Capping games to 30fps on 60Hz displays

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by InfinityX, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I don´t think that is the root of the problem because actually there are a few rare 30fps smooth games on pc, like Naruto for example, even crysis was good at low framerates (+28fps or so)... and I used to play on a dreamcast using a vga monitor and 30fps played smoothly in progressive mode, same monitor on pc 30fps always lacked.

2. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

Real gamers disable interpolation to improve input lag. Using interpolation adds a few dozens of milliseconds making input lag really disastrous. That's why most TV have game mode where every processing effect is disabled.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, I don't think that is the reason for console 30ps being smoother, especially when nowadays alot of people use the same TV for PC and console games.

I did have an issue with this years ago, playing Uncharted 1 and spent the whole time praising the 30ps framerate, but struggling with the controls and cursing the PS3 pad.

I then noticed frame interpolation was enabled and when turned off it was not pretty on the eyes in comparison, it fixed most of my control issues though .

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 2060
    no way i can easily spot 30 fps and 60 fps , u can see from the mouse movement that there is a small lag when the mouse pans around, 60 fps is super smooth panning the mouse around.

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 2060
    what do u mean frame interpolation, i only have gaming mode on on my samsung tv , i havent seen any frame interpolation option...

6. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's usually advertised as something like 100/120/240hz.

It's only useful for sports, and while it can make 30fps games look better, they feel worse.

7. dieandromeda

dieandromeda Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme WF
    i tried many games in 30fps. there are 2 settings that you should use:-
    1. fullscreen mode
    - vsync on in driver
    - vsync off in game
    - use 30fps limit in rtss

2. borderless
    - vsync off in driver n game
    - windows will auto use their own vsync
    - set display with 30hz

note:
    - i use batch script to change display with 30hz when launching game. it will revert back to original refresh rate if i close the game.
    - only use 30fps if you use controller. mouse will feel lag
    - yea i use 60hz display - samsung 4k tv. playing in couch with ultra setting + 30fps feel smooth.same as playing ps4/xb1 using same display.
    - playing 30fps using mouse and monitor are unacceptable. maybe due to the viewing distance and mouse movement

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Actually most TV's kick into a sort of gaming mode where post processing is disabled in exchange for better latency (when they detect a console).

9. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    My TV is about 5 years old now, but can TV's detect a console, or do you just mean when you pick a label for the HDMI input that is gaming related.
    Similar to things like overscan being disabled when an input is named PC.

dieandromeda, thanks for the tips.