Catalyst 8.8 OFICIAL!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RBEJ, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Well quake wars certainly stuttered alot and thats with catalyst AI disabled too, the beta ones certainly werent doing that

2. Darkuser

Darkuser Member

GPU:
    HD4870
    Actually the supersampling/multisampling menu doesn't let you choose between the two. When you turn on adaptive AA you are always using both, the driver chooses when it should use either one. So when you were using that drop box you just were choosing the quality of each one, not choosing one or the other.

3. NitroNitrous

NitroNitrous Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9800m GTS 1024mb
    Thanks. This happens to me with every settings, my own settings or the standard settings, is weird. I think I knew what overlay was, the thing is because I have it in Spanish I didnĀ“t notice what you were talking about XD
    Well, I still have to test it but I think the problem is that Fraps loads too much quickly when Windows boots, much before than CCC, because if I run fraps once Windows is loaded, it works fine. But, I am not sure yet about this...

4. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    That's possibly because quakewars is crap.

5. Cairo

Cairo Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE HD4870 @800/1050
    Feed back with Official 8.8 here
    First of all i never had any driver issue with the previous drivers with my 4870 except with Crysis which was performance related

I couldn't ran it on very high (DX10)and 1440*900 0aa with smooth frames even with 8.8 Beta
    I had a lot of stuttering here and there
    But after i installed 8.8 final the game plays very smooth.. I can say it incredible now and completely very playable i guess it ran on 24 - 25 FPS which I don't care because its not related in Crysis

I even put some aa Reached 4X aa with out any Stuttering problem any more of course i got hit in FPS and the game play became heavier , but there's still some tweaks and overclocking to be done

another thing the AA seems to be very effective in Crysis with My new 4870 comparing to my previous 8800GT

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  6. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Agreed - crysis does seem a lot smoother with these drivers - i'd say 90% of the stuttering has gone for me still not as smooth as xp but much much better.....

7. Alaric Kell

Alaric Kell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 280 OC-2
    Gah!

First ran clean format with Vista Ultimate 64...Various oddities that never existed with 8.7 came up...Very little performance change (and no, I will never use Crysis, that is the shooter variant to EverCrack, and even if someone paid me over 50 million dollars to run it, plus the cost of the game, I still would refuse it, I have many other DX10 games that do just fine for framerate measurements)....

Just for the hell of it (and because I like to run older games), I changed over to a fresh format of XP Pro, 8.7 had no issues, and that's running all Mech Warrior 4 games, all Mech Commander games, and all Command and Conquer games, including the RA3 beta which I am a part of....

Tried a clean install for 8.8, and the colors got all out of line compared with 8.7, and again, the performance change was nothing either way.

ATI (or should I say, their slave-owners, AMD), keeps pushing one half-ass driver after the other. Damned straight I'm not buying a damned 4870. I have three other guys here in my town that we test new hardware with, and two of them Quadded-up 4870's, and they have had nothing but buggy crap thanks to these drivers recently.

NV is of course no better off than AMD and their ATI mansciples, but frankly, both can screw with each other for eternity while I just watch the **** fly between them. It's like watching politicians, asides from a pathetic display of pre-puberty name-calling and other such nonsense, nothing will ever change, no matter who gets voted for.

All we can do is sit back and laugh while they have their little pissing contests.

I know people around here live by the "if it ain't broke, tweak it!" mentality, but I use both old and new software apps and games, and I even had to use a damned X1950 Pro-based PC build just to run some of the old stuff that I have used for many years, to develop new games (and mods) with...Seems like any ATI board coming from the HD-series has problems supporting pre-DX8 games...Shame.

8.7 runs both my new and old games (new including some things like Assassin's Creed, World In Conflict, Devil May Cry 4, and other DX10 titles) just fine, and the colors are not always washed-out like they have been with other drivers.

This is with both XP and Vista, though the color imbalance is more noticed with Vista, XP never seems to have colors that run (lol)....

I have a format routine setup about every two months, just in case a new driver DOES come out, that actually WORKS as well as the last one did...The chances of that are increasingly remote, but I can still hope, anyway...

I'd say stick with 8.7 unless you are one of those Crysis/3DMark addicts that pop those pills worse than EverCrackers do, but if you can't do performance testing without using Crysis and 3DMark, then you've probably had enough :D

8. Jibboom

Jibboom Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870x2
    Or unless other driver sets just don't work at all for you ;)

9. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    Got my crossfire setup going and i,m geting major texture coruption in quake 4 with these drivers , Works fine with a single card but as soon as i enable crossfire it goes all to h*ll lol

Rolled back to the drivers on the CD , I think they are 8.5 and no issues so far

Going to try 8.6 then 8.7 And see when it brakes lol

Well try other gams this weekend

10. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Just install them with my 2400, working fine and for the first time in a while, CCC loaded up without any issues. Haven't tested any games tho.

11. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Memory: 256 MB
    Version: 2.1.7873 Release
    Shading language version: 1.20
    Max number of light sources: 8
    Max viewport size: 8192 x 8192
    Max texture size: 8192 x 8192
    Max anisotropy: 16
    Max samples: 4
    Max draw buffers: 4
    Max texture coordinates: 8
    Max vertex texture image units: 16

Extensions: 104

GL_AMD_performance_monitor
    GL_ARB_color_buffer_float
    GL_ARB_depth_texture
    GL_ARB_draw_buffers
    GL_ARB_fragment_program
    GL_ARB_fragment_shader
    GL_ARB_multisample
    GL_ARB_multitexture
    GL_ARB_occlusion_query
    GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object
    GL_ARB_point_parameters
    GL_ARB_point_sprite
    GL_ARB_shader_objects
    GL_ARB_shading_language_100
    GL_ARB_shadow
    GL_ARB_shadow_ambient
    GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
    GL_ARB_texture_compression
    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
    GL_ARB_texture_env_add
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
    GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
    GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
    GL_ARB_texture_float
    GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
    GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
    GL_ARB_texture_rectangle
    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
    GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
    GL_ARB_vertex_program
    GL_ARB_vertex_shader
    GL_ARB_window_pos
    GL_ATI_draw_buffers
    GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap
    GL_ATI_fragment_shader
    GL_ATI_meminfo
    GL_ATI_separate_stencil
    GL_ATI_shader_texture_lod
    GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc
    GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3
    GL_ATI_texture_float
    GL_EXT_abgr
    GL_EXT_bgra
    GL_EXT_blend_color
    GL_EXT_blend_func_separate
    GL_EXT_blend_minmax
    GL_EXT_blend_subtract
    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
    GL_EXT_copy_texture
    GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
    GL_EXT_fog_coord
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
    GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters
    GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
    GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil
    GL_EXT_packed_float
    GL_EXT_packed_pixels
    GL_EXT_point_parameters
    GL_EXT_rescale_normal
    GL_EXT_secondary_color
    GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
    GL_EXT_shadow_funcs
    GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
    GL_EXT_subtexture
    GL_EXT_texgen_reflection
    GL_EXT_texture3D
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
    GL_EXT_texture_cube_map
    GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp
    GL_EXT_texture_env_add
    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
    GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3
    GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
    GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
    GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp
    GL_EXT_texture_object
    GL_EXT_texture_rectangle
    GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent
    GL_EXT_texture_sRGB
    GL_EXT_vertex_array
    GL_KTX_buffer_region
    GL_NV_blend_square
    GL_NV_texgen_reflection
    GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
    GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
    GL_SGIS_texture_lod
    GL_WIN_swap_hint
    WGL_ARB_buffer_region
    WGL_ARB_extensions_string
    WGL_ARB_make_current_read
    WGL_ARB_multisample
    WGL_ARB_pbuffer
    WGL_ARB_pixel_format
    WGL_ARB_pixel_format_float
    WGL_ARB_render_texture
    WGL_ATI_pixel_format_float
    WGL_ATI_render_texture_rectangle
    WGL_EXT_extensions_string
    WGL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
    WGL_EXT_pixel_format_packed_float
    WGL_EXT_swap_control

Core features
    v1.1 (100 % - 7/7)
    v1.2 (100 % - 8/8)
    v1.3 (100 % - 9/9)
    v1.4 (100 % - 15/15)
    v1.5 (100 % - 3/3)
    v2.0 (100 % - 10/10)
    v2.1 (100 % - 3/3)

OpenGL driver version check (Current: 6.14.10.7873, Latest known: 2.1.7415 Release):
    Latest version of display drivers found
    According the database, you are running the latest display drivers for your video card.

Compiled vertex array support
    This feature improves OpenGL performance by using video memory to cache transformed vertices.

Multitexture support
    This feature accelerates complex rendering such as lightmaps or environment mapping.

Secondary color support
    This feature provides an alternate method of coloring specular highlights on polygons.

S3TC compression support
    This feature improves texture mapping performance in some applications by using lossy compression.

