't know anyone who would let me borrow their pickup :bang:

8. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    I spent most of my life in very rural areas, so I guess I just assumed there was a buddy with a pickup. :/

Maybe if you call and get a quote over the phone you can explain that the car doesn't need a tow truck (which is probably what they would send if it's listed as "non operable")?

9. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    I used uship to ship my car, and it was quite reasonable.
    However, watch who is bidding. There are two types of bidders, one is a dude with a truck or two, the other is a shipping broker. Most of the shipping brokers bid really low without actually having a truck for you.
    If you pick them, as they day approaches they will try to find a truck for you. If they bid to low, they will cancel and you'll be SOL. IIRC, there is a way to check cancellations, so do that, but I'd much rather go with a small trucking company or even a dude with a truck with good reviews as they won't bid if they can't fill the spot.
    Runs and drives means can get it on the trailer, so you should be fine as long as you can jump it at both ends.