Catalyst AA Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bastek571

bastek571 New Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming
    Hi there, have a few questions:
    1) It it written "Works with AA" (about Edge Detect). What does it mean? It woks only with Adaptive AA? It won't work with SSAA? And another question, as I'm a new Radeon user, 2) what are the setting for best quality in CCC? I currently use:

Enhance app settings -> Supersampling ->Edge Detect->Morph.Filtering OFF
    Anisotroping -> Use app. settings -> Texture filtering High Quality ->Surface Format optimalization ON
    V-sync ON -> Triple buffering ON
    Tessellation -> Use App. Settings

I'm pretty confused with this all....if I set "app. control" and "supersampling" it will work or not? I thought app. control is app. control but in the first post it is written "Use application settings mode is the default setting and allows the application to control antialiasing settings. This mode does, however, allow for one other driver based antialiasing technique to be applied alongside whichever application antialiasing settings might be in use. Known as edge detect antialiasing, this antialiasing technique can be enabled from the filter drop-down menu." So I assume even with App. control setting it does make a difference if it's MSAA or SSAA (and I thought there shouldn't be) I had default settings at start but I had a strange feeling that image quality was worse than on my previous GTX 660. Oh, btw I reinstalled OS, so it's "clean" installation of drivers etc. Dunno if it's important. I just felt like I need to write this one. Huh. Thanks for help anyway, I feel kinda lost.
    I know that SSAA is the best and Edge is better than Standard, so 3rd question about AA : app.control , enhance or override?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Looks like you have it set to max quality (SSAA and edge detect filter)

Edge detect is a filter, it just changes the sample patern that AA uses.

Boy, are you gonna get a frame hit for that though.

lol

Set as app controlled, if the app doesn't use AA, its not going to turn on. I usually just set for override and turn off any AA in-game.

Enhance adds extra coverage samples to whatever AA method the gameis using, so theoretically its better quality, however you are going to take another frame rate hit for using it. Similr to EQAA and Override.

3. bastek571

bastek571 New Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming
    Looks more complicated than Nvidia's stuff.... and what should I do to leave ALL in app's control? I mean if AA is app-controled does it make a difference if I select Supersampling or Multisampling? Or Edge Detect vs Standard? What I mean is that app control should be app control but after reading this guide I understand that even with app control it makes a difference if I select Supersampling or Multisampling. My tiny brain is like my gpu now.... over 95°C

4. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Its not that complicated, just different is all, you get better granular control.

The app will only turn it on or off, you control the type (SSAA, AAA, MSAA) you need to select that yourself based on your preference.

I usually leave it on Adaptive, and edge detect.

If Adaptive doesnt work, then ill try SSAA, if there is too much of a FPS hit, then ill put it on MSAA.

Same with edge detect vs standard (box)

5. bastek571

bastek571 New Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming
    I see...so 1) edge detect will work with supersampling? and that is combination for the best quality? (enhance app settings : supersampling + edge detect)
    and 2) you said
    "If Adaptive doesnt work, then ill try SSAA, if there is too much of a FPS hit, then ill put it on MSAA."
    what if I have selected SSAA only and it doesn't work? The app's using it's own AA method?

6. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i believe edge detect only works with msaa, as SSAA is basically full screen, so its not needed.

check the compatibility list in the second post.

some modes work with some games, some dont.

Usually if it doesnt work it means the game is using a deferred render engine, and you wont be able to use override. You see that mostly in DX10, and DX11 games.

7. bastek571

bastek571 New Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming
    so if enhancing doesn't work the quality won't be worse, just the game settings will be used?

and does it matter if I select MSAA or SSAA in CCC while "App control" is set?

oh and what about surface optimalization? on or off for quality?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  8. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    correct.

it does matter, as that determines what AA type will be used, but again not all types work with all games. This isnt unique to AMD, Nvidia has the same problems.

If you want even more control, grab Radeon Pro. It adds Tripple Buffering for DX (the one in CCC is only for OGL), Dynamic Vsync, SMAA, SweetFx, much more robust game profiling, and a whole bunch of other quality tweaks CCC doesnt expose.

optimizations are a bit qualitative. but in general, on for speed, off for quality. I dont notice any difference myself, so i just leave it on.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. bastek571

bastek571 New Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming
    I guess I'll stick to app.control -> ssaa -> standard (as you said there's no need to use edge detect with ssaa) and that's all. I don't wanna mess sth up.
    Thanks for your help. I guess I have to get used to being a Radeon user :) ... and buy new cpu. I have a feeling that i5 3350p is bottlenecking my card.

