Card with low temps for Linux?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Mineria, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Hi Gurus
    I'm building a mini system on which I plan to use Pop! OS for some Linux gaming at either max 1080p or 1440p 60fps
    Which AMD card should I go for that can handle such with lowest possible temperatures on air?
    The case I will use is a Masterbox Q300L, so there will be fans to ensure proper airflow.

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Adding a bit more info.
    PSU is a 550W 80+ Gold with one 8 pin PCIE power connector.
    Old CPU, i7 2600K on an ASUS Maximus Gene and 16GB RAM, will use SSD and most likely Pop! OS as distro.
    Considering either the ASUS 5500XT EVO or a Saphire 5600XT Pulse, but wanted some input from people that have some experience with newer AMD cards and gaming on Linux.
    45-60fps with descent graphic settings will be fine since the monitor only manages 60Hz.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Even RX 580 can be a low temp GPU.
    Sapphire Nitro could be.
    But newer cards are well supported, so 5600XT (with proper BIOS) is one of the best choices.
    Well, Steam and Lutris need to be installed and Bob is your uncle.
    Happy Linux gaming!

4. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    5600xt is way better than 5500xt, get pretty good frame rates, and can down-clock it (or flash a custom bios) if you have the right utilities for the card, to keep temps low and the card fairly quiet.
    A 5500xt would have to strain by comparison to keep up at 1440p.
    Definitely want to go with bare-minimum a 6~8gb card, skip the 4gb models as they're past it's prime if buying new. Most games already required 8gb or sometimes more to max settings at 1440p and some 1080p.

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks for the input, a 5600XT it is then, the card I consider comes with a single 8 pin PCIE connector and has 6GB.
    The 580 comes with 8+6 pin if I recall correct and also draws 30-40 more Watt.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    The Sapphire Nitro comes only with the 8 pin connector and yes, draws more power.