Cellphone Signal Boosters

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by seether123, Mar 22, 2006.

1. seether123

seether123 Active Member

Hello everybody, I just bouth a new cellphone, its a Motorola SLVR L7, and I'm really happy with it.

I get great reception and calls sound really crips and clean.... outdoors.

I dont know why but I just cant get my cellphone to get some signal inside my house, looks like i live in a bunker or something.

A friend recommended me these:

[​IMG]

They are like stickers you stick in the back of the cellphone and magicaly you'll get like 2 more signal bars.

Just looked up for them on ebay, man, theyre cheap, 10 of these for 1 dollar.
    But the question here is, do they actually work?

I mean, I only need to improve signal indoors, outside its great, and they're really cheap, so thats why im asking, has anybody of you tried these?.

Cheers

2. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Its interesting, do they have a name?
    Enough time with google will find you the answer.

3. r3g

r3g Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270x
    thats nice... saw something like that on tv like 2 years ago but it prolly didnt work

4. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    my friend uses them and he says his reception is better, but i seriously doubt it. seems more like the placebo effect. last time i searched online, i got the general opinion that it did not help at all. though there are always those reviews which the guy claims he can get a signal in the underground subways with the boosters. lol.

i think ppl buy them because they're just so cheap so hey, why not?

i wouldn't bother.

5. jugsta

jugsta Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GS AGP
    I purchased my Asrock Sata Dual from Partspc.com and they sent me one of these. I gave it to my mother. Don't know if it works or not.

^pointless post^

6. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    It *should* work according to the laws of physics but apparently reviews said that in practice, these don't work.

To quote one review:
    "If it were so simple to boost the reception then why don't cell-phone manufacturers do the same thing themselves?"

7. ASmokerz

ASmokerz Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 9800 PRO @ 405/715
    Totally agree LOL

8. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6600GT top <- Smoken fast
    it might work if it was physically connected to the cell antenna

9. Robbie Man

Robbie Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950GT 512mb
    what service do you have? I had the same problem with my cell (i didnt get reception good in my apartment) and i just took it in to a "verison shop" here in town and they "tunned" better reception. and it worked too. Id say if they are that cheap go for it bro, you got nothing to lose..only a buck.

10. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    I have a nokia 6180 that I got for free when I signed with AT&T, now Cingular Wireless, 2 years ago that works incredibly well. I had the motorola VX(something or other). Brand new, didn't even get close to the QoS of the nokia. BTW, it's the nokia with the fold out keyboard. Best free item I've ever had. Cingular "forced" me into buying that crappy motorola because they said I couldn't use an AT&T phone. Just for everyone's information, you can make every phone multi-provider. If you're getting bad service in your house, call up your provider and complain. A lot.

I've also heard that those stickers are junk. They were on the HSN or QVC years ago. Anything on those channels is garbage at a premium price.

11. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I got 2 of these free when i got my phone case of ebay, and it didnt make an ounce of difference.

MATT

12. Phalkon30

Phalkon30 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 GT @ 420x1175 /water
    I honestly hope you didn't pay money for that. You got had. The only thing they could do to "tune" your cell phone is update it with the latest list of towers in the area. You can easily do this yourself by dialing a number. Its like #58 (don't know the exact number) for us cellular. Call your service provider and ask them if you have a similar service. Its usually a free call.

You're not getting that great of reception indoors because the signal can't travel as well through objects. You probably won't be able to help this unless you move.

13. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    Short of a powered amp inline from the antenna, you would need something connected to the antenna to make the electrical length the same size as the Wavelength of the signal you are receiving or use 1/2 wavelength.

1900 MHz roughly has a wavelength of 15.77 cm - that would be the optimum electrical length for your antenna.

14. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    So the phone with internal antennas theoretically should suck right?

15. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6600GT top <- Smoken fast
    no. it depends on how it is made and what frequencies/powers the phone operates at

16. Phalkon30

Phalkon30 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 GT @ 420x1175 /water
    I wanted to elaborate on my last post. If you dial *228 with a USCellular phone (and I assume other carriers) it updates the list of towers. This can greatly increase your signal strength if done about once a month. Its a airtime free call for me and takes less than a minute. I had the number wrong above.

17. cepher2101

cepher2101 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7900gs KO
    I go to middle-of-nowhere maine every summer...beautiful place.

I bring my smell phone every time. Verizon had a "tower-on-the-ocean" and so did the regular GSM providers. But the difference was signal strength. At the time, I used verizon, and it'd work inside my cabin. The GSM wouldn't. I had to go outside to use my friend's phone.

I did research on this: First off, the cell towers are phissically shaped like a triangle, and have coverage zones consisting of triangles and hexagons. These are called, of course, cells. As it happened, both of the on-land cell towers for cdma *verizon* were closer on a mountain peak than the gsm cell towers. There was an imaginary cell on the ocean creating a coverage fade.
    That was reason one of the bunker-outdoor reception only effect.

Now the second reason was a just as practical. CDMA uses a frequency that is more robust, and is harder to dampen. The typical GSM 850/1900mhz in the us is very high, and is easy to dampen. Thats why my current provider now, Cingular, works only outside my house. My house dampens the signal way too much. Only in total immersion of cell towers with a super-strong signal will GSM work within these bunker-effect dead zones.

edit: to this aritcle to make sense, you must picture that in the place I stayed in maine, I was right on the atlantic, with the peaks of the appalacian behind me. There were two towers on mountain peaks, and imaginaries on the ocean.

18. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    Regarding those "stickers": I read an article on...CNN, I think, from researchers who exposed it as a total scam. There is no boost, it's completely useless.

19. Sylvestre2006

Sylvestre2006 New Member

Fractal Cell Phone Antenna Boosters

Those little bitty "antenna boosters" are called "fractal antennas". They probably do resonate pretty well with the microwave cell frequencies...but the thing is that the extra "resonation" must pass through the plastic and into the cellphone by electromagnetic INDUCTION (where most of the boost signal strength is already lost going through the plastic and trying to induct (imprecisely), into the cell's circuitry. Radio Frequency energies (especially at high frequencies), tend to have very very short "jump" spaces. It would be better to physically attach the fractal antenna booster "sticker", (say, through a 0.06 picofarad ceramic capacitor, and then directly connect the other end of the capacitor to the regular antenna of the cellphone). That might work much better.:)

20. TheGr81

TheGr81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon HD 7870 OC
    hahaha... I tried one of those once when I had Sprint PCS which was total crap. These things are a complete scam.

I now have Verizon and it is like night and day compared to Sprint.