Chatter: NVIDIA RTX 4090, RTX 4080 and RTX 4070 > 16384 cores, 24 GB GDDR6X, up to 2.75 GHz and 450W TGP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2022.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    One of the major points of the current gen consoles is that they use the CPU for nothing except game logic. All storage and streaming is handled by dedicaded controllers.

Also, the shared memory is a plus, not a minus. The amount of CPU overhead saved is not trivial.

2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + C1 OLED
    So much speculation and many rumors are in abundance right now. I just watched Jay speculate that the 4090 could be $2,999.00.

Jay states in his video that Jen-Hsun Huang has a history of deciding a price at the very last minute before a release which seems illogical, disorganized and unplanned. There has to be a flip side to this coin and perhaps this should not be entertained. I don't know.

As much as I'm looking forward to the next gen tech, $3,000 bucks for a graphics card is outrageous. People buying from scalpers did not help at all. This isn't the only reason but it definitely has companies seeing a higher profit margin. I hope Jay is wrong.

We'll see what happens.

3. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti
    Releasing a $3000 GPU during a crash? You know what, sure, why not.

4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.3Ghz
    Exactly, id be amazed if any of the new cards were released at excessive prices with the market currently flooded with decent price brand new current gen cards (6900xt@£780) and a tidal wave of 2nd hand top end cards.

Maddness likes this.

5. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Nvidia are skilled at maximising their situation. IMO 4xxx series cards will be scarce until Ampere dries up. The prices will be high but then so will the performance, and people thirsty for power will pay whatever.

6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.3Ghz
    The only issue with that strategy is AMD launching top end cards in numbers. buy a 7900xt on release day or a 4090 for double price if you can find one.

Maddness likes this.
  7. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    It's possible AMD will try this time, try and do something to get more market share, last time it seemed like they gave up and decided to charge their fanbase more instead of doing anything else. I feel it would take something big, a major frustration, for a Nvidia fan (boy) to go team red TBH.

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.3Ghz
    Ha ha ha, this always makes me laugh, when brand loyalty overcomes common sense.

9. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    *Best product for your needs ;)

I buy what's best for ME, not anyone else.

That's common sense for me :)

Maddness and pegasus1 like this.
  10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.3Ghz
    I'm constantly surprised at how little some understand of business pricing strategies. At a very basic level, you add up all your expenses including R&D, manpower, advertising, logistics, components etc etc etc. Then your standard percentage profit calculation to keep the board/shareholders/creditors happy, which gives you the selling price. Now at the moment manpower is a global issue in that inflation is driving up wages, fuel costs are rising as ate component costs due to covid/Russia. So as all those costs rise, so must the selling price if the company is to keep those who provide the finances happy as well. If the company cuts prices, that saving must come from the profit percentage, this creates shareholder panic, they sell, the value of the company drops and raising finance becomes more costly. All of this is intertwinned and is computed as an algorithm in order to maintain an acceptable company liquidity state. If NV or AMD release new cards at significantly lower prices than ex0ected either, they are cutting costs somewhere or the banks/shareholders/board are happy to see a lower level cash flow, and that would be suprising in these turbulant times.

nizzen likes this.

11. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Meanwhile these companies are not just reporting record profits but also record margins.

All the points you make are of course true, those things matter and need to be considered. However, they don't matter as much as the rules of baseline capitalism - prices increased because they could be increased, products were still selling (to miners and scalpers).

With the mining boom over, for now at least, and all these other costs (inflation, energy etc.) adding up for consumers as well the pricefest is likely over. Sure, there'll still be a certain amount of people who'll buy a 4090Ti (or whatever else is the absolute best card at the time) more or less regardless of price but that market alone can't finance the entire industry.

pegasus1 likes this.
  12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.3Ghz
    Well thats supply and demand, and again the liquidity state is what matters to the shareholders and creditors.
    Also, the profits they are reporting, thats a hazy area as obviously they want to report the highest number possible to again keep the lines of credit both open and attractive.
    While wages are often reported as either gross or net, businesses may also quote final profit, they try to avoid it as obviously thats the lowest number but includes all dept repayments.

Exodite likes this.
  13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Where's the price listed?