Changing AiO water cooler.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hyderz, Sep 28, 2020.

?

Should i change the 5 years old AiO

Poll closed Oct 12, 2020.
  1. Option 1 Change to a newer AiO

20.0%
  2. Option 2 Change to Air Cooler

40.0%
  3. Option 3 Dont change at all.

40.0%
  1. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Hello fellow forum dwellers i'm in need your opinion.

I have a system i use for school. This system doesn't have a gpu, it uses the gpu in the cpu.

Specs
    i7 6700k
    Z270H- Asus strix motherboard
    16G DDR4 2666mhz
    Crucial P1 Nvme SSD
    Cooler Master ML120

There is currently nothing wrong with the pump but its coming up 5 years old.
    Option 1. Change the AiO to a newer 120mm or 240mm cooler (within reasonable price).
    Option 2. Change to an Air Cpu cooler (either noctua or be quiet!).
    Option 3. Don't change anything the ML120 it's okay for another few years.

If you choose option 1 or 2 let me know your thoughts guys on which brand and model you'd choose.

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I would check that there are thermal limits for that CPU and that PC shuts down if it exceeds those. How long it lasts depends on how many hours it's powered on/day. CM gives 70 000h life for this aio kit.

I once had CPU with high oc and custom watercooling loop, did some cable management and forgot to connect pump to PSU when I turned pc on. Was a scary moment but everything still worked after that... Just saying that if the pump dies in aio kit, it's not certain that it will cause damage to other parts.

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    That's an interesting topic, i have been in a similar situation than yours as i swapped AIO this september after 5 years.

First of all, i would wonder what the issue is or what the end goal is in changing your AIO: temperature aren't as good as they used to i assume? The pump most likely won't be the issue, after 5 years the problem i encountered is that there were not enough liquid inside the AIO anymore, as despite AIO being a close loop, liquid IS getting out slowly but surely.

Remember when you first installed your AIO and you can hear the liquid moving all around the pump and radiator when rotating your case?
    No more.

The radiator that used to spread heat all over ?
    Now it remains mostly cold under load except from a small portion of it close to where the liquid is entering/exiting.

Your CPU used to stay under 65°C under heavy load?
    Now it reaches 80°C.

My call: If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Hyderz and Passus like this.