catalyst 8.7 WHQL performance judgement

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by bokloz, Jul 22, 2008.

?

catalyst 8.7 WHQL performance judgement

Poll closed Aug 1, 2008.
  1. THE BEST DRIVER I HAVE EVER SEEN

17.0%
  2. WORK WELL WITH MOST OT THE THINGS

64.8%
  3. WORK WELL WITH SOMETHIGS ONLY

8.0%
  4. THE WORST DRIVER I HAVE EVER SEEN

10.2%
  1. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    Been using this driver for the past 2 days now, works great! COD4 runs very nicely, as with 8.6, but I did see an improvement in GOW, less microstuttering....less and NOT none. Pretty good, but I have noticed that with the 8.6 and this one, Cat AI was set to Advanced by default......

2. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I like the people voting for the worst driver and don't even own ATI cards....

3. kiwiitis

kiwiitis New Member

GPU:
    asus radeon eah3870x2
    I did not vote as I could not give it a fair trial.Was doing a clean installation of vista home 64,used 8.7 which I had previously downloaded and saved.

Whatever I tried could not get 3d applications to load.Reverted back to 8.6 3d applications were back when I ran dxdiag.

Comments anyone?

Regards gramps

4. Monster_Marvin

Monster_Marvin Member

GPU:
    HD7970 @1.125Ghz
    Not exactly the worst drivers ever - but caused probs

Hi,

Tried the 8.7 release. Initially thought they were good (installed a day or so ago). Came to do some online racing with friends on Grid, had random crashes to desktop. In UT3 the driver kept restarting - screen went blank - but the game carried on.

Uninstalled, rebooted in safe mode and cleaned drivers, reinstalled 8.7betas and all is well again. Rock steady performance in all games - even Crysis - smooth 20-30fps V.high at 1680x1050.

Mind you - ther games were fine with both - Stalker, Fear etc all seemed fine.

5. gersen416

gersen416 New Member

GPU:
    HD4850 x2 Crossfire
    Greetings all -

These drivers boosted 3dmark06 Crossfire performance on my two Sapphire 4850's to 19355 w/o overclocking the card from stock 625/993. Catalyst tool reports safe OC to 690/1170. 3dmark06 goes up to 19700 with the OC - may push it further. Important note: Its essential to apply the Catalyst fan hack documented extensively to bring the base operating temp of these cards down to about 47C before you start benchmarking and OCing. Also added a small slot-based case cooler between the HD4850's to help pump out the 110 watts each of these oven elements generates. Call it a poor man's cooling system - top end under load is about 70C which is base temp for the cards w/o the fan hack and the slot cooler.

Feeling the wood right now with my hot cheap gaming date. That week spent in extensive R&D (read cruising every MB and video card review I could find) has paid off huge.

6. Renzeko

Renzeko Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 570 1.2GB
    Lol ^^

I havent tried these drivers but Im just wondering if I am getting any benenift out of downloading new drivers for my old X1950 pro? Or is it better to just stay with the last version that they did support for my hardware?

7. digitaljunky

digitaljunky New Member

GPU:
    Ati HD4870 X2
    Problem solved, new p5q deluxe (beta) bios, fresh XP, installed the 8.7 official driver and now it works ok. Sorry for my quick conclusion :bang:

So for me Its a: Super duper driver!

Dj.

8. Intelman

Intelman Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire 4870 512MB
    Does the 8.7 final make Windows Media Player spike in CPU usage and cause some music to skip for you guys? It doesn't happen right away, but if you browse the web while listening to music, then bring WMP back up, sometimes it will skip. I'm trying to figure out wtf is causing this, I'm thinking it is the 8.7 cats.

9. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    @Intelman: What browser? Firefox has an issue with ATi's drivers, consumes huge amounts of GPU (99% for several seconds) when browing, causing issues for other applications. Also make sure your 3D settings are correct. When I installed 8.7, it reset my 3D settings causing issues in MPC-HC.

10. Intelman

Intelman Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire 4870 512MB
    I use Firefox 3. I guess that could be an issue. I also think it might be Intel ACHI drivers i'm using.

11. Nucleardesire

Nucleardesire Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 4850
    I put it works well with most things, although I haven't noticed any problems with anything, I make my judgement based on what I have read with other users.

My opinion: This is the best driver ATI has released since the 7.11 Cats. Some of the drivers in between have been decent, like the 8.5-8.6 or maybe even the 8.6 beta.

I still am not a fan of the ATI driver itself, it has too many parts. For example, the Nvidia Unified driver is a single .exe, and there are no other requirements. The Cats require all kinds of things that the new user isn't well aware of until it's too late most of the time. Why not just make a unified driver that supports all cards across all platforms, that doesn't require .NET, a seperate AVIVO package etc etc. But then I feel also, when you find a good ATI driver, it seems to work great, and better than Nvidia drivers in most cases.

12. ehsan gamer

ehsan gamer New Member

GPU:
    ATI Club 4850
    Hi guys

I tested it and i couldn't change my fan speed on my 4850 .it's stock on 29% . so again I have heat problems .

13. ReDi

ReDi Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 CF
    Did you unlock ATI Overdrive?
    Did you edit the .xml profile files and change "Automatic" in "Manual"?

14. ehsan gamer

ehsan gamer New Member

GPU:
    ATI Club 4850
    a very interesting thing happened !!!

I can't Even open the CCT !!!

what should I do know ???

15. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Took "Works well with most of the stuff" because there was not a voting option entitled "I do not notice a difference between this and last drivers"

16. goodboy332

goodboy332 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 4850
    Guys, does the Theater Mode work for you? I have one LG monitor on the 1st DVI and one LCD TV on the 2nd DVI (HDMI) out. On Windows XP x86, Theater Mode worked great, but on Vista Ultimate 64, i'm getting only the desktop image, no media player or game at full screen.

17. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    8.6 my system was stuttering 8.7 fixed that :D

18. LucasG

LucasG Member

GPU:
    XFX HD6970 2GB
    About this Fan/Overdrive mod/fix: Is it safe? If it's set to manual and the card is getting very hot, the fan can't speed to up to cool it since it's set at a fixed speed. Does the CCC have some sort of fail-safe to prevent the card from burning out?

19. Nucleardesire

Nucleardesire Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 4850
    Default the fan never spins up very fast anyways, I have it at 60% and it never goes above 50 C even after a long session of COD4.

20. Strifey

Strifey Member

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 4870
    I like the new drivers. They seem basically the same as the 8.6 hotfix though(maybe a little more stable).

Btw, I've had no problems with the fanspeed fix.