10. Osjur

Osjur Member

GPU:
    Radeon Fury X
    First, I must thank you BlackZero, for bringing up this guide. There really isn't that many AA guides laying around for AMD cards.
    Too bad AMD corner isn't that lively compared Nvidia and we don't have proper list of working AA bits to use with RadeonPro like they have over the fence :cry:

In any case, I have noticed that some of the information in your original post is wrong. The one that got my interest is this little sentence:
    "Furthermore, enhance application settings mode must be enabled before driver based antialiasing methods such as supersampling or adaptive antialiasing can be applied to DX10 or DX11 applications."

Now, I don't know where this misinformation stems from but that is not true. You don't need to use "Enhance application settings" in "most" cases if you want to use Adaptive or Supersampling AA in DX10+ applications with 7xxx and 2xx series cards, if that game supports normal MSAA levels.
    In fact, if you use that setting, which also enables EQAA: It can hamper your performance big time because from my limited (or maybe not so limited) testing has shown me that enabling that option with Adaptive AA can have same kind of performance hit compared to using pure SSAA.

Here are some screenshots from BF4 (Ultra, No Post-AA) using different AA settings from CCC and DX11 Code Path; these do work with Mantle as well. 4x AA is set from in-game settings page.
    Sorry if they are pretty big in size, didn't want to lose any detail.

BF4 No AA:
    [​IMG]

BF4 4xMSAA:
    [​IMG]

BF4 4xAdaptive AA:
    [​IMG]

BF4 4xSSAA:
    [​IMG]

BF4 4xEQMSAA (Enhance application settings):
    [​IMG]

BF4 4xEQ Adaptive AA (Enhance application settings):
    [​IMG]

BF4 4xEQSSAA (Enhance application settings):
    [​IMG]

BF4 4xEDMSAA:
    [​IMG]

BF4 4xED Adaptive AA:
    [​IMG]

BF4 4xEQEDMSAA (Enhance application settings):
    [​IMG]

BF4 4xEQED Adaptive AA (Enhance application settings):
    [​IMG]

And finally just for giggles, what does this make it in numbers? 24x Supersampling AA?
    BF4 4xEQEDSSAA
    [​IMG]
    And ofc it doesn't work. Only EQ Filter gets applied so nothing to see here.

So which one wins? My opinion:
    4x Adaptive AA is the winner in terms of IQ vs Perf. hit.
    4x ED Adaptive AA comes in second because the performance hit is really small compared to 4x Adaptive AA and it actually increases IQ just a tiny bit in my eyes.

EQAA (Enhance application settings) in all forms: no noticeable IQ increase and performance hit is pretty big when used with Adaptive AA modes. They could just remove this mode because I really haven't seen a game where this mode brings something to the table. Maybe it works better when using 2x AA modes...

4xSSAA & 4xEQSSAA: Meh, same quality compared to 4x Adaptive AA with quite big perf. hit.

4xEQEDSSAA: as can be seen, ED doesn't get applied because it doesn't support SSAA so this is only EQSSAA.

SSAA doesn't even seem to do that good of a job in this game and I hate that blur which usually comes with it, so Adaptive AA is the way to go in most games in my case.

Just my 2cents :smoke:

EDIT: Added Edge-Detect AA modes. Every mode from CCC is now covered.
    Ofc not counting FXAA, MLAA and all those horrible blur monsters which should just die in big fire :rpg:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Thank you for spotting the error, Osjur.

Consequently, I have made some changes.

12. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    @Osjur - which filter did you use? edge or normal?

I dont think Edge works with MSAA.

13. Osjur

Osjur Member

GPU:
    Radeon Fury X
    @The Mac

I used standard filter. Otherwise I would have written something like this: 4xEDMSAA etc. to those screenshots.

Edge Detect should work with 4x and 8x MSAA & Adaptive AA modes, but not with SSAA and 2x MSAA / AAA. Edge Detect filter should also apply even if you are using "Use application settings" Anti-Aliasing Mode, so same as with Adaptive and SSAA which also work in that mode.

I updated my original post with different Edge-Detect modes and made some fixes to my conclusion.

14. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i know its not officially supported by CCC, but what about SMAA through RP?

May not be worth the effort of testing honestly...

15. AATT

AATT Member Guru

GPU:
    which ssaa method is forced by the driver?

OG/RG/SG/JG?

16. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Ordered Grid i believe.

17. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Sparse Grid

[​IMG]

18. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    woops, my bad...

19. AATT

AATT Member Guru

GPU:
    thx

any chance to use the other ones somehow, just to test it?
    would it make sense anyway?

20. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    its in hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.