CD Projekt RED Announces Cyberpunk

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 30, 2012.

1. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Maybe you did? I went to university.

Gender and sex are not the same thing.

Gender is a social construct.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_construction_of_gender

fantaskarsef and slick3 like this.
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW

drandiiski likes this.
  3. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Aren't you guys, sort of, agreeing with one another?

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Who cares about university and/or any social construct. Wannabe educated people decided to remove father and mother families and officially support parent #1 and parent #2 SJW ideals.

And yes, even if I play female I would thing my self as a woman, or a male I would think myself as I am now. I do not want futanary, Trans, hermaphrodite, etc. Even if it was a monster or alien or angel race, I would demand a male or female gender identities. You will not ruin little humans the history of million years for your anomalies and whatever insecurities you have.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    No, we're not.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I agree that gender and sex are not the same thing, but gender is definitely not just a social construct. There are some aspects of gender that are social constructed and differ from society to society, and time to time, but there are also many that are apparently universal as well.

For example, since time immemorial, men have always exhibited by far the most violent and destructive behaviors in Civilization. It is universal across all times and places, and it's not by coincidence. The same goes for men creating and protecting Civilization via laws and law enforcement.

Hence the ancient good guys vs bad guys trope. There are many others, but that one in particular is quite notable.

Also, trans behavior is an anomaly. Less than 1% of the human species are trans. The vast majority of the human species are quite comfortable in their bodies whether they are male or female, and also exhibit behavior patterns consistent with their perceived biological sex.

warlord likes this.
  7. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Minorities have human rights and overwhelm gaming industry after social media and global entertainment leader Netflix. I wonder my own rights, normal people have been abandoned. :confused:

8. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    @Carfax

Gender is a complex thing, and people will almost inevitably get it wrong if they try to simplify it in binary format as they would with 'sex'. Gender is different from sex; and I would say it is mainly a social construct.

I agree that males are predominantly more aggressive than females, they are biologically predisposed to be more aggressive; but I don't see how it explains that gender is not just a social construct.

When speaking in terms of behaviour, sex should be the main topic of conversation as there is a biological root that needs to be addressed. When speaking in terms of identities, gender should because it address the cultural phenomenon.

Let me know what you think.

9. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    There are obviously many biological and chemical differences between males and females. Males are programmed by nature to "spread their seed" and thus why a lot of guys are players. Women have a finite amount of reproductive capabilities, hence why they're more selective about partners and why they tend to be more monogamous. There's nothing like having a gender and sex discussion in a classroom full of 100 or so persons in a university setting. It really opens your mind and shows you that things aren't black and white or binary. It's really a spectrum. There's countless essays on it if you're interested in being enlightened.

Biology determines a lot about a person, but not everything. There's still a sizable portion that's determined by countless other factors like environment, upbringing, and self-identity to name a few.

Back on topic though...I don't see how removing an option that pre-selects attributes that creates males and females really changes anything. Just build yourself a male character. I'll probably build a trans female character because it'll be possible. Play as you want...be free man! Don't live in a box.

10. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Can we have signatures on this forum, I want this quote to be mine, lol.

So will we have a menu for genitalia in the character creation setting? I'd like my character to have 3 dongs, one ball and 5 boobs of varying sizes and suppleness.

KissSh0t likes this.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Now this is a person with class.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I agree that gender is complex, but I wouldn't say it's mainly a social construct or biological. It's a combination of both.

Gender isn't just about identification, it also encompasses behavior patterns, roles and norms. Just because someone identifies as a man or woman, does not make them so. Even trans people understand this, which is why they start taking hormones and adopting the behavior, mannerisms and appearance of their preferred gender identity. Men have always consistently been more violent and aggressive than women when viewed as a group, regardless of time and place. If gender were purely a social construct, then surely there would not be such a lopsided juxtaposition.

Definition of gender

sertopico likes this.
  13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I never said or even implied that biology determines everything. I was just responding directly to your statement, "Gender is a social construct." To me it's much more nuanced than that, as I've explained above and given examples.

I agree. As I said before, I actually think it's a good decision on CDPR's part to implement this. Mainly because it fits with the overall theme of the setting, that humans have transcended the limitations of their flesh by embracing technology.

14. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    Regarding this very complex theme I would suggest reading a publication from R. Gilchrist called "The Archaeology of sex and gender" (2009). It gives an insight on this subject and sums up the various schools of thought which formed in the past decades. There is so much literature about it, some of it is definitely worth reading to get an idea of what gender is.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    So you're offended because you can't just click "male" but have to choose the body type "male"? That's really, really not an issue.

And here we are again, anti-SJW whining filling pages of threads.
    Don't get me wrong, you guys are all entitled your own opinion on things, but I'm actually tired of reading it all over again. The outrage is fake and useless... if people want to skip the game because of this, feel free, and leave the thread, please. Since you obviously are no longer interested. Everything else is just pissing on other people's parade.

16. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I am actually interested in seeing how far this will go. As in: How much will society be forced to bend over backwards to foster the insecurities of 0,x%. Now it's just the entertainment industry, but it will obviously not stop there.

cerebus23 likes this.
  17. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    Define "insecurities", please, I am curious.

18. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I go with the Oxford definition of insecurity: the "uncertainty or anxiety about oneself". Seeing how now certain people don't necessarily suffer from the medical condition of being born into the wrong body (to put it bluntly), and simply feel as something else, I wonder how far will the rest of the world will have to cater& foster these insecurities, instead of helping overcome them.

cerebus23 likes this.
  19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I won't even start to argue with you since your own statement is lacking logical coherence and could be picked apart so easily I wonder if have ever had a proper discussion with arguments, logic and all of that.

Also I'm out of this thread since, well, it sucks after the anti-SJW party has taken it over. Good riddance.

20. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    From what I take he is referring to RealNC's rant on the whole anti SJW thing. That is really, really pathetic I must say. Who cares if it is male, female or "non-binary". I just want to play the game.

If the game doesn't label genders as neither male or female - then just use your imagination and say to yourself "My character is male". Gaming requires imagination at times and that is the beauty of it.

Boycotting a game because of your own insecurities/political views is just hilarious. Truly. Cannot believe the gaming world has come to this.

Reminds me of Mordhau saying they were playing with the idea of adding the option to have female characters and the community saying they will stop playing as it's "unrealistic".

Oh boy.