Car Freaks!!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by AJĀ²06, Jan 2, 2005.

1. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    I don't think track scores count, 1. because the speed you go around a hairpin on a track and then the speed you go around a hairpin on the streets are VERY Different 2. the roads are half the size of track courses.

I hate going around corners at any speed other than the speed limit, I'm scared I'm going to loose it (I barely hold the steering wheel when I drive).

I think you should only compare acceleration speeds and the amount of traction a car has, because when you race, you need the speed quickly (your not looking to top out your car) and if you have a car that has 0 traction, then your not going to go anywhere, it will look cool. lol

2. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    I'm aware of this but when someone goes "xxx" is faster than "yyy", how else are you going to compare the two?

3. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    then you are thingking the opposite of me. corner speed is one of the best feelings in a car imo. btw, if you can go round a corner quickly, you have a higher starting speed to accelerate from => less time lost in the race.

4. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Yeah but when I race its normally a straight line or one with less than a 30 degree turn of the wheel.

But I see what your saying, but why have a car that can do say 60s on a track, but a 0-60mph in 6sec on the street when you can have a car that does 70s on a track and 0-60mph on the street in 4sec, because unless your using it as a race car its kinda pointless.

However I see both sides of the story, and don't mean to cause arguments, I'm just saying my thing.

5. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    i know what you mean heads_up, and as the romans used to say: De gustibus et de coloribus non disputandem est( in english: you cant argue about tastes and colors). you have your opinion, i have mine, both have their good and bad points, but that doesnt mean one is superior to the other.

6. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    We always called the early Mustangs a pony car because they were a small car with smaller engines/less horses then the muscle cars and mostly girls drove them.

edit: I 'spose while I'm here I better avoid the topic cops and say I always thought the Ford Mclaren GT-40's was a great looking car....

7. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    I am not trying to compair them to anything, just curious if anyone else found an interest in them...

The cars that have been restored are just facinating... The amount of hours and knowing someone took the thing from rust heap to a beautiful masterpiece... :) My uncle built cars when he was younger, ran a business of it... He would hop all over the country going to junk yards and buy parts. He would litteraly build them from the ground up... It was truely amazing to see his work... He was even in several magazines during the 70's... I will have to digg up some pics of some of his cars he built.

Me when I see a car from the 20's (even better the teens) roll bye I stop and look more than if it was a 60's muscle car or even a brand spanking new Firarri... :D

Love the sound of the old timers... Very slow, irregular firing... LOL the ones where you can count the spark fires... lol The horns are sweet sounding too... The oooggahh horns... :D

*looks around* Am I really alone here? :)

8. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    not really, i love the look and sound of a lot of classic cars, but haven't had the opportunity to drive one yet.

9. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    Need? I really don't know what you are trying to say with anything you wrote.

10. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    ohh, me iether.. rode in a bunch, but never driven...

11. bcoupland

bcoupland Master Guru

GPU:
    9300 onboard
    for classic motors - two words

bugatti atlantique

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RL_1938_Bugatti_57SC_Atlantic_34_2.jpg

i'd sell my grandmother for that.

we've gathered that we all like different things in a car, my next one will most likely be diesel (third in a row!) four doors and 200 bhp. all i need.

i wouldn't own a muscle car, but from reading what many have said, i understand what you mean.

12. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    In terms of overseas for styling I have to go with the almighty rolls. The silver cloud is incredible.
    For the americana I have to go with the monster 40s era Cadillacs. They will never be that big again.

13. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    i would love to have something like a duesenberg from the '20s or '30s. those things are miles ahead of pretty much every new car as far as style goes.

14. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Those Atlantics are astonishing. If you ever get the opportunity to have a look at one, check out the tail pipe ;)

I prefer older cars to new ones. The vast majority of new cars don't have anything like as much passion put into them as older ones...an what GM have done to Alfa Romeo is criminal.

An Alfa should be rear wheel drive, light weight, and the V6 ones should be proper engines that actually sound good.

What you get now is an overweight, FWD car with a beautiful body shell...powerred by a GM 'High Feature' V6 engine. Yuk!

This is a real car.

[​IMG]

Napier Bentley, built in 1929. Powerred by an aircraft engine, with a lever to put the brakes on.

I have far more respect for the people who drove those things than people who drive modern F1 cars. Sure they weren't as fast, but you had no wizardry to get you out of trouble! And on those tyres and brakes...that much power and weight. Amazing.

[​IMG]

Pfff...you with your pussy big block ford and chevy engines.

If you're putting a big engine in a car do it right...24 litre Napier W12 :D

That is a truly awesome sounding car.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  15. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti

16. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    Well you bring the 500 horsepower 24 liter.
    Ill bring the 500 horse 7.4 liter.

17. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I was joking ;)

Nevertheless, that is a very cool car IMO.

Given the choice i'd bring the 500hp 1.3 litre turbo lol

18. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    Yeah smaller the better in terms of weight. Bigger(V8,10,12) the better in terms of sound. I can't stand the four bangers.
    :smoke:

19. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Yeah huge multi-cylinder engines do sound sweet. Like those Auto Union V16s!

[​IMG]

Also the old Lambo V12s like in the Miura make a rather fruity noise too

[​IMG]

(I'd have an orange or green one i think...one of the few cars that can get away with colours like that)

20. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    Those cars could pull off pink with black dots