Car Freaks!!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by AJĀ²06, Jan 2, 2005.

1. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Pony car's got a smaller engine than a muscle car and is often a smaller car.
    Both generally have live axles as they're designed for a straight line only. A sold rear is good for the straight line.

2. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    live axels? Not familar with that term...

3. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
  4. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    ok... makes sense... so what other kind of axles are there... I didn't know there were different kinds... What they describe is what I would just call "an axle"... :)

5. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    Basic info comin up. I am not going overly technical. No need.
    Solid axle
    Limited Slip- Commonly called the "posi" for posi-traction which was the GM version. Ford had tru trac and I think Chrysler was sure trac. But everyone just says posi. It "balances" (bad word to use), It allows one side to slip so that way you don't smoke the tires every time you turn. In straight line both are applied equally so either side doesn't lose traction.
    Open carrier- I call them one legged axles. Only one axle applies power. You can tell when someone is doing a burnout and you only see one tire doing the burning.
    Locked-Various forms, various names. Too many to name. Both are applied equally with no slip for either side.

Independent axle
    Common for sports cars. each axle can move up and down independently as opposed to the solid that force the other side to be unbalanced. Usually implemented in limited slip form.

6. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    cool... ok so it's mostly in the differential then? I never tought of the ''independant axles'' as axles at all... :p No wonder I was confussed... lol

7. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    I should have added that independents are usually called swingers. You get different answers from different people. I personally hate axles. Not what they do, just fixing them. Rebuilding them stock is alright but modifying them is pretty hard for me for some reason. spacers/shims, lash, crush, and proper mesh. Rather build an engine or auto trans anyday.

8. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    There's independant rear suspension.
    Quasi-independant rear suspension, like a torsen beam
    And solid rear axle (live axle means its a driven axle)
    Thats really the only major types of rear suspension. There's a bunch of sub groups to them.
    generally, the "best" for handling is a multi-link suspension.

9. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    most types of independend rear suspension arent really an axle anymore. there is an explanation on some types here
    btw, for multicylinder engines, what about the brm v16? it was competing in formula 1 in the beginning of the '50s, and was a 1.5 liter v16, producing up to 600bhp at 12000(yes, 12 thousand) rpm. its supposed to make a superb noise, but i haven't heard one yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit: new pic, noticed that the old one stopped working for some reason.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  10. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    cool... learn something new every day :D

11. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    actually yes i do. when entering the highway i floor it and go to 80 as fast as i can. i think thats more common than people racing there cars on a track. for me its all about straight line acceleration. i dont like to whip around corners going 50, i prefer not to go to jail for vehicular manslaughter.

12. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    i dont care what anyone says i am getting the mustang GT for my next car. they are fast, sound great, and have trunk space. slap in a cool air intake and flowmaster axleback exhaust and its all set.

i have a 2001 toyota celica gts now. its ok but you have to rev the **** out of it to get it going as you do all N/A 4 bangers. thats whats nice about muscle, all that low end torque gets you moving right away.

13. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    You floor it but not to it's top speed.

That's not my point, my point is that if you want to compare the performance of two cars you look at both it's straight line and turning capabilities, not only straight line.

Duh?

14. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    :no: you shouldn't speed on public roads... that's what track are for...

15. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    Not to OT, but my family just bought a Prius (and in the ugliest color, seaside pearl)
    XD

(at least they got the "Touring" package for an extra 5k)

16. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    a prius? poor you, i can imagine they want you to drive in it to see how good they think it is.

17. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    I suggested when we were at the Toyota place that we go next door and get an SL55 AMG :D

18. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    They are not bad cars... :) Of course they are not designed with power in mind, but efficancy... It's freaky when you stop at a stop light and it's dead silent... That's gona freak you out for a while satan... lol :D

19. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    im not too sure about the efficiency of hybrids. how much more efficient can they be when the elecricity is generated by the same petrol engine that would normally power the car? add to that the extra weight from the batteries and electric motor, and i find it very hard to believe those hybrids are that more fuel efficient. they have symbolic value, but thats about it as far as the environment is concerned i think.

20. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    I didn't mean to start anything here, I don't know alot about em... :frown: Just that they get better mpg that most of the cars around (at least where I live) so they are popular. Though I have heard that they do better for short stop and go driving and not long distance trips. If I remember correctly the mpg rateing was higher for city than the highway rateing...