cant use AHCI anymore :(

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by zarker99, Apr 12, 2015.

1. zarker99

zarker99 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire hd 7870 Ghz
    I just upgraded my mobo from a gigabyte M68M-s2p to a z87-d3hp, but if I turn AHCP on as the sata access method I get BSOD when booting to windows 7.

I didn't re-install windows for the new mobo/cpu/ram, just used the same drive. It boots fine when I change to IDE...

I had AHCI turned on with no problems on my previous mobo, so why wont it work with the new one?

anybody have any suggestions?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Different board/chipset you should really reinstall Windows or expect problems like BSODs

AHCI drivers obviously different from the old board, or you didn't have AHCI enabled like you think you did

Reinstall

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    There is a trick to enable AHCI after you installed windows.. IDK the command, but I know windows 7 manager can do it on the fly.

4. zarker99

zarker99 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire hd 7870 Ghz
    I normally would do, but it's for my missus and she always moans about how she always has to re-install everything... :bang:

I'll install the mobo-drivers and do a win-update, check I still have the AHCI flag set in registry then try the mobo-AHCI setting again...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  6. zarker99

zarker99 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire hd 7870 Ghz
    thanks :) I just checked and its set correctly. Oh well, I'll leave it set as IDE, she'll never notice the difference...

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  9. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    You went from an AMD board to an Intel one, so not too surprised some issue would come up. Old board had Nvidia nForce storage controller while new one is Intel. Win 7 should be smart enough to handle such changes, but it may not be perfect. Personally I would just do a fresh install. To cut down on time, you could use easy transfer for OS and program settings and import them back into the fresh install.

11. zarker99

zarker99 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire hd 7870 Ghz
    to tell the truth I had problems on the old board using AHCI. There were two places to select it (forget where). if I changed one I had the same boot failure as now, but when selecting the other one as AHCI it worked fine.

No idea what the differences were. On the new board I also have two places to select AHCI or IDE, but it fails when I use either.

Do I need to go into safe-mode after first boot when changing to AHCI? (this is probably a moot point as she's banned me from using her PC now LOL)

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    IF os is installed with ACHI system will only boot in ACHI else it will BSOD same for IDE if it isntalled with IDE must be used for BSOD only way around this is regedit before changing from the 2.

ACHI mode or IDE mode

13. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    nope. If its installed in IDE you cannot set it in bios to ACHI without BSOD, but if installed under ACHI it WILL boot with IDE( at least with Windows 7 ). I had this mess before and its not worth hacking it to get it to work, reinstall is less painful. I had my BIOS set to IDE the past 2-3 weeks as i was messing with OC and forgot when BIOS reset that it was on IDE.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have installed on ACHI on 3 pc windows and if i switch to ide on any of them windows 7 will not boot and bsod.

That or i just really unlucky. either way 3 months ago my system rebooted on me out of the blue, and refused to boot and bsod I went in my bios and some how my bios got set back to IDE, and i had to put it back to ACHI for the BSOD to stop other wise system would not stop the endless bsod when windows tried to to load.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  15. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    i dont know, im only giving my experience as i installed an SSD last week for GTAV and benchmarked my OS SSD and the new one and performance was crap and saw it was set to IDE in the bios( and obviously booting ), changing it to ACHI gave me back my performance. Could be down to the version of Intel RST installed, i was on default windows and just updated it yesterday.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    who know PC and computer in general do the strangest stuff some times that goes against every you know.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    As I get it, when both IDE and AHCI drivers are present (registered) in OS and their start is not disabled then OS can freely switch from one mode to another.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you follow the instructions in the link I posted, you can freely switch between AHCI, RAID and IDE at will. I do it all the time.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Irreverent I put it on ACHI and left it on that since I have no reason to put back to IDE ever

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Doesn't change the fact that everyone saying it's not possible are all completely wrong. MS actually intended for Windows to be able to switch between IDE, AHCI and RAID at will.