Centralizing Entertainment

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by ShadowMyth, Oct 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I wasn't quite sure where to put this but my question is mainly focused on HDMI to Cat-6. Currently I'm working on a project to slowly create a centralized entertainment system, one room at a time. With the help of RAMElectronics.net I'm wiring my home as to be able to take a HTPC, audio receiver, & DVR from a central location & access it from most rooms. The DVR may just end up being accessed from the kitchen & living room as I can rent Fios boxes that allow access to the DVR over coax, though I'd like to skip the extra rental fees. Not every room will have access everything.

As we speak I'm currently wiring my kitchen with HDMI & or Cat-6(haven't made up my mind, it's the last thing to install), sound, & a 3.5mm connection I'll use for an IR sensor so I can change the channel & settings on my DVR & receiver remotely. The kitchen is also close enough to the HTPC to easily pick up my wireless mouse & keyboard, though I may add USB ports down the road.

The maximum cable length I'll ever need in 75 Ft. My question is has anyone had any experience with HDMI to Cat-6? Should I just stick with HDMI?

2. irfdude

irfdude Master Guru

GPU:
    8800 gts 320
    IMHO cat6 would be more flexible. But i'm not an expert. If you dont have any luck geting answers check out avforums, if you havent already, their website for home cinema has literally every scenario.

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    yeah, AVforums would definitly be the place to get good solid answers from experienced people.

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If you're running a Windows Media Center, you can buy media centre extenders (XBOX 360 is one) and just hook them up to individual TVs in your house. Thus, the Media Center will be a server that serves media content to the other TVs in your house. Standalone media centre extenders tend to come with wireless adapters built in so you don't need to route so many cables through your house.

deltatux

5. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Thanks for the responses, I took this thread for dead. :) I'll check out AVforums.

As far as media extenders, they are just too basic for what I want. For example in the kitchen I plan to pump sound & video in. With the addition of a touchscreen monitor I'll be easily able to access recipes via the Internet or on any PC, watch TV, & listen to music. I'm looking to basically put a small station in most rooms to access a central HTPC server or add a the ability to tap into it for rooms that will have a HDTV. I've done some research & it really isn't that expensive & quite easy to do.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010