Texture edge clamp support
    This feature improves texturing quality by adding clamping control to edge texel filtering.

Vertex program support
    This feature enables a wide variety of effects via flexible vertex programming (equivalent to DX8 Vertex Shader.)

Fragment program support
    This feature enables a wide variety of effects via per pixel programming (equivalent to DX9 Pixel Shader.)

Texture anisotropic filtering support
    This feature improves the quality of texture mapping on oblique surfaces.

Occlusion test support
    This feature provides hardware accelerated culling for objects.

Point sprite support
    This feature improves performance in some particle systems.

OpenGL Shading Language support
    This feature enables high level shading language for shaders.

Frame buffer object support
    This feature enables render to texture functionality.

Extension verification:
    GL_ARB_color_buffer_float has been added to the extensions list of ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    GL_ARB_imaging was not found, but has the entry point glBlendEquation
    GL_ATI_shader_texture_lod has been added to the extensions list of ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    GL_EXT_abgr has been added to the extensions list of ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit has been added to the extensions list of ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample has been added to the extensions list of ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    GL_EXT_packed_float has been added to the extensions list of ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent has been added to the extensions list of ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBeginVertexShaderEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBindLightParameterEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBindMaterialParameterEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBindParameterEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBindTexGenParameterEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBindTextureUnitParameterEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBindVertexShaderEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glDeleteVertexShaderEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glDisableVariantClientStateEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glEnableVariantClientStateEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glEndVertexShaderEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glExtractComponentEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGenSymbolsEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGenVertexShadersEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetInvariantBooleanvEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetInvariantFloatvEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetInvariantIntegervEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetLocalConstantBooleanvEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetLocalConstantFloatvEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetLocalConstantIntegervEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetVariantBooleanvEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetVariantFloatvEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetVariantIntegervEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetVariantPointervEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glInsertComponentEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glIsVariantEnabledEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glSetInvariantEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glSetLocalConstantEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glShaderOp1EXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glShaderOp2EXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glShaderOp3EXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glSwizzleEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantPointerEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantbvEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantdvEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantfvEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantivEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantsvEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantubvEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantuivEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantusvEXT
    GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glWriteMaskEXT
    WGL_ARB_pixel_format_float has been added to the extensions list of ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    WGL_EXT_pixel_format_packed_float has been added to the extensions list of ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_client_storage was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_element_array was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_fence was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_float_pixels was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_flush_render was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_object_purgeable was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_packed_pixels was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_specular_vector was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_texture_range was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_transform_hint was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_ARB_half_float_pixel was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_ARB_imaging was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_ARB_vertex_blend was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_EXT_stencil_two_side was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_EXT_transform_feedback was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_NV_fog_distance was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_NV_light_max_exponent was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24
    GL_SGI_color_matrix was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 ATI-1.5.24

I don't believe ATI cares too much about opengl peformance lol

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    He just got pwnd.

Instaling them now ;). Lets see ;]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  13. mal1612

mal1612 New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 512mb
    Does anyone have this problem where the screen res reverts to 1440 by 900 and wont go any higher? Ive had this problem three times now since installing the 8.8 Catalyst drivers.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    ive got several resolution, monitor Hz, and opengl driver problems. but i think thats because my vidcard is quite new, it needs some fixing, like always lol

15. mal1612

mal1612 New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 512mb
    Might have to got back to 8.7's as I never had this problem with those. 1440 by 900 doesnt look good on my 22" monitor:(

16. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Because every month AMD releases WHQL certified drivers, these certifications takes close to 25 days. It's MS fault, not AMD. Beta's aren't official thus offer no support or certification.

:bang:
    Weren't you the guy that claimed to have problems with OpenGL on ATI hardware while it was actually a Direct X game? Or that you are using a 60w PSU?

17. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Dam the AA is the same as 8.7, the 8.52 drivers had higher fps with AA, by 2-5fps max. made a difference if x16 was enabled.New drivers are more stable then the beta though.

18. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    8.8 will not work with Serious Engines like Serious Sam 1st encounter and 2nd encounter. it crashes them immediately. 8.7 works fine.

19. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    3DMark Vantage:

8.7 WHQL: P7010
    8.8 WHQL: P7225

WoW is working fine.

20. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    You don't seem to read either. Yes i am that guy who was telling folks about how ATI doesn't know how to use or care about openGl and i just posted the extensions to prove it. Nvidia does opengl better and the facts are right there which i just posted. And i wasn't having issues with DirectX games, i am was having issues with alot of games. And i am not using a 60watts PSU, its 90watts.