1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Projekt RED Announces Cyberpunk

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 30, 2012.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well bioshock was very good but the hype did make it feel a tad underwhelming?

i was still trying to self mange hype and all that back then and not nearly as good at it, i was pretty excited for bioshock too excited. very great game but the hype did mar it at release for me.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    BioShock also falls apart after the big "twist" moment about 2/3s of the way through the game. The last third of the game just feels hollow and empty.

Also, a lot of fans were disappointed after BioShock was heavily advertised as a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2. And, early alpha gameplay footage showed more depth, slower gameplay. And then the final game is basically just a shooter, with very lite Shock elements.

3. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Really!? The game in which you can find ammo in the picnic basket?? Some people who wen't to vacation left a little bit of ammo in the picnic basket, just for you.
    Revolution!

4. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Splicers man! They’ve lost their minds!

5. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    No, i refer to the latest BioShit. There were no splicers in that game. But entire series is full of the same nonsense.

6. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I'm referring to BioShock. The original.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    To me it was a disappointment. I expected something like System Shock, what I got was a dumbed down console FPS.

8. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I hadn't played many RPGs and BioShock was the first "shock" game I ever played. Guess I came at it from a FPS angle, having played mostly shooters. Skyrim was my first real RPG. That had a steep learning curve at the time. The first 20 hours were...frustrating but rewarding.

I think Cyberpunk 2077 will bring a lot of FPS fans into their first RPG game. If that happens, expectations for future shooters will change, much in the same way that shooters changed after BioShock was released and hit critical acclaim. There will always be people disappointed with games because of their expectations. It was true for BioShock and it'll be true for Cyberpunk 2077.

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    so the E3 demo, running on the RTX Titan, was only at 1080p.

New card time :p

jura11 and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti

So am I.
    The first BioShock is good, but really overrated. BioShock 2 is the best one in the series.

11. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    BioShock Infinite for me. The ending had me f**ked up lmao

12. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Agree to disagree.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I know I'm on the minority, and I'm fine with that.
    I really like BioShock, just disappointed it opted for more of a straight forward shooter then the RPG elements that inspired it.
    Also... the pacing of the campaign completely falls apart in the last third.

14. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    The first BioShock has a better story and is more grounded. BioShock 2 just has splicers on steroids. It does have a nice ending though. BioShock Infinite was also great for its time, even if it wasn't quite as impressive as what they showed at E3. Still a fantastic game that turned BioShock into a steampunk arcade shooter. I might just have to play through it again for like...the 5th time lol.

I feel I'll need a new GPU for Cyberpunk 2077 to run it at 4K without RTX. If Nvidia can release a 3080 Ti with 35% more performance and 2.5X RT cores, RTX can be free and should finally run at 4K without dropping frames in half.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you're arguing over subjective points now.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    BioShock has a great story, until the twist. After that, it just feels kind of lost and hollow. Almost lost. As if they didn't really know what to do after the twist.
    And, it ends with a whimper, a pathetic boss fight that doesn't fit the game's themes and tone.

BioShock 2 featured a better, more personal story. Better pacing and character development throughout.
    Also, improved gamepaly, combat.
    Of course, this is all personal opinion. And I don't care if others don't see BS2 as well as I do, I love it. And that's what matters.

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    When you take into account World density and detail, Cyberpunk 2077 has perhaps the most impressive graphics of any soon to be released title, with the possible exception of Star Citizen and Squadron 42. Except that unlike Star Citizen and Squadron 42, CBP 2077 will be released on current gen consoles.

Although CDPR hasn't (at least not to my knowledge) detailed their engine improvements for Red Engine 4 which will power CBP 2077, they must be substantial indeed because even to my untrained eyes, there is a very tangible leap in animation quality, lighting, geometry, amount of systems, simulation, NPC density etc when compared to the Witcher 3. As to how that translates to performance, that's another matter entirely.

Which begs the question. If the Witcher 3 was substantially downgraded (and it was) from the pre-release demos, how will a much bigger and more complex game like CBP 2077 fare in comparison?

OK to be fair, things have likely changed over the years. As I mentioned, Red Engine 4 has likely seen a very healthy amount of improvements over the Red Engine 3 which was used in the Witcher 3, some of which will hopefully make the assets more scalable and the engine more performant.

Asset scalability was perhaps the biggest problem with the Witcher 3, and contributed to the sense of being downgraded more than anything. This was especially notable when it came to inorganic structures like buildings. The PC used the exact same draw distance and polygon count for buildings as the console versions, despite having longer draw distances for shadows and vegetation. The reason why CDPR did this was because they used a third party draw distance scaling program called Simplygon, as Red engine 3.0 itself was unable to scale the LoD and draw distance appropriately from in game.

My hope is that Red Engine 4 rectifies that mistake, and enables settings that affect LoD and draw distance for more powerful machines. It's also basically confirmed that CBP 2077 will be a DX12 title, due to the inclusion of DXR. I just hope their DX12 implementation is a good one, and that they don't waste time trying to implement a DX11 path.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  18. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970 SC
    i can't find anything similar comparing BioShock and System Shock. only the word Shock for me :)

played both several times, loved both. i think the first BioShock was the best of em, second and Infinite
    are on the same level as i see it. System Shock 2 is in my #top10 of all time on PC.

anyway something that made me think about Cyberpunk.. well it's not really an issue but still..
    i think il have to upgrade my PC on its release. might get a new RYZEN with some newer GPU.

looks like it will be a demanding game with replay value..i sure hope so :)

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    How cool would it be if anyone ever figured out a way to use procedural generation to make an entire city with each building having insides that you can explore and for that city to be populated with AI that all does it's own things, has their own schedules and lives and needs and wants.... that to me would be a cool game.

XenthorX likes this.
  20. sertopico

sertopico Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    That would be really boring! :D

Maybe in the next Jeovah's Witnesses Simulator.