Cemu and AMD cards performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by niczerus, Jun 21, 2017.

1. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    Hi people i buyed a msi rx580 and test cemu emulator (1.8.0) and i have 15 fps with a lot of shadows issues :banana: , but with my old nvidia 960 runs on 20 fps without issues , its for opengl drivers right? , amd never fix this right?.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Ask vase, I guess. He says his setup runs with full frames.

Or pray to whatever you hold dear that AMD gets money this quarter and improves their sh*tty OpenGL driver.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

AMD probably won't improve OpenGL much since it has been replaced with Vulkan.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    One fast question
    On what kind of GPU Dev. working on this Emu?
    Yes.....

TBH OGL is working OK, in Wolf NO/TOB with SweetFX and in 1440p.....
    You need to ask Dev. for share little Love for ATI also.

PS. When im reading about an 750Ti is faster than 280X then i rest my case :bang:

UPD.
    "Shame about Mario kart. I don't think we can put all the blame on AMD. All the other games work on AMD, so I think this could be a Cemu issue.

I'd love it if they added a Vulkan backend. Would make these kind of things go away.

Here's to hoping."

Try there:
    -> https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/6cyk77/cemu_180_and_amd_polaris_cards
    -> https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/

I have on my HDD almost all EMUs avaible (C64 also ;))
    One thing is that CEMU is Under construction so be patience....

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's the AMD driver Onna, not the developer. They work through Patreon and they get money to improve for both. The AMD OpenGL driver is simply slow, even slower than DX11.

6. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Doesn't help that OpenGL is fragmented like f*ck with vendor specific extensions as opposed to unified extensions (which OpenGL was originally supposed to be built around), this is how Vulkan will go as well, bet you any money on it.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It would need to be developed on AMD though. In that case, the code would naturally be written in such a way that it doesn't hit or trigger AMD's OpenGL slow paths. You write a piece of code, run it, you see it runs like arse, you change it until it runs fast.

This has always been the case in small development teams targeting OpenGL. Prime example is the Demoscene. Demos that were developed on AMD hardware ran very well on AMD and most of the time also on NVidia (even though they didn't develop on NVidia.) However, Demos developed on NVidia hardware would very, very often ran very badly on AMD.

The counter-argument to that has always been that AMD's GL implementation is more strict and more correct, while NVidia's implementation is very lax, allowing wrong or non-optimal use of the API, with the driver working around things, breaking standards-conformance to speed things up.

I have no idea whether that argument is valid or not.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    That's why i said we need to wait for Dev. to polish things Up.
    Yes i know that OGL for some is not Original OGL at all ;)

In the end we need to wait.
    Or we will have DX11.0 and 'OGL' until 2024 :bang: -> but you will need new H/W every year, like f. subscription :evilgrin:

PS.
    No need to dwell, I love New H/W and after all new API's and Free standards.

PS.2
    But this have an Bright side also :)
    Look -> ZEN aka ryZEN 8/16 for 300USD :banana: + :finger2:

So it's still hope for the changes at Dev. side....

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Perhaps extension related? Both AMD and Nvidia have a number of extensions for OpenGL and if the software is developed primarily on Nvidia then maybe AMD's extensions go unused?

Vulkan is also seeing some development here recently, AMD's public drivers still bundle runtime 1.0.39.1 but the SDK (Most recent 1.0.51.0) have a couple of AMD extensions now and of course also a few Nvidia ones.
    ( https://vulkan.lunarg.com/doc/sdk/1.0.51.0/windows/release_notes-1.0.html )

Vulkan is still heavily developed too and I guess even with OGL experience it would be a not insignificant amount of work to basically add a whole new API to CEMU and then actively support it and maintain feature parity, Dolphin recently dropped DX12 due to this since it was poorly maintained compared to Vulkan though it was technically functional but had seen little active development.

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm following the development of the emulator since the beginning, even before it exploded the way it has. AMD used not to be supported at all officially, since they don't support ARB 2015 features that NVIDIA does. The emulator is relying on them and other OpenGL extensions to effectively give Vulkan-like performance. AMD has more glitches with it, and much less performance because they don't multithread the driver the way NVIDIA does. This is like that for pretty much everything. If you look at Linux OpenGL performance, for example, you'll see that depending on the title, sometimes the Fury X is slower than a GTX 960.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    CEMU 1.8.1b is now available, fixes full CPU load on one thread & improves overall game compatibility

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    For Patreons I guess, right?

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Y

This new version of CEMU is currently available to all Patreon backers, and will be made available to the public next week.

I've covered the news in my corner :)

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah, public release is on the 30th. :)

http://cemu.info/patreon/changelog/cemu_1_8_1.txt

EDIT: Answered by OnnA above. :)

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Its a compound issue, its not so much that amd's driver is strict, its more that nvidia's driver patches many common mistakes on the fly extremely well , and amds driver is slow on top of that (high overhead).