Cheap Cell phone service

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by smith10210, Jan 22, 2013.

1. smith10210

smith10210 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Im clueless when it comes to cell phones. I need to use verizon network because there is no coverage for sprint where im at so i cant get virgin mobile. My wife and pretty much everyone i talk to has verizon and coverage isnt a issue. Im looking for a prepay or anything cheap that uses verizon network. I dont care about web but i guess texting is ok because it seems like everyone texts anyway. I might go to verizon store to see what they offer but i thought i would check here first to get some opinions thanks .

2. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080
    Look for a possible Feature phones that have a dedicated keypad or the like because i am not sure but if you try to pick up a low end android device they might Force you into acquiring a data plan as well.

Or you could get an Android phone 2nd hand and go to Verizon and tell them that you want to use it without the Data plan and they might agree upon it. Not sure about it.

3. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I thought there were a lot more networks in the States like T-Mobile, AT&T, Cricket Wireless, MetroPCS, Revol and etc. There's a lot of choices in the States than say Canada. We only have Rogers, Bell, TELUS (the big 3); WIND Mobile, Public Mobile, Mobilicity, Videotron, MTS, Sasktel (tiny regional carriers).

Have you looked at Republic Wireless? They use a hybrid WiFi and cellular services to handle calls, it's rather interesting and I heard a lot of good things about this new network in the States:
    http://republicwireless.com/

It basically uses WiFi to route calls whenever you have a WiFi network and then uses cellular whenever WiFi is not possible.

deltatux

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. smith10210

smith10210 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Im looking at Trac Phone and net 10 and straight talk looks like the best deal just need to buy a phone though looks cheap and uses Verizon network.

5. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080
    Thing is with the US is if you are not in a big city it depends on which carrier has more antennas in the area you are located.

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    same in Canada and network coverage is rather spotty too since well, Canada's really big and our population density is rather small. One reason why we barely have competition up here.

deltatux