Car Recommendations: Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Subaru

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by [Drazio], May 22, 2012.

1. [Drazio]

[Drazio] Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Lately I've been thinking of replacing my current gutless-gas-guzzling Jeep Liberty (3.7L V6) for something a bit more fuel efficient yet has more "get-up".

Things I'm looking for..
    -Year 2000 or newer
    -$7,500 USD maximum
    -Known for reliability/comfort/great mpg

The thing is I got the Jeep for snowboard trips and traveling out in the dunes for dirt biking, but I rarely do much of that anymore and anyways this thing would probably get stuck....it whines out as it lugs up small hills (didn't notice it until a month of purchasing it :bang: )

Cars I'm interested in
    -Mazda 3 & 6
    -Toyota Camry

As for Subaru, I've had a 93 Impreza..I liked driving around town in it, but on the highway it was like driving a go kart. It felt squirly and the seats got very uncomfortable at long distance travel also every little crack in the road could be felt..Maybe they're better now..? Or the one I had was just sh1t..lol

So specifically which models of these makers do you recommend?

~Thanks

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Subaru or Honda. Both are quality & reliable cars.

3. [Drazio]

[Drazio] Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Specifically which models do you recommend?

Any experience with a Honda Accord Coupe?

4. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Subaru, quality... Riiiiiiight. Those cars are practically built to fall apart.

Honda or Toyota dude, all the way.

5. PinguX

PinguX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280
    Toyota Avensis/Camri are great cars, very reliable, comfortable and decent mpg.

In your in interested in hatchbacks, Honda Civic Type R is pretty good.

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Friend of mine has had a Mazda 3 for years now, never had any major issues with it or so he tells me.

7. RedSeptember

RedSeptember Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 690 4gb
    get a Nissan GTR.... they are dead cheap :)...no they are not..... falling into depression. God I love that car :(

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Remember some of these cars are made in different countries for different markets, and quality can be very market dependent. The cars can seem basically identical but be quite different.

The Mazda 3/6 etc are probably a little overrated. Not at all saying they're a bad vehicle!

Honda and Subaru make high quality vehicles. Not sure about the 'Subaru's made to fall apart' comment earlier, that sounds more like a reference to the Subaru Legacy. I surmise this because the Subaru Legacy for the US market is made in the US. Cars aren't made to last since there is no point with the salting of the roads in the colder states, and also to keep costs down.

In terms of ride quality it Honda's and Subaru's, it depends on the model you get. With sport models you will inevitably get a rougher ride due to the suspension set up, but you gain handling ability. Rough travel doesn't necessarily mean good handling, but soft suspension does mean reduced handling. If you push down on the front or rear of a car it should be firm (meaning you need to push fairly hard), and when it comes back up again it should be a smooth one motion, it shouldn't have a second or subsequent movement or wobble.

For a Subaru, probably a Subaru Forester would be a good choice. The Impreza is a great car, but has a stiffer ride due to being a sports model (particularly the WRX).

In Australia we have the Honda Accord, and the Honda Accord Euro, which are different cars assembled at different plants. I believe the US just gets the standard Honda Accord (which is still a good card).

I really like this model:
    http://www.fpv.com.au/f6_showroom/f6e

But its pretty much Australia/New Zealand only.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  9. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Had 4 Hondas and was pretty happy with them - except the exhaust/muffler never got much past 2 years. Now my cheap Volvo runs still the original after almost 8 years...And the Honda batteries died pretty soon, too. Volvo still has the original.

10. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Volvo all the way.

11. The Michael

The Michael Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Gone through 3 Hondas.
    All of them were in a great condition when i sold them.
    Even my 89 Civic was in a better shape then my buddies 07' Mazda 3 Sport.

I'd say Honda all the way, although the newer models after around 2000 lost their bite,
    they go more towards economy then the older, more sporty models.

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    Volvo is crap.. but yea Honda is awesome has least problems out there i guess

13. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Just a thought. Why don't you go "Holden" - preferably the commodore model.

We have a saying here in NZ. When all else fails, go HOLDEN! they can take a thrashing, and then some.

They rank with quality cars, but at half the price.

Edit: Apparently "Vauxhall" pretty much stole "Holden's" design and then re-badged it as their own car.

14. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    I've had the most problems with Honda, and the least with Toyota. But currently loving my Volvo.

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Holden here is called General Motors. They simply take cars made for the U.S. market and badge them with the Holden logo. Sometimes they give it a slightly different look, like the HSV (which was a Pontiac GTO underneath).

Vauxhall is also owned by GM, btw.

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    The Vauxhall didn't steal Holden's design, the Vauxhall is a rebadged Commodore with some design changes (and also sometimes some non-factory mods).

Assuming the original poster is in the US, he will have to wait until the Chevrolet SS is released before he is able to buy it. It looks like it won't be available with a V6 though.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    You got that the wrong way around. There are no Holden badged cars in Australia currently that are made in the US (although the Malibu is supposedly being offered later).

The HSV is definitely NOT at Pontiac GTO underneath. The Pontiac GTO is a HSV underneath! The Pontiac GTO, Chevrolet Caprice PPV, and the Chevrolet SS are all based on the Commodore range (the PPV based on the Statesman), which are designed, engineered, and built in Australia.

The Holden Cruze is made at the same factory, and is different to the US Cruze models. The Australian model has some local design changes (some of which are very minor), including a locally designed hatchback model. The Cruze is a Korean car originally btw!

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Vauxhall, holden... all are rebranded Opels, mostly (vauxhall is Opel with different logo and name). They all use GM's platform, so results are more or less the same. Just like Seat Ibiza, Volkswagen Polo and Audi A1 use same platform.

At the moment I'm VW-group car fan, so I'd say don't get nay to all.

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    By "made i the U.S." I meant designed and based off of models offered here. You might be right about the HSV, I didn't really do that much research into it. The cars are nearly identical outside of styling though.

And yes, GM steals a lot of car designs to sell here, which is why I'm not a fan of them.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    In the past the Commodore was based on the Opel platform, but wasn't a rebranded Opel. The current Commodore is based on the Australian designed Zeta platform. The only other car that used the Zeta platform is the Chevrolet Camaro (US), which is built in the US but was designed by the Holden design team (something which GM doesn't want the American 'purists' to realise).