Catalyst Control Center 12.4 and Application Profiles install problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RegisTraiter, May 29, 2012.

1. RegisTraiter

RegisTraiter New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7950
    Hello Everyone, I have 2 issues that I cannot resolve no matter what I try.

Issue 1: Catalyst Control Center 12.4 upgrade.

I attempted to install 12.4 several times, and according to Device Manager, correct driver version is in place (which is good). However, Catalyst Control Center remains at version 12.3.

I tried: Uninstalling the entire ATI package, or uninstalling just CCC. If I uninstall CCC either way, the installer subsequently acknowledges that CCC is not present, and promptly installs version 12.3.:bang::bang::bang: At least it's what is showing in the "Information -> Software" section of CCC, and it prompts for a 12.4 update if I run an update check. Which I have tried, and it did not do jack.

I am using 12-4_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe downloaded from the ATI site. I re-downloaded several times just to be sure. My system is functional, but the fact that I cannot upgrade to 12.4 is maddening.

Issue 2. Application Profile installation.

I downloaded the amd_catalyst_12.4_cap2.exe from ATI site (several times), and attempted to install it. Every time, the install hangs at "Installing application profiles". Progress meter is empty and it just sits there for hours.

I have tried everything I could and searched everywhere! Please help me!

2. ipredator

ipredator Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Dude, 12.4 is bugged. It does sometimes not apply its versioning number, BUT it installed fine.
    Check the D3D and OpenGL informations in the Catalyst Control Center. If they show up newer than 12.3, the driver is installed fine, even though it shows as "12.3". Don't give a damn about the versioning number then. What matters are the OpenGL and D3D numbers. You can edit the "12.3" into "12.4" in the registry yourself if you really want to.
    Beta drivers often have no "12.number" at all, hence they are called "12.x" in the stickies.

Edit: Also welcome to Guru3D :)

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  3. RegisTraiter

RegisTraiter New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7950
    Didn't know about the bug, thank you. I checked all versions against http://developer.amd.com/download/ccc/pages/default.aspx and looks like I am on 12.4 despite what CCC says.

Now it would be nice to sort out the application profile problems. I tried older Application Profile installers as well as the latest one, and results are the same, installer starts and then hangs at the very beginning. I can unpack the installer manually and inside I have the files:

appprofiles.reg
    atiapf55.blb
    atiapfxx.blb
    atiapfxx.exe
    Version.dll

However I suspect there's more to installing the profiles than just simply placing these files into C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\Application Profiles?

4. ipredator

ipredator Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Do you currently have any CAP's installed? Check in the installed software section of windows. If so, uninstall them, reboot and try to install your new ones.

Other than this, I don't know, CAP installations always worked for me. Need to pass :p

5. RegisTraiter

RegisTraiter New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7950
    No, don't have any CAPs installed.

This is disheartening. :wanker: :puke2: :bang:

Maybe someone else knows?

6. Ripshod

Ripshod Active Member

GPU:
    HIS HD7950 FAN 3GB
    @OP
    are you actually running two cards in crossfire, cos thats what the CAPs are for!!

7. RegisTraiter

RegisTraiter New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7950
    No... just one card.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    They are also for single cards. :)

9. Ripshod

Ripshod Active Member

GPU:
    HIS HD7950 FAN 3GB
    *deleted*

I stand corrected. I always thought the opposite. We're all learning all the time :D

*additional*

Just installed the CAPs on mine. How do you know they've installed? I can't find em

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  10. RegisTraiter

RegisTraiter New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7950
    Do CAPs buy me any advantage that I cannot get by manipulating controls in CCC?

And since we're on the subject of CCC, I am messing around with the Overdrive. One thing I noticed is that if I turn on Manual Fan Control and set the fanspeed manually, that setting applies whether I'm running heavy 3D or just work on the desktop.

Any way to make the higher fan speed kick in ONLY when I am gaming? It's not a big deal to set it from CCC each time before I start a game (and so far the only one that demanded it was The Witcher 2 with Ubersampling on).

11. Portal2Two

Portal2Two Banned

GPU:
    AMD 6970

Yes, the advantages are at driver level.
    ------------------------------------------

My Cat. info says it's 12.4. If you need, reinstall Catalyst this way:

1. add/remove/programs and features

2. clear with driver sweeper

3. delete Standard VGA from device manager (to get rid completely of former drivers, important). Reboot and let it automatically reinstall.

4. Reboot and install Catalyst.

12. lenne

lenne Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    Tried installing caps as admin ?

13. TorrentG

TorrentG Banned

GPU:
    HIS AGP 3850 Turbo IceQ3
    ATI Tray Tools. Whenever 3d mode is detected as turned off, it can be set to remove any overclocking and/or fan speed.

You can setup profiles; the whole nine.

As for reinstalling the driver while trying to alleviate problems: Sweeper in safe mode, then simply reboot and install latest driver by running setup.exe.