Card running hot

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by silenoz111, Dec 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. silenoz111

silenoz111 New Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 4GB
    I recently got a Zotac GTX970 (ZT-90101-10p) which replaces my Asus GTX 760. Don't get me wrong, the 970 blows the 760 away in terms of performance, but the noise once the fans reach say 40% is quite off putting. My case is open on one side, and I use a small desk fan blowing cool air directly towards the 970, but still get temps above 60c even in a cool room, and a window open near the back of the case. Was playing Skyrim which is heavily modded (ENB) which runs smooth at 1080p full detail, but then the fan noise kicks in. A mate who has the same card suggested I remove the heatsink/fans and add my own thermal paste, said his cards temps lowered somewhat.

Any suggestions in how to keep this card cool?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Temps above 60c? So under 70c then?

No problems there

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yeah 60c is nothing to worry about at all. Hell even 70c isn't something to really be too concerned with. And if the card makes that much noise at only 40% fan then there's probably something wrong with the fan or you just have super sensitive ears. 40% should be fairly silent.

Having one side open all the time can produce higher temps too.

4. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    He has an open case, my G1 sounds terrible playing DAI that pushes quite a high load thus running ~1900 rpm. Well with an open case that is. I would suggest spending some money on a nice cheap fulltower with decent airflow personally. Closed case will probably cut the noise to half of what you're hearing and probably lead to lower temps, or at least ~the same as now.

5. silenoz111

silenoz111 New Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 4GB
    Thanks guys. Guess I'm fretting over nothing. I meant to put 50 not 40% fan speed. I'll put the side panel back on, see if that improves things.

6. vandinz

vandinz Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    I have the same card. Mine runs at around 60-70 with a custom fan curve. Before that at default it was hitting 80. I asked about that and was told Nvidia said that (80) was normal for this card under load. I was like you an flapping a bit but I've calmed down now. :)

7. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Open case is not better than a nice cooling fans setup, 2 front blowing in, one (or 2 small) side fans exhausts out, in addition to back and top exhausts.

I was on the wrong meth that side fan should blow ON GPU, that was totally stupid. Especially on non-reference gpu cooler types.

Custom fan curve also is not a bad idea, but you need some more process working on background, AF or alike..

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  8. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

sides should be blowing in no?

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    There should be no side fans attached at all because they screw up proper air flow patterns.

It's not about pushing as much air as possible into the case or sucking as much air as possible out of the case. It's about pushing the air that enters the case in the proper direction with the proper velocity.