Change in Policy - "Asking for free hardware thread"

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3

Indeed.. oh well no loss really. Much better forums out there with mods/admins who actually know what they are doing.

ttfn

2. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Nagasaki kamikaze? If you insult peeps im genral forums or pm's, the site owners can publish/ban at will imo.

3. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    There are heaps pf competitions going on at times at Guru3D, you could try to earn/win one competition a pick up a shiny new component.

Heck, even Bodar runs a few private LAN comps for new stuff, like GPUs, mobos etc.

4. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Hilbert I beg 4 u 2 give all ur bases so they belong to me!

But seriously, good show; this is Guru 3D not Beggerz 3D!! It was nice for people to help others out during the giving season, but like all things it has to come to an end.

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    Very good idea, was fun before christmas but it was getting out of hand since and yeah the threads we're getting weirder and weirder.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Nagasaki -- I hinted strongly in our PMs that if you disagree with us you should just leave these forums and move onwards to another one.

I just came back and noticed you decided to further escalate things with the behavious of a little kid really, as such I'm enforcing a ban now. Too bad, but best of luck. However this is not an attitude I want to see towards my staff from anyone.

7. PistolGripPump

PistolGripPump Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260 896MB
    and hes gone.

Anyways....I agree on the rule change and it was getting a bit out of hand.

8. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    I seem to have just about the oldest hardware on the forum, but I'm actually very proud of this system's tenacity. Even the XP Pro install is from december '04 lol. Still runs like a charm with a slight OC and regular cleanups.

9. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    An Intel 65nm E6X00 would make your eyes pop outta your head.

Combine that with a Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 for upgrading sake (AGP+PCIE, DDR+DDR2 DIMMs), and you're dreaming. I was in the same place you were. You will immediately notice the performance increase.

Bad luck, Nagasaki. I hope it's just a temp ban. :(

10. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    giving is good, straight up asking for stuff not offered is a no-no

11. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I agree with this. It's fine to be given hardware for free by some generous soul, but begging for it?

Just... don't.

12. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Wow, bad show Nagasaki.

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Out of curiosity, When Pill Monster helped that fellow and his ol lady to receive stuff from us kind people here, it was out of the kindness of his heart and the fellow didn't even ask did he? To me, that is awesome. It did make me sad to see people try to glomb onto that and beg for free stuff afterward like this was the place to go to just get stuff.

14. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Perhaps Guru's advertising freebies has helped bring the beggars out of the woodwork?

15. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD5450
    Great policy. Yeah it's sad that that Pillmonster and others who acted very kindly and generously are now being taken advantage of by leechers.

If the beggars want free stuff, why don't they just be a contest whore like me? lol A little effort goes a long way.

I have won almost an entire system now from the last 2 months and the money I saved will be spent on modding so I can have a system worthy of a Guru3D Rig submission (which has bonus prizes as well!).

16. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I have to say, I just noticed our newest member was Nagasaki24...what happened to the other 23? lol

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yeah, this is a good idea. The begging threads were getting stupid.

18. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Pillmonster did his thing because the guy in an unrelated thread, asked if he could overclock a pathetically ancient piece of hardware. The stated he could not upgrade because he could not afford it. That prompted Pillmonster to do what he did. Which was great.

Shortly after, people began making threads begging for free hardware, which is not cool.

Pill did what he did because the guru could not keep up with our standards, but was a good guy.

Nagasaki24 = perma ban if it's the same guy.

19. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    Rofl he gets banned and immediately creates a similar name? Bad move (if it's him)

20. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    Heyy Guru's lets get this thread back on track =]

I agree with this Policy 100%. I dont know about you guys but I never expect people to just give me free stuff if I beg or plead. I agree, people shouldnt be creating threads saying "Ow I have no money, can someone donate me a Graphics Card?" i think its just wrong.

But i see nothing wrong when donating hardware to a GOOD cause, by that I mean, donating hardware to people who havnt expected it. I have hardware laying around and one day I myself may decide to step in to help a guy out. TBH, if you want to donate hardware etc I would either say put it in the For Sale thread (as stated by the Godfather himself) or just leave it to PM i.e. donating hardware to someone who doesnt expect it as such.

These are my 2 cents as such.