Catalyst 6.9 & Onward Driver Issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by zain15, Mar 20, 2007.

1. zain15

zain15 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GS 256MB
    Hello Guys,

I 'm having problems with catalyst 6.9 & above. The frame-rate seems to stutter (minor) after a definite period of time in every game I have, like most wanted, moto-gp 2, juiced etc. The same phenomena was with my pervious graphic card which was radeon 9600 pro. The hdd is defragged, clean formatted at times and my system is free of errors.
    Currently I'm using 6.8 and everything is fine so far. I use new drivers after using driver cleaner pro. My purpose of this post is to find out if the same thing is happening with other people and to know the cure to this particular problem.

Thanks for taking time to read my post!

2. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    ive noticed similar things myself too, really odd stuttering and its been really bad now with 7.2's with BF2 being almost unplayable at times. im just too damn lazy to roll back :p

3. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    The later catalyst drivers dont really offer any benefits for your older cards anyway, so I would stick to your favourite one, probably an early 6.x build would be best.

Even earlier for the 9800 Zain.

4. ombas

ombas Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX560 2GB
    arma devs have noticed there's a memory handle leak in the later catalysts. apparently it goes back a ways. 6.7 is the latest version tested that doesn't have it. (i haven't heard of anyone testing 6.8)
    http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=68;t=58542

5. zain15

zain15 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GS 256MB
    Thanks for the replies! I think it is time to get hold on pci express. Got to change a lot of things for that though. Can anyone recommend me the fastest card in agp 8x which could benefit me with directx 10 games and upcoming titles so that I don't have to go through changing my whole system.

6. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB

I believe the x1950 is the fastest AGP card currently available.

Unfortunately, there are no DX10 cards on the market for the AGP interface, however that may change with the release of nvidia's mid range cards, and AMD's DX10 offerings over the next few months

7. zain15

zain15 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GS 256MB
    Dublin_Gunner, on your advice I'm using an earlier version of catalyst which is 6.4. I got to say it gave me a considerable performance hit. Thanks for your advice. Now that i'm curious, I wish to use even an earlier version say like 5.11 or something but on the ati website they only have catalyst 6.3 and onward. From where I can download an earlier stock version.

Regards

8. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    You got a performance 'hit' going to 6.4?

As far as I remember, I didnt like those drivers, and stuck with 6.3 until 6.6 or 6.7 were released.

Try the 6.3's.

You should be able to get your hands on earlier version from the downloads section right here on Guru3d.

9. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    hmm thats pretty interesting and i wonder if the effects can be seen in other games aswell, certainly seems like it. 6.5's were always a solid set for me so i'll just try them out again. wonder if the new lighter CCC would work with the 6.5 drivers.

10. zain15

zain15 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GS 256MB
    Seems like I have been playing in really bad frame-rate. :p

11. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    So the 6.4 were WORSE than the later ones for you?

Try some even earlier ones and post back how your performance is

12. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX-280 1GB
    I think I'll finally upgrade from the 5.8s to the 6.6s after reading this thread.:)

13. zain15

zain15 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GS 256MB
    Here is what I have experienced from different driver versions:

6.3 - The catalyst control center did not want to open and the frame rates on some games were better than 6.8.

6.4 - There was minor performance increase in some games but not much of a difference. The CCC was working.

6.7 - It's the best I one I believe. In some games I had minor stutters and they are gone now. Really happy with it. Going to to try some 5.XX ones too but I think I can't get much out of my gc more :p

14. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX-280 1GB
    Did you ever try the 6.6s?

15. zain15

zain15 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GS 256MB
    Not yet. Going to take a break from driver testing for few days and check it out as well. I as of now would like to stick with 6.7.