1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catalyst won't recognize HD5770 anymore Need Help! (FIXED)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Someguy31234, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Someguy31234

Someguy31234 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5770
    Created an account on here in hopes some experts could help me fix this issue:

I've practically tried everything I can think of and researched. Browsed a lot of threads on this forum and on AMD forums. I followed guides for clean uninstalling and reinstalling. (I used DDU in safe mode, AMD clean up utility, ran ccleaner etc...) Catalyst IS NOT showing graphics card options or recognizing my card but it installs fine...? I've tried three different versions of Catalyst...?

System is Windows 7 64 bit. GPU is Sapphire Radeon HD5770. One day resolution got really low after I thought of updating display driver from 14.12 Omega (Been working fine for years.) to whats listed on AMD's site as last stable version 15.7 (If i remember correctly.) Didn't take, so tried installing Crimson Beta for the kicks, didn't work either. So I did a system restore after trying reverting back to what I had 14.12 and the restore worked...For a little while.

Same thing happened again after a few days, started researching. Uninstalled drivers again using Revo Uninstaller, it cleaned up registry files and folders. Booted into safe mode, used DDU, restarted, checked ALL Windows updates and installed everything it wanted me to. (There was an ATI HD5700 driver it installed along with about 40 other updates.) THEN I restarted again. Installed 14.2 Omega for windows 7 64 bit systems (Which I downloaded from Sapphires official site this time after trying AMD's version) STILL nothing.

Device manager recognizes my HD5700. I tried to "Update Driver" via device manager, windows said "Most up to date version already installed" So no go there...HWMonitor detects my card and I can game on 1080p and HWMonitor shows my GPU clocks increasing, and temps heating up as usual when gaming. BIOS is set to PCI-E. I can use my HDMI cable it works but displayport cable doesn't (No input detected message.)

Anyway WHAT is going on? What else can I try? Is my card bad in some way? If so how can I be gaming with it? I've even tried a fresh windows installation and that didn't work! I've tried other PCI-E slot as well. I've tried reseating it multiple times.

There was a few issues when I ran the SFC scan tool thing but it seemed related to CPU. It said:

"Cannot repair member file [l:34{17}]"pkeyconfig.xrm-ms" of Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP-Component-PkeyConfig, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch"

Also I installed Rapid Environment viewer and it showed a registry error also. Here are some screenshots I hope it can help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    AMD Catalyst Software Suite - Omega(14.12) this is the Sapphire driver version from their website and the latest BIOS for that card is V3.95.
    Things that may help -what specifications your computer has.
    Things that I would try firsthand:
    Check visually if there is something wrong with the card, missing small capacitors located close to the PCI-E connector (i had many of those, generally people yanks components, just saying);
    Check if the PCI-E has dust/dirt inside, cleaning with canned air or very very gentle with a soft brush, but hey-very gentle;
    Check if the motherboard has the latest BIOS also;
    If the motherboard has UEFI, your VGA only supports motherboards with BIOS;
    Check if the card is overheating, by touching it, sensors are never to be trusted 100%;
    Use Driver Easy to detect, locate and install the latest driver for your VGA, just for the kicks;
    Try installing another Windows version. 8.1 or 10 ;
    Also, it never hurts to make a bootable Linux USB thumb drive and boot your computer from it, and check if the VGA is properly detected by using these commands :
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA

or more advanced one
    Code:
    sudo update-pciids #optional command, requires internet
    lspci -nn | grep -E 'VGA|Display'

3. Someguy31234

Someguy31234 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5770
    Wow thank you for all the insight. I have upgraded my MOBO BIOS successfuly to the latest version offered. Board is a ASUS M4A87TD EVO. It is not UEFI just the standard old BIOS.

How do I check VGA BIOS version? Just install Driver Easy? Also, I have visually inspected the card and all capacitors it all looks good. I have also thoroughly cleaned it. But now I feel like I should check again. Should I take the heat sink off to get a better look? Maybe apply some new thermal paste to it if I take it off? It has a large plastic cover over most of the board so its hard to get a good look.

There DOES appear to be slight oxidation around some solder joints though....Can this be cleaned off or be a problem?

I'll try installing windows 10 on a secondary drive but I read that some old MOBOs aren't compatible with it. Guess its worth a shot though but first I'd like to check BIOS of VGA if I can, and maybe upgrade any drivers that I can related to it.

In device manager, I have an AMD SMBus that says "No drivers are installed for this device." But it shows a driver version of 5.12.0.31 dated 1/18/2015. This a possible issue?

Also, I did manually install new version of Pci Bus drivers via device manager.That version is dated 2/12/2015 version: 15.20.0.0

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    Installing Driver Easy was/is just for updating all your computer drivers, in order to isolate the driver issue. Or to solve it.
    The VGA BIOS should be available using GPU-Z, but that implies that your card is properly detected. Hmm, kind of a bummer...normally when i have such issues I boot the computer in Linux and have my way with it. For me it is issuing the command
    Code:
    dmidecode
    or
    Code:
    inxi -F
    About that oxidation part, take a good picture, show us, maybe there is more to it - don't assume it's nothing.
    Well, you can also try to put the video card into another computer, or use a different motherboard, yours or from a friend. Maybe there is something going on with your motherboard, never assume that a component more than 2-3 years old is 100% ok.

5. Someguy31234

Someguy31234 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5770
    I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally! Here is what I did:

After reading this thread here (Which saved my bacon):
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a...bus-driver-requires-manually-updating.373501/

I noticed that I DID have the old 3GIO driver in device manager. And when I tried to update Catalyst manually to newer version, this must have been why I kept getting the "Windows has determined current driver is latest version" or whatever message. So I could never update it. So I DID update that 3GIO driver to Pci Bus then tried installing Catalyst again but this is what I did wrong: I tried installing via the .EXE install file. And after that didn't work I kind of just gave up.

BUT what did work is going into Device Manager, and updating the drivers for my 5700 manually and it worked! I browsed to the downloaded file of 15.2 and Windows finally took it! :D

So if it helps anybody out there: Make sure you have the Pci Bus driver installed under System Devices in Device Manager before trying to install newer version of Catalyst (That thread has the instructions.) After that is updated, manually install the Catalyst version you've selected.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    Glad that you have it sorted out! Enjoy!