Catalyst 5.1 released!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MrIbra, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Phoenikx

Phoenikx Master Guru

GPU:
    Myself
    Double post. Sorry :)
    Remove it, please.

2. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    Nice all-around FPS boost in pretty much everything... Very noticeable in Source engine games.
    GG ATi :D

3. 99atlantic

99atlantic Member Guru

GPU:
    SLI'd 7800GTX
    I lost ~200 3dmark03 marks, and gained 0.00fps in the counter-strike time-demo........i suck :(

(x800xt pe here)

4. Mad9800

Mad9800 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 9800Pro 256MB Retail
    For me it benches about the same as the 4.12s, feels as smooth in operation and IQ as them as well in Far Cry/UT2004.

Still no DV huh, well Im sorry ATI i'm among those people thats gonna switch back to Nvidia if this "radiance" isnt gonna be included pretty soon.

5. Cynips

Cynips Active Member

GPU:
    Visiontek Xstasy RADEON X800 Pro
    4.12b
    AquaMark3 64,998
    Doom 3 59.0
    CSS StressTest 81.59

AquaMark3 64,633
    Doom 3 59.8
    CSS StressTest 85.47

I'll keep these, as opposed to the final 4.12, but they definitely do not seem to contain the remade OpenGL-drivers. Guess we'll have to wait a little more for those.

6. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    my rig and these drivers arent meant together :( .

this set made me lose performance in pretty much all the games ive tested and the funniest thing is that they said in the release notes that screen flickering on cutscenes in Sid Meier's Pirates when using AA has been fixed...well thats BS cos i just tried and my screen flickers like hell. gonna keep these for a few days and if i dont find anything positive, then i'll reinstall 4.12's.

not a good start of the year driver wise from ati. but this is just how these perform on my machine and who knows, maybe something just went sour during the installation process and i need to reinstall these.

7. oldsysop

oldsysop Member

GPU:
    Ati RADEON 9800 pro
    14958 3DmarkĀ“01
    39456 aquamark3

13515 3DmarkĀ“01
    37821 aquamark3

8. ntfx

ntfx Guest

why do people rely on benchmarks, try out the games more my man...

anyway, when i load up ccc there is nothing in there but the welcome and resolutions change settings. Weird.

9. EnemyOmen

EnemyOmen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD6870
    I love my 9700Pro even without the DV/Radience.
    I never liked it on my 4200 and if/when i get my 6800GT, I probably wont be using DV on that either.

People rely on benchs becuase it shows your overall system performance with changes here and there.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  10. hansje

hansje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 980GTX OC
    I see not much difference in my Race-Games...about the same FPS.
    It seems the 4.12b was not bad at all :)

http://www.3dcenter.de/artikel/catalyst_treibervergleich/

A driver comparison...if you can't read GERMAN, no problem :D

hansje ;)

IMPORTANT: test the Games you play...not 3Dmark or other stuff :p

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005

11. Marcioab

Marcioab Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 6600-256VTD
    OpenGL application = the same

I'm still trying in OpenGL application (CATIA) ... the same 21 Millions Triangles per second as the last drivers. And still have my old Ti4200 with 55 Millions Triangles/s as reference. No test in games yet.

Previous Catalyst 4 drivers were numbered as 8.04, 8.06, 8.08 and this Catalyst 5 (?) now is numbered as 8.09 ...
    So Catalyst 5 !? Is this some kind of simple marking bs, or there some real infrastructure modification like one should expect at each new version ?

Regards and Thank you.

12. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    Re: OpenGL application = the same

They decided to make the drivers based on date released instead of just a standard version number, i.e. year.month (5.1 = 2005.January).

It has nothing to do with huge modifications or anything... Speaking of which I would've expected better out of the first set of the new year :(

13. Barrett777

Barrett777 Guest

Well, the New drivers just suck with the exception of Half Life 2 performance. I love that game but I am not going to play it when I have glitches all over pacific fighters. ATI you guys need to fix this problem!

Funny How Nvidia never really had this many issues...

14. Baldassano

Baldassano Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    ATi seems to be well known for lagging behind in their driver fixes/scheme, but you have to give it to them for at least putting out "Monthly updates"...

Only thing that really worries me about the 5.1's is the "Fixes" show that more things are BROKE then FIXED.. Never a good combination.

I will stick to using the Omega's based on the 4.12's as they are solidin every single thing i do. I have yet to josh into the openGL realm of how much better the nvidia's run, but i am sure that is something ATi knows and is working to correct. These boards are WAY to powerful to overlook such a glaring abnormality.

IMO.

15. FA_KooK

FA_KooK Member

GPU:
    x850xtpe
    Installed 5.1 without the CCC. Nice FPS increase in all games. Image Quality up as well. Pacific Fighters, CS, Far Cry, COD, LOMAC and even NWN all look better and seem to be smoother. Wish they would fix the PF problem but hey there just drivers, right? ;) Without the CCC the refresh rate override shows 85HZ instead of 100HZ for my monitor, oh well.

16. Marcioab

Marcioab Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 6600-256VTD
    Take care: First time I had to get back ...

Rise of Nations (RoN): Several artifacts (diagonal white dashed lines and vertical black lines ) made me get back to the previous December/04 one 4.12 (or 8.082)

Thanks Ehecu to make me understand the date logic ...

Regards,
    Marcio

17. Justin8018

Justin8018 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming
    from what it eems like all the peaple with 9800 128mb cards are getting an increase, ATI edds to start paying more aatentio to their new line of products(x8xx series) unfortunatly i am still using the old as hell 8.07 because as far as i know they are the only ones with the 256mb bug fix please correct me if im wrong. i scored 13k in 3dmark 03, so i think im going to stick with thoose because, with the 8.07 i get 60fps in NFSUG 2and with the 4.12 i tried i get like 20, and i think thats because of the 256mb fix.

18. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    oops I should have read sticky this first

New to the ATi scene - well at least only a week old convert...sorry admins I should have read the sticky first about the 5.1, I posted in wrong spot....

TY for all this input I been reading

19. Phillip04

Phillip04 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7800GT
    Hey justin, any "fix" they put in will be in every driver realease after that. So the 256 mb fix is is the 5.1 also.

20. Yodster

Yodster Member Guru

GPU:
    X1900XT/X1900Master card
    Anyone notice that thier not WHQL certified. I got mine right from ATI and 3DMark03 and 05 says thier not approved. Does this really mean anything?