Catalyst 3.8's Released

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by David Deed, Oct 8, 2003.

1. David

David Guest

thats why ATi only recomends you install new drivers if your having problems lol.

2. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

Grrr, Ok, I'm getting really pissed now. I went from an almost 38,000 aqua3 score with cat 3.7's. and now I'm at 18,000 with 3.8's? Something bad is going on here. I've thouroughly checked all display settings too, in case anyone is wondering.

My card isn't stable oced anymore either, do you think they've maybe done something intentional to mess with people who've bios flashed to pro?

3. David

David Guest

theres been reported heat issues with the 3.8's

my cpu jumped from 40c to 55c idle with these drivers, changed back to 3.7's and went back down to 40c. hate to think of the temp of my card.

4. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

It makes no sense. Like a Wookie on Endor man!

5. jekyl

jekyl Guest

I was getting bad stuttering with these drivers so I switched back to 3.7s. No more stuttering. So far, the 3.7s have performed the best for me. I did see a slight increase in IQ with the 3.8s, especially in Bf1942, but the stuttering was really annoying.

I'm now seeing people talking in the Futuremark forums about temperature increases in 9800s when using the 3.8's. Can anyone confirm this?

6. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

I was having so many problems because of the 3.8's I wasn't paying too much attention to the temps. I can tell you that my comp is back to running perfectly and the only fix I did was removing the 3.8's. These caused major problems for me, not just video problems, but programs refusing to install or run and tons of lag overall.

7. anniebrion

anniebrion Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 9700 Atlantis Pro 128MB DDR DV
    If you have AGP fast wites set on, switch it OFF! 3.8 on my machine the driver crashes with this on though all earlier drivers did not mind FWs on.

8. Spike1977

Spike1977 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon X800 XTPE 256MB VIVO Artic Cooling Rev4
    How do you check the GPU heat, do you guy's use a seperate prog to monitor the heat on the card?

Why don't ATi put a card temp tab in the drivers like Nvidia has for it's FX card's, thats what I would like to see with the 3.9's - a card temp tab.

Would make more sence for the 9800pros anyway!

Any help with the card temp monitor would be great, cause I would like to know if my card is getting hot like people say theirs are.

Spike1977:cool:

9. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Have any of you noticed a big increase of framerate with Unreal 2? It plays much smoother now but it's still an hum drum title. lol I keep it just to test for performance increases because it's graphically demanding when all options are at max.

10. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

Theres no temp probe built into ati cards, the xt's will be the first ones/ You have to manually take a temp probe and measure the metal on the back of the card directly under where the gpu is.

Thanks to anniebrion for the suggestions, but fastwrites were off, and my card wouldn't even work in 8x agp (yes my chipset drivers are updated), it caused an amazing amount of problems, now that the 3.8's are gone, so are the problems. I did nothing else besides remove the 3.8's and voila, system works better than ever.

BTW
    aquamark with 3.4=44,500
    with 3.8=18,000

no lie, LOL.

11. David

David Guest

you should tell ati about the massive performance loss.

12. MaTTeR

MaTTeR Member

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 Pro
    I get a chuckle everytime I see that ATI logo in your sig Dave:) I'll give them the performance but uhmm stability, I dont think so.

13. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

I'm going to do that.

I dont think the drivers themselves are lower performers (not that much at least), I think they just cause massive problems with my rig that screwed up basically everything.

14. David

David Guest

OK after noticing that one of my fans inside my case wasnt firmly connected to motherboard and kept going on and off all the time, i switched back to 3.8's after pushing the connector in all the way and havent had a temperature increase yet. CATALYST 3.8 DRIVERS ROCK!!!

15. JoeESSA

JoeESSA Guest

Bully for you, the 3.8's messed me up quite badly. Never had a situation like it before. System restore and clean reinstall of 3.7's was necessary to get rid of the issues...Now I'm wondering if my card is half fried since 3DMark2001 cause reboot when looping the benchmark...

BTW, no problems with my cooling...

16. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

Sounds like we both had similar problems. Did you use the cat unistaller to get rid of the 3.8's?

17. David

David Guest

I just changed to omega drivers because i seem to be getting better performance with them. so i had to change my sig.

18. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    advertising for Omega now..hehe

19. MaTTeR

MaTTeR Member

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 Pro
    Outstanding:D Too bad OmegaDrive doesn't have access to the source code, man that would be sweet.

20. Resistance

Resistance Guest

Hey everybody the new catalyst rocks big time:D