Cat 8.3 and AGP

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by homberg, Mar 6, 2008.

1. homberg

homberg Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AG
    What about AGP? Works?

2. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    Still no Support for HD3850 AGP which is really just freaking awful. But since the HD3850 AGP is really not an officially Product from ATI from what I heard the will be no official Driver support for it in the future also.

Right now I use the PowerColor 8.2 Drivers they are newer than the ones from the Sapphire CD (8.1), are complete with AVIVO, CCC and Smartgart and run better.

We will have to wait until Sapphire (or another HD3850 AGP manufacturer) releases their 8.3 Drivers Set for AGP.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  3. homberg

homberg Member

GPU:
    Powercolor

No drivers for 3850 AGP on PowerColor pages ??

4. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2008

5. homberg

homberg Member

GPU:
    ok, thx...but this from Sapphire work fine for me

6. arctic89

arctic89 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3850AGP
    it doesnt officially support it but i force installed it and everything is working fine

7. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    For me it works like a charm:). On my ATI 1950Pro (still....) I got in 3DMark06 5166 points (~4900 before with 8.1) and on Vista 32bit 5090 (~4890 with 8.1). I like this Hydra Vision stuff on Vista, would be better to be integrated also in drivers for XP like in Vista. Install was without a problem.

About the story with 3850/AGP I fopund that ****in stupid:3eyes:. I wait to see a real benchmark of those cards with supported drivers (wait also for HIS to make a move before buy:infinity:) and hope it will be as soon an possible.

spoook

8. nihilijay

nihilijay Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire x1650 512mb
    so far so good with this driver set (finally).
    although the last 2 drivers WORKED with d3d, i had a BSOD memory crash while playing d3d games, especially online.
    Now i haven't yet tried the online gaming, i played ut2k4 for about 40 min without any issue.

yey seems we AGP owners finally have something that works

9. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X850XT AGP 256MB
    I am not with you.

8.3 still causes BSOD with looping audio but takes a little longer to reproduce with Oblivion now. Before it took 5 seconds and now I have to wait till (in-game) daylight to reproduce it.

With Hellgate: London I can reproduce it just as quickly as before. You only need to create a new character of class "Summoner" and after 5 seconds while the character animation runs the game crashes (BSOD with looping audio).

So, I would say that nothing has happened in the AGP department.

If I do not see a change then my next card will be Nvidia. Actually, I cannot wait to buy me a new card and to leave this mess behind.

Now I am going back to Omega drivers again. They do work.

And not to forget: send feedback to the ATI Catastrophe Crew.

Sven

EDIT:
    I also changed AGP from 8X to 4X, FastWrites to OFF, and lots of other BIOS values to AUTO and still get BSODs with 8.3. My hardware runs stable for quite a while but you never know. Still, it crashes. Very sad.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  10. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    This is interesting:

Previously, 737-31625 offered the 8.1 Hotfix and for XP 32Bit this was a file called: xp32_8.451.4_57941.exe

Now, with the release notes of 8.3 there is a 737-31542 and a 8.3 Hotfix with a file called: xp32_8-471-57941.exe

Anyone willing to volunteer in testing what this 8.3 Hotfix does??? I had enough for a day.

11. Pandaman

Pandaman New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 AGP 512 MB
    Presumably it's a driver set that will detect the AGP variants of those cards and install the 8.3 drivers instead of the 8.1 set?

12. Berdyne Hardroc

Berdyne Hardroc Member

GPU:
    Sapphire hd3850 512MB AGP
    Hotfix

the 8.3 hotfix is for agp cards not woking with directx
    Go amd/ati site and search 8.3 hotfix for full explanation.

13. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    Well, I have read both fix descriptions and they say the same only that one fix is now for 8.3. I had assumed that the fix for 8.1 went into 8.2 or 8.3 but if there is a "8.3 hotfix" then this can only mean that the fix is not part of the official 8.3.

Did you get that?

Because I will be going to bed now but people in other parts of the world might be getting up it should be possible to find a volunteer? Preferably one that has a problem with AGP and not just with this thread ;-)

Oh, and do not think you do not have a problem with this thread. Chances are you just do not know about it. Good night! *lol*

Sven

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  14. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    its aite so far, i cant see any fps increases or decreases, but my cod4 closes down more often now... cant guarantee the driver is the source tho

15. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2008

16. Pandaman

Pandaman New Member

GPU:
    The only issue with the 8.3 hotfix is that it's missing the CCC, but I actually figured out a way to install it that 95% works. I started with the older CCC uninstalled and ran the setup for the Powercolor Cat 8.2 package which will correctly detect my card and offer to install the CCC. I went through the process until it asks me which components I want to install, and then I deleted the CCC folder out of the Packages directory and pasted in the folder from the standalone 8.3 CCC package from ATi and continued. Amazingly, it installed and ran without error so I can finally enjoy the new GPU scaling/de-noise/etc. features.

The only snag is that since there's a new folder and MSI for Hydravision, which (obviously) wasn't a part of 8.2, that part doesn't get installed as far as I can tell. I assume it would show up as a part of the CCC or maybe in the start menu somewhere, but I don't see it. There may be some other stuff I could move around to make the program be able to look for and install it but that's really on the backburner right now. I'm happy with this even if Sapphire or whoever never actually repackages the 8.3 with the CCC.

17. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    You can download all components separately, too. Search ATIs download pages.

18. Pandaman

Pandaman New Member

GPU:
    I know you can, but they don't install correctly if they don't detect compatible hardware, and my card falls into the "incompatible" section even though it's technically compatible.

19. nihilijay

nihilijay Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire x1650 512mb
    I take it back tried BF2142 today got instant BSOD yey.
    going to try sapphire 8.3 drivers then perhaps the 8.3 hotfix, well maybe tomorrow

20. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2