Catalyst 3.8's Released

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by David Deed, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Beavis

Beavis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K620
  2. MaTTeR

MaTTeR Member

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 Pro
    Nice link, thx.

He says the Cats are the industries most stable driver. I certainly beg to differ, they have a lot of maturing IMHO.

3. Nofool, mine benched about the same in 3dmark2003 (+-4900). have you tried the ATI unistaller. i did and my system seems a lot happier these days

4. RaZoR_Blade

RaZoR_Blade Guest

dont forget that ATI increase Image Quality in 3.8 cats w/o perf loss :D imagine if they kept the same IQ ..:) who cares ? this cats rock

5. anniebrion

anniebrion Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 9700 Atlantis Pro 128MB DDR DV
    Found out what the problem was with my 3.8 cats.

In the BIOS I had the AGP setting to 256M, I've changed this to 64M and also turned OFF fast writes and all seems stable again :)

I agree with most that the IQ is much better and I can now use my LCD screen in full 1280x1024 with no noticable frame loss, I'm very happy with these drivers.

6. svcrawf72

svcrawf72 Guest

I want the graphics to be SHARP and clear with out stutter, no graphical problems when turning AA and AF up with a radeon 9800pro, errr I think that is my problem. I just looked at my box and it doesn't say pro on it. Ummm, Errrr! I hate being in a rush at the store!

ATI, PUT NON-PRO on the boxes next time please!

7. MaTTeR

MaTTeR Member

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 Pro
    Careful changing AGP settings in your BIOS with Catalyst drivers. You might see the famous "delayed write cache" error in Windows when you bootup which will corrupt your drives. Take it from me, it sux.

8. keytone

keytone Member

GPU:
    X850 XT 540/1200
    I used ATI's uninstaller and slapped in the new Cats; I was just a bit impressed by the slightly better IQ until...> I turned off Fast Writes and then, !WOW! Absolutely the BEST graphics quality my computer has ever produced, even better than when I went up to the 3000+ Barton and super-tight RAM for a bit. At this point I don't see how I could do much better, the frame rates are slamming up against the Vsync in all resolutions at full quality, in just about every game. Now it seems like, "what was the big deal?" The games just play right. I haven't checked any benchmarks because I don't give a damn what they would say. Why would I? I hope everyone else has good results as well. KEEP FAST WRITES OFF.

9. RaZoR_Blade

RaZoR_Blade Guest

plz can you tell me whats wrong with fast writes enabled? what does it do ?

whAts the diff enabled or disabled ?

10. i tried turning fastwrites off and I lost about 5fps in UT2003. Other games seemed a bit more choppy as well. My system seems like like FW enabled better.

11. keytone

keytone Member

GPU:
    X850 XT 540/1200
    hrmm... wery interesting... i really don't know what fast writes does or why somthing called 'fast writes' would be anything but good for the graphics system. My little anecdote stands, however, and I've read at several places like tomshardware.com that its a useless feature at best.
    I'm also wondering why even though things are running good now, they seem to change from day to day without a change in settings. One day things will be stutter-free and smooth as glass, then the next they will be quick but with occasional stutter. Everybody's first guess would probably be temperature, but its constant. Then, "maybe you're changing something and not realizing it." Nope, made sure that wasn't it. Is it just a fact of life with an operating system like XP that you don't get deterministic results? How frustrating. Anyway, I don't see any reason not to recommend the new drivers. At least they're free* Good luck

12. MaTTeR

MaTTeR Member

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 Pro
    While I'd love to lay the blame at Micro$oft's feet for the game play problems too, I can't. The Catalyst drivers are just not as stable as they should be. Way too many nasty bugs have existed for over a year now and not even acknowledged. When I pay several hunded dollars for a video card I expect to be able to use it's features as advertised, with Nvidia it was never a problem except slow hardware. ATI hardware is just incredible and the software is incredibly buggy.

13. acillatem

acillatem Member

GPU:
    powercolor x1900xt
    ok i´m having this problem in cat 3.7 in gartdriver on control panel my agp is 8x but when i try to turn on fast write the pc ask me to reboot but when i check the panel fast write is disable i can´t enable the baster.
    When i install 3.8 i was hopping that the problem has gone but no it got worst my by default it sets FW disable and agp 4x, i turn AGP 8x and fastW on when i reboot its all the same agp 4x and FW off.

any sugestions guys please help

thanks

14. Rotterdam

Rotterdam Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 Amp Edition
    I had the same problem, what i did:

- uninstall cat. 3.8 (reboot)
    - Intel software installation utility(reboot)
    - Intel Application accelerator.(reboot)
    - inf. update utility 5.0.2.1003(reboot)
    - Install cat. 3.8(reboot)

And everything worked right again.
    Now I can change fast-writes on and off again
    I can change AGP in1x,2x and 4x (my mobo doesn't support 8x)

And i'd like to recall my bad reply on the 3.8's.
    Ingame they rock, aswell in the Benchmark. (even gained 300 pnts in 3dmark2001): http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7107192

In 3d mark2003 my highscore (oc-ed to 445/378) is now 6448.:D

I hope i helped with this.

Ray

15. acillatem

acillatem Member

GPU:
    powercolor x1900xt
    i have amd :(

16. David

David Guest

make sure you board supports agp 8x and fastwrites, also make sure there enabled in bios.

17. acillatem

acillatem Member

GPU:
    powercolor x1900xt
    yes the motherboard suports and they are on

18. Jokester

Jokester Guest

heres my specs>

1700+@ 2.2ghz 400mhz fsb
    Abit NF-7 2.0
    OCz pc3200 256x2
    Radeon 9700pro
    2xMaxtor 120gb Sata

I have the 3.6's woundering if i should upgrade to 3.8 or 3.7 :)

thanks ;)

19. Junk

Junk Guest

i would install the 3.8's. it doesn't hurt. plus, if you dislike them, you can just reinstall the 3.6's..

20. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

I'm having numerous problems since installing 3.8's last night. Crashes, very low aquamark compared to before, agp stuck on 4x. I going to do some tweaking tonight, but I'm not liking the 3.8 so far. Everything was running perfectly until I installed them. Normally I'd be doing a chipset update, but I dont see why that's necessary now as everything was fine until I put the 3.8's